Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
for the life of me I don't understand how someone who gets paid 6M, scored one goal in like 30 games with a handful of proxy assist, is all of a sudden playing great. He kills EVERY offensive play. EVERY SINGLE ONE. If he weren't a Hab he'd be in Galchenyuk territory for now. He is absolutely worthless and a complete cream puff.

These past 3 or 4 games have been some of Drouin's best 2way games have seen him plays in a Habs sweater. It's almost as if he finally understand the system and is able to execute it properly. Drouin is more implicated defensively and physically, making nice reads in the o-zone, even had a few successful dekes in tight that led to scoring chances. He needs to keep this up while he waits for Suzuki to get out of his funk tho. When all 3 are clicking and playing well, they're the Habs best line.
Believe it or not, both these statements are true. Drouin is supposed to be part of our primary offence, which means he needs to score and/or directly set up goals. On the surface, 11 pts is good, but his contributions have mostly been secondary and passive. And no matter how you parse it, one goal isn't nearly enough.

On the other hand, he has improved his positioning and defensive awareness. He's not exactly strong on the boards, but he's better than he was.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
for the life of me I don't understand how someone who gets paid 6M, scored one goal in like 30 games with a handful of proxy assist, is all of a sudden playing great. He kills EVERY offensive play. EVERY SINGLE ONE. If he weren't a Hab he'd be in Galchenyuk territory for now. He is absolutely worthless and a complete cream puff.
Sorry your message is in a wrong thread
This one is about Drouin .
You're welcome .Thanks

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You are going to die on a hill because you just committed to a silly ancient narrative that you just can't let go of, in spite of endless proof. Drouin has been exemplary in every way this season and before yet the misinformed abuse continues. This board was once a haven for intelligent people and yet this silly and forever-ongoing hatred for Drouin just betrays those of us who actually understand hockey and watch the games. Try to adjust guys. The data is in and you are simply wrong.
i have seen on this forum a fan (one of the same group that are on the back of Drouin and Danault) accusing Ribiero for a Habs defeat. It was the same kind of narrative, the player played this and that wrong way...In fact, that game, Ribiero didn't play at all. He was out that night, but the accusations were still there, and it was because of him that the Habs lost the game.

You will never change the mind of those people with your arguments, because their "opinions" aren't hockey related

Reactions: dralaf

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
i have seen on this forum a fan (one of the same group that are on the back of Drouin and Danault) accusing Ribiero for a Habs defeat. It was the same kind of narrative, the player played this and that wrong way...In fact, that game, Ribiero didn't play at all. He was out that night, but the accusations were still there, and it was because of him that the Habs lost the game.

You will never change the mind of those people with your arguments, because their "opinions" aren't hockey related
Your defence of Drouin & Danault would carry more weight if they'd scored more than one goal combined. As of today, they deserve to be criticized.

Reactions: habdynasty

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Your defence of Drouin & Danault would carry more weight if they'd scored more than one goal combined. As of today, they deserve to be criticized.

When it comes to drouin’s goal totals I genuinely don’t care right now. As long as team is scoring enough I’m happy.

it’s when the games get close and he isn’t shooting or scoring that it will be more apparent. We’ve lost a few times recently and it’s games like that you hope someone besides the usual suspects pots one in.

Reactions: ZUKI

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I am unsure what games you are watching. He’s clearly playing well. Not saying it will last but so far so good.
Hey, I can certainly appreciate we can watch the same game, and see different things. Opinions are just that....I am not seeing him playing well early in the season at this point.
Too soft, too many giveaways for my liking. Still very much a perimeter player...the reason his linemates score, is they go to the net. He doesn't....he seems to spend too much time below the goal line somenights, even on a PP. His high risk passes get intercepted more often than not...
Let's see what the next 10-12 games bring...

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I would be okay to give Drouin more freedom.

When was the last time he tried to deke a defenseman?

Marchand tries it 100 times per game.

Reactions: Dutronc

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
When it comes to drouin’s goal totals I genuinely don’t care right now. As long as team is scoring enough I’m happy.

it’s when the games get close and he isn’t shooting or scoring that it will be more apparent. We’ve lost a few times recently and it’s games like that you hope someone besides the usual suspects pots one in.
Overall, I agree that as long as the team wins I don't care about individual players. But like you said, we need everyone playing up to their capacity when games are close and for the playoffs. That's when chronic underperformance is unacceptable. Unfortunately, a few of our regulars are in that category.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I would be okay to give Drouin more freedom.

When was the last time he tried to deke a defenseman?

Marchand tries it 100 times per game.

It is weird, Drouin has a few points but he's invisible. I can't think of a single Drouin moment so far this year, but I can recall a lot of other players. It's not that he's playing horrible, but that's a lot of money for secondary assists and no physical play. I still think this team is too small up front, so if they moved him for more sandpaper/size up front I wouldn't cry.

Reactions: Habs13 and montreal

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Then where are all those critics of KK ; he also just score one goal ? you are so funny

Reactions: Dutronc

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
It is weird, Drouin has a few points but he's invisible. I can't think of a single Drouin moment so far this year, but I can recall a lot of other players. It's not that he's playing horrible, but that's a lot of money for secondary assists and no physical play. I still think this team is too small up front, so if they moved him for more sandpaper/size up front I wouldn't cry.
He's not invisible, you don't see him because you're blind

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Believe it or not, both these statements are true. Drouin is supposed to be part of our primary offence, which means he needs to score and/or directly set up goals. On the surface, 11 pts is good, but his contributions have mostly been secondary and passive. And no matter how you parse it, one goal isn't nearly enough.

On the other hand, he has improved his positioning and defensive awareness. He's not exactly strong on the boards, but he's better than he was.

For Drouin 60% of assists are secondary which sounds bad but if you look across the NHL you realize it's really not. Ehlers is at the top with almost 86% of his assists being secondary ones. Eichel is at 78%, Crosby is at 71%, Gallagher is at 67%, Bergeron is at 64%, and it goes on.

So yes Drouin needs to score more goals, but complaining about secondary assists seems like hating.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Drouin is playing well this season but still needs to score more goals.

1 goal in 15 matches is not enough for a first liner.

Same goes for alot of player tho.
Suzuki Danault Tatar Kotkaniemi Armia , Weber
When i was playing hockey. Coaching staff were saying an assist is as much valuable than a goal. When martin st-louis was playing minor hockey. His father gave him 5cents every time he had an assist. No cent when he made a goal. He said. He was all the time trying to make a pass, and his fun was to producing his worst line mate. So yyour affirmation about he doesnt score is irrelvelant imo, as long Drouin is able to producing overall. I dont care if he ends up the season with 6 goals and 40 assists on 56 games

Reactions: FF de Mars

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
When i was playing hockey. Coaching staff were saying an assist is as much valuable than a goal. When martin st-louis was playing minor hockey. His father gave him 5cents every time he had an assist. No cent when he made a goal. He said. He was all the time trying to make a pass, and his fun was to producing his worst line mate. So yyour affirmation about he doesnt score is irrelvelant imo, as long Drouin is able to producing overall. I dont care if he ends up the season with 6 goals and 40 assists on 56 games
I agree but I don't expect Toffoli,Anderson or Gallagher to end up with 40 goals each. They gotta produce a bit more.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For Drouin 60% of assists are secondary which sounds bad but if you look across the NHL you realize it's really not. Ehlers is at the top with almost 86% of his assists being secondary ones. Eichel is at 78%, Crosby is at 71%, Gallagher is at 67%, Bergeron is at 64%, and it goes on.

So yes Drouin needs to score more goals, but complaining about secondary assists seems like hating.
There's a huge gap between criticism and hating. I'm pointing out facts without adding any personal editorial. Drouin gets credit for improving his two-way game, however 1 goal won't cut it for a forward playing middle-six minutes and being paid 1st-line dollars. 10 assists is good, if he keeps up that pace I'll revisit my opinion, but Drouin has built a reputation for underperforming. The onus is him to change that perception, not on fans to give him unlimited rope.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

It's 100% relevant. If you can't score 20 goals you become predictable as a player and easy to counter in playoffs with tailor made defense.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There's a huge gap between criticism and hating. I'm pointing out facts without adding any personal editorial. Drouin gets credit for improving his two-way game, however 1 goal won't cut it for a forward playing middle-six minutes and being paid 1st-line dollars. 10 assists is good, if he keeps up that pace I'll revisit my opinion, but Drouin has built a reputation for underperforming. The onus is him to change that perception, not on fans to give him unlimited rope.

I agree that only having 1 goal isn't good enough, even for a guy who is more of a playmaker it's not enough. It would be forgivable if he was getting shots and they simply weren't going in, but his shot totals are also bad. It's something he needs to fix. And I have no issue with someone wanting to see Drouin's play last because yeah he has been inconsistent in the past.

But this idea that secondary assists are passive or don't actually setup goals is most certainly a personal editorial of the facts. Secondary assists aren't inferior to primary ones, as often as not the guy with the secondary assist made a better/more important play then the guy with the primary assist.

And yes it can be considered hating if you are intentionally presenting facts in a way that is misleading. It's like when people talked about Pacioretty getting the majority of his points against teams that didn't make the playoffs while ignoring the fact that the same was true for almost every top scorer. Or Subban and his giveaway numbers when guys like Doughty were also near the top of league.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad