Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Drouin's stats so far are amongst the best in the league. His excellence is irrefutable. He's a key piece of the best line in the league. His plus-minus is great. He has been setting up goal after goal and his defensive coverage has been earning raves by the TV analysts. And this asinine hockey discussion board sees one silly post after another. Look, I'm as much of an anglo rights lunatic as the next guy but the nonsense narrative of Drouin only being here because he's French is nauseating and untrue and is constantly being disproven with every shift of every game. To take aim at Drouin is blindly malevolent and statistically unjustified by all measurable metrics. So stop cowering in your hatred and fear and start embracing the actual success and excellence of this player.

Drouin was our best foward before his injury last year. Fact

Drouin has been playing very solid hockey on 200 ft. since the start of the season. Fact

Drouin has been competing hard and giving a consistent effort so far this season. Fact

Drouin is creating ton of scoring chances while limiting the mistakes and the lower % plays he used to do in the past. Fact

Drouin is an improved hockey player. Fact

People that keeps disliking him is a non sense to me. They are probably still crying on Sergachev, who is used on a third pairing BTW.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You can clearly see him gain more confidence as each game goes by this year. He could easily have 5+ goals if he could pick corners a bit more. Don't know the stats but he's been in a lot of high danger shot areas but can't seem to snipe. His shot is actually not that bad so I can see him scoring some big ones for us if he keeps improving his confidence and his time and space is improved cause Suzuki and Anderson is also drawing attention.

It's nice to see him doing better for sure! We need him!

He does little things this year that helps a lot and isn't affraid to go in the corners. I like it.
As of now, he's well worth his contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He does little things this year that helps a lot and isn't affraid to go in the corners. I like it.
As of now, he's well worth his contract

He was slow on the maturity scale and his prime years have come at the same time we improved our roster. It all adds up to where we are today and Drouin is doing what he should be doing at the moment and what we expected from him when we traded for him.

He's been a true team guy through his struggles and that counts for something in my books. Danault looks to have a setback this year in production due to rolling three 2nd lines so hopefully Danault becomes a good team guy as well if he struggles to score 5-10 goals and 30-40 points. How players react in humbling experiences is undetermined. Do they blame others or do they look within? We are going to find out with Danault

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouboumaster

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are going to die on a hill because you just committed to a silly ancient narrative that you just can't let go of, in spite of endless proof. Drouin has been exemplary in every way this season and before yet the misinformed abuse continues. This board was once a haven for intelligent people and yet this silly and forever-ongoing hatred for Drouin just betrays those of us who actually understand hockey and watch the games. Try to adjust guys. The data is in and you are simply wrong.

I literally posted data. That showed you were wrong.. so?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I think we should move Drouin right now when his stock is highest. I think he’s leeching off Suzuki and Anderson.

Reactions: Mia

Megaforce

Might sound like that to you but then again maybe that's the sound of the collapsing nonsense in your head.

Just last night for example I noticed a relatively trivial play, some unidentified Hab was on the far boards circled by a bunch of guys chasing him for the puck. The player made 4 or 5 lightning fast stickhandling maneuvers and steered out of the group and then fed a pass over to a teammate moving forward on a rush. I thought "geez, who's the player who did that Kovalesque bit of dipsy-doodle?" voila it was Drouin.

I love to see high skill plays. That's why I like hockey. Not to see guys grind and bustle and cycle like the Gallagher line. Drouin is the guy bringing the Kovalev to the team.
The only times Drouin has been playing sub-par since he came here is when he was injured and forced to play. It was unfair to make Drouin play when he was clearly hurt but I guess it's a testament to their faith in him that they consider him necessary even when unable to play properly.

As a bonus, here's an exchange among Tampa fans on Sergachev in a recent performance:
Sergachev is trying to much holy f*** ...
#172 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Sergachev with Hedman is not good ...
33 Posts
#206 - DFCJanuary 23, 2021
LOL Sergachev, reminding us he's 21.
3 Posts
#210 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Wtf is Sergachev thinking ...
#212 - The Macho KingJanuary 23, 2021
Sergachev with an abysmal PP lol..
38 Posts
#282 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Wow Sergachev...... awful game ...
7 Posts
#290 - gn2007January 23, 2021

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
As one of Drouin's biggest detractors here, I gotta admit he's been playing better lately; he still floats waaaay too much for my liking, but he's gotten better hustling in the last few games...that's my biggest problem with the kid; he's got soooo much natural talent, has since he was with the Mooseheads here in Halifax, that he's never really had to put his arse to the grindstone and work really hard...if he could ever match his drive & determination with his talent level, he'd be an absolute marvel of a player; I just have never gotten the feeling from watching him (and I've watched him close since his Moosehead days) that he actually has that spark in him...hope he does prove me wrong and am very happy he's been showing more lately...

Reactions: Mia

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Last night I watched him create two goals in which he wasn't credited an assist. So, if he was credited a third or fourth assist, yet won a puck battle in the corner and created the play, waiting for his teammates to get into position and dragging defenders towards him. Does that somehow make his play less valuable, just because the primary assist passes off to the shooter? I dunno, watching him I have been impressed with his play. Clearly a very smart player and has silky mits! I wish he would shoot more! over 60 percent last year and this year shots through percentage.

I understand that primary assists 'create' goals, but i don't think we can discredit secondary assists without analyzing his actual play.. Example, I cycle in the offensive zone for 10 seconds, deke out three players, pass off to the D, that D shoots, and his shot is tipped in front. I get the secondary assist but I created much of the play. Anyways, i guess sample size is important, if someone is continually getting primary assists, I guess they are doing something right, lol. But, i feel like it's hard to just look at numbers without giving an account of what the assists were like.

Reactions: Vachon23 and dralaf

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I admit I have a huge bias against Drouin from his play of previous seasons. What worries me the most about him is that he seems to be a mentally weak player, he performs when there is less pressure.

Now that he's offering better it bodes well for us though, either we sell high or keep him and he continues to build on his confidence and his two-way play.

P.S. I notice he's been getting a lot of secondary assists but I think many of those are from plays he created.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Drouin was our best foward before his injury last year. Fact

Drouin has been playing very solid hockey on 200 ft. since the start of the season. Fact

Drouin has been competing hard and giving a consistent effort so far this season. Fact

Drouin is creating ton of scoring chances while limiting the mistakes and the lower % plays he used to do in the past. Fact

Drouin is an improved hockey player. Fact

People that keeps disliking him is a non sense to me. They are probably still crying on Sergachev, who is used on a third pairing BTW.

Drouin has been good, his effort has been good. I wouldn't say he's creating a ton of chances but semantics. He's put up a lot of secondary assists and he doesn't really drive play like you'd like but he's a good piece. It's important to have a high skill guy like that somewhere in your lineup. I do wish he used his shot more (11 shots in 10 games!) and I def wish he was better on the PP but part of the Drouin experience is either focusing on the positives or negatives because both tend to standout. I'm cool with Drouin, flaws and all, as long as his effort level is high and he's engaged and he has been this year. So far, so good.

In terms of Sergachev, no point rehashing the trade but he's being very clearly used as Tampa's 3 behind Hedman and McD in terms of ESTOI and general TOI. They've deployed a big 3 obviously because after Sergachev there's a pretty big gap in usage. He's a good player, I wish him well.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
And Tyler Toffoli is used on a third line. By definition teams with depth have players on their depth chart lower than their league-wide ranking.

Tampa using Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev separately so they can all run their own pairings and maximize the time one of the three is on the ice is not the same thing as him being "a third pairing D". He plays 18:06/game at even strength. Third on Tampa behind Hedman and McDonagh at 20/19, 2 more minutes than Weber, and more than any Canadiens dman except for Chiarot at 18:16. Twisting that usage into "used on a third pairing" is utterly absurd and completely misrepresents him as a player.

Anyway, I'm just not really sure I see it this year compared to the prevailing sentiment in this thread. He's picked up some secondary assists so when you watch his mistakes and remind yourself he's PPG they don't seem so bad, but otherwise I'm not really seeing this new and improved engaged top 6 forward everyone else seems to be. Don't really see any indication he's more engaged defensively or doing the little things, and offensive zone plays still die on his stick just as much when he loses the puck at the blueline instead of cycling.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Since when is this news? He's improved on being a defensive liability and has found a way to benefit his line as a playmaker and facilitator. He's changed his game and that's a good thing for the Habs.

If you think he has the potential to be a strong defensive player or a Panarin-level playmaker that's great, keep setting those expectations. Otherwise, it's a given that he's going to try to minimize his defensive responsibilities and get secondary assists as a playmaker on his line.

Drouin could score 30 points on the way to the Cup and WTK will say he sucks.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Might sound like that to you but then again maybe that's the sound of the collapsing nonsense in your head.

Just last night for example I noticed a relatively trivial play, some unidentified Hab was on the far boards circled by a bunch of guys chasing him for the puck. The player made 4 or 5 lightning fast stickhandling maneuvers and steered out of the group and then fed a pass over to a teammate moving forward on a rush. I thought "geez, who's the player who did that Kovalesque bit of dipsy-doodle?" voila it was Drouin.

I love to see high skill plays. That's why I like hockey. Not to see guys grind and bustle and cycle like the Gallagher line. Drouin is the guy bringing the Kovalev to the team.
The only times Drouin has been playing sub-par since he came here is when he was injured and forced to play. It was unfair to make Drouin play when he was clearly hurt but I guess it's a testament to their faith in him that they consider him necessary even when unable to play properly.

As a bonus, here's an exchange among Tampa fans on Sergachev in a recent performance:
#172 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Sergachev with Hedman is not good ...
33 Posts
#206 - DFCJanuary 23, 2021
LOL Sergachev, reminding us he's 21.
3 Posts
#210 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Wtf is Sergachev thinking ...
#212 - The Macho KingJanuary 23, 2021
Sergachev with an abysmal PP lol..
38 Posts
#282 - Sky04January 23, 2021
Wow Sergachev...... awful game ...
7 Posts
#290 - gn2007January 23, 2021
Is this is true?
The way I see it, Sergy isn't such a great D.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
And Tyler Toffoli is used on a third line. By definition teams with depth have players on their depth chart lower than their league-wide ranking.

Tampa using Hedman, McDonagh, and Sergachev separately so they can all run their own pairings and maximize the time one of the three is on the ice is not the same thing as him being "a third pairing D". He plays 18:06/game at even strength. Third on Tampa behind Hedman and McDonagh at 20/19, 2 more minutes than Weber, and more than any Canadiens dman except for Chiarot at 18:16. Twisting that usage into "used on a third pairing" is utterly absurd and completely misrepresents him as a player.

Anyway, I'm just not really sure I see it this year compared to the prevailing sentiment in this thread. He's picked up some secondary assists so when you watch his mistakes and remind yourself he's PPG they don't seem so bad, but otherwise I'm not really seeing this new and improved engaged top 6 forward everyone else seems to be. Don't really see any indication he's more engaged defensively or doing the little things, and offensive zone plays still die on his stick just as much when he loses the puck at the blueline instead of cycling.

Because you're not watching him play. I see no other explanation.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Honestly I think Ehlers is a good comparable. He won’t drive a line on his own, but playing with other skill guys will shine his game.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Drouin is playing a lot smarter than in the past. Hopefully he has turned the corner and will find consistency. I think he tops out at a 60+ point winger if attached to Suzuki.

Reactions: sergejean

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Honestly I think Ehlers is a good comparable. He won’t drive a line on his own, but playing with other skill guys will shine his game.

Difference is Ehlers shoots and get goals more regularly but, a fair comparison, in general.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Drouin is playing a lot smarter than in the past. Hopefully he has turned the corner and will find consistency. I think he tops out at a 60+ point winger if attached to Suzuki.

I doubt Drouin could ever be a PPG winger but, he should top off at around .8 PPG, .85PPG in a career year. A season or two with 70 points wouldn't be surprising but, he would need to shoot more for that ever to happen. Mixing things up will also help improve his playmaking production.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Drouin could score 30 points on the way to the Cup and WTK will say he sucks.

Yeah, the guy who watched Drouin's junior career and appreciated everything he did as part of bringing the president's cup and memorial cup to Halifax is an irrational hater.

I've always wanted him to succeed but I'm not gonna let his Mooseheads career or the fact he's a Hab color over the fact that he's an extremely flawed hockey player who gets a pass from scoreboard watchers.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah, the guy who watched Drouin's junior career and appreciated everything he did as part of bringing the president's cup and memorial cup to Halifax is an irrational hater.

I've always wanted him to succeed but I'm not gonna let his Mooseheads career or the fact he's a Hab color over the fact that he's an extremely flawed hockey player who gets a pass from scoreboard watchers.

If that was remotely true you’d admit that he’s much better this season in all three zones. And he helps that line work. Regardless if you think his contributions offensively are small, the line works.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You can tell he's better not just point wise. He's pressuring people better. His forechecking and pressure on d-men have resulted in many plays. Take for example his breakaway goal.

It's encouraging because Drouin isn't noted for that type of play. Usually its other players on the team forcing turnovers. Glad to see he's pulling in same direction as the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad