Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Redemption Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree that only having 1 goal isn't good enough, even for a guy who is more of a playmaker it's not enough. It would be forgivable if he was getting shots and they simply weren't going in, but his shot totals are also bad. It's something he needs to fix. And I have no issue with someone wanting to see Drouin's play last because yeah he has been inconsistent in the past.

But this idea that secondary assists are passive or don't actually setup goals is most certainly a personal editorial of the facts. Secondary assists aren't inferior to primary ones, as often as not the guy with the secondary assist made a better/more important play then the guy with the primary assist.

And yes it can be considered hating if you are intentionally presenting facts in a way that is misleading. It's like when people talked about Pacioretty getting the majority of his points against teams that didn't make the playoffs while ignoring the fact that the same was true for almost every top scorer. Or Subban and his giveaway numbers when guys like Doughty were also near the top of league.
Observations and opinions don't have to be tied to emotions. Drouin and his assist totals don't stir up any hate; I'm simply pointing out what I see. I called his one goal a "Goal-scorer's goal" because it was impressive. Likewise, I've been impressed with some of his assists and the uptick in his work ethic. I'm happy to compliment Drouin for what he is and I'll criticize him for what he isn't. I called his offence secondary because I don't see as much control or vision as our top wingers. He's gotten it done recently and that's great, but based on his track record I'm skeptical he can sustain that pace over an entire season. I guess "Skeptical" is an emotion, although I think it's a fair one. But it has nothing to do with hate.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Based on? Hunch? His past performances surely don't lend it self to that........and his 1 goal this season and all that PP time sure don't give us much hope. Shoot out goals wont count....
Just curious as to why you think this?
His assist production is here to stay playing with Anderson. Also think some goals will start to comes as well. Toffoli and Petry will start to level off. All in all, he’s our most gifted offensive player. Watching the games, he’s just generating offence more than anyone else consistently.

Reactions: Dutronc

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
His assist production is here to stay playing with Anderson. Also think some goals will start to comes as well. Toffoli and Petry will start to level off. All in all, he’s our most gifted offensive player. Watching the games, he’s just generating offence more than anyone else consistently.
He's not exactly setting up Anderson. He's been better than he was in past though.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Regarding primary vs secondary assists...Drouin has more primary assists than secondary in his time with the habs.

The whole secondary assist argument isn't really something I look at here.
The "secondary assist" argument some have brought up lately is flat out embarrassing lol

Reactions: Dutronc and dralaf

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It is weird, Drouin has a few points but he's invisible. I can't think of a single Drouin moment so far this year, but I can recall a lot of other players. It's not that he's playing horrible, but that's a lot of money for secondary assists and no physical play. I still think this team is too small up front, so if they moved him for more sandpaper/size up front I wouldn't cry.

His breakaway goal for example:

Pressures the defenseman who makes a mistake, gives Drouin a chance at a breakaway where he makes a solid move.

Not to say he's got a highlight reel of plays but this is a good one.

I don't think he's a one man show nor invisible.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
His breakaway goal for example:

Pressures the defenseman who makes a mistake, gives Drouin a chance at a breakaway where he makes a solid move.

Not to say he's got a highlight reel of plays but this is a good one.

I don't think he's a one man show nor invisible.

I expect more from a player of his hype, salary and skill level.

Reactions: montreal

Megaforce

Sometimes wonder if fans from other teams lurk on the Habs threads and wonder what the heck this nonsense is constantly against Drouin.
Any fan of another team watching the Canadiens will see that Drouin has been playing great and is a serious offensive threat against their team.
They must wonder why a handful of dug-in detractors are dying on a hill with their anti-Drouin notions.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Oh Ferraro now trashing Suzuki and JK because they aren’t near as good as Leafs down the middle

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sometimes wonder if fans from other teams lurk on the Habs threads and wonder what the heck this nonsense is constantly against Drouin.
Any fan of another team watching the Canadiens will see that Drouin has been playing great and is a serious offensive threat against their team.
They must wonder why a handful of dug-in detractors are dying on a hill with their anti-Drouin notions.

Oh yeah? I often wonder if some fans have to take off their blinding homer glasses as well.

orphanizer

Jan 5, 2021
Drouin is playing great to start the year. Just like he's done before. The problem is when he falls off, he can't seem to get back on. Can he can break the inevitable slump instead of continuing to spiral downwards for the next 10-20-30 games? That's what's missing in his game. Because when he's on he's actually a pretty complete top 6 player.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...or...

:thumbu:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Easy there Johnny, yeah I'm on to you.

Reactions: Tighthead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad