Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The guy who’s been terrible this year and is on the verge of being sent down?
Sergachev has 0.5ppg, 2 pp points and is +4 in six games. He's also three years younger than Drouin.

When Drouin was in his second pro season he pouted and demanded a trade and generally was bad all around. He was traded away after his third season. His fourth season was mediocre. He's now in his fifth season.

Reactions: Pickles

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It's called being exposed. He looks just as bad as that 5 on 5 but there are more bodies out there so it is difficult for others to see but not me lol.

Yeah well I thought he would look better as he can use his speed and his skills more freely. It turns out he loses the puck more often and he looks lost when he has to play defense :/

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Every forward is playing the right way but Drouin, I am sure many players are envious of his ice time considering what he brought to the table thus far, you could forgive him if he was producing a lot but like last season that isn't the case. I preferred Galchenyuk over Drouin.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah well I thought he would look better as he can use his speed and his skills more freely. It turns out he loses the puck more often and he looks lost when he has to play defense :/
I think in watching Drouin that his only real focus when he is on the ice is to try and beat guys one on one or one on three and outside of that it appears that he does not care about much else.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sergachev has 0.5ppg, 2 pp points and is +4 in six games. He's also three years younger than Drouin.

When Drouin was in his second pro season he pouted and demanded a trade and generally was bad all around. He was traded away after his third season. His fourth season was mediocre. He's now in his fifth season.
His contract also points to the fact that he should bring a little bit more than he does. I honestly think though that what we see is what we get from him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Kovalev did all of that **** before the Cup (year 2 of his career) and well before the 90 point season (only had 1). Players who have that in their game tend to always have it. Drouin is fine, the micro-analyzing of his game well lead to insane highs and lows. It did with Kovalev too. The forum used to ****ing trash Kovalev after bad games and praise the hell out of him after good ones, now, in hindsight he's obviously remembered very fondly. With Drouin, he's fun to watch. His decision making isn't as bad as people imply and he can handle the puck at high speeds. He needs to use his shot more but either way, no one will care about the highs and lows if he produces. People are on edge because of the lack of production last year. He needs a 65-75 point season to justify this all.

With that said, he's got 5 points in 7 games. 4 points on the PP and 1 on a penalty shot. He NEEDS to be an impact player 5 on 5.

All that said & you acknowledge he's ineffective offensively unless given prime ice time...

Kovalev had 1 95pt season, followed by two more years averaging well over a ppg... Sorry I wasn't specific statistically, point remains he was an impactful offensive player to a degree that, thus far, Drouin shows no indication of being (despite, by all indications, putting in an honest effort... Which Kovalev at various times in his career was guilty of not doing).

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think in watching Drouin that his only real focus when he is on the ice is to try and beat guys one on one or one on three and outside of that it appears that he does not care about much else.

I'm more inclined to view it as a lack of hockey sense, rather than a lack of intention...

He doesn't seem overly selfish so much as he doesn't seem to get how to use his tools effectively

Reactions: schnapshot

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think drouin's passion is to be Alex kovalev. It's not enough for him to be drouin, he needs to be kovalev, and I think it ultimately ends up hurting him.

Drouin has all the tools to be an effective point producer in this league, but he doesn't have the tools to be kovalev. He needs to carve out his own niche, and accept his limitations.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Oof. Y'all were talking about how great he was playing just last game. He's frustrating and inconsistent but we're stuck with him and he is great occasionally.

Sun1126

May 18, 2018
He's a good winger but if its a winger that we were trading for in the end..For sergachev we couldve done a decent package trade and got a bigger star.

Reactions: OldCraig71

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
All that said & you acknowledge he's ineffective offensively unless given prime ice time...

Kovalev had 1 95pt season, followed by two more years averaging well over a ppg... Sorry I wasn't specific statistically, point remains he was an impactful offensive player to a degree that, thus far, Drouin shows no indication of being (despite, by all indications, putting in an honest effort... Which Kovalev at various times in his career was guilty of not doing).

To be fair, Kovy had his 95pts season at the age of 27....at 26 he had 66pts....prior to that never been over 58

So far Drouin at 23 years old is .58 ppg and kovy at the same age was .62

Reactions: KapG

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, Kovy had his 95pts season at the age of 27....at 26 he had 66pts....prior to that never been over 58

What's the production at even strenght for both players? .. and production/icetime?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Would be nice if we could send Drouin to AHL for a while to learn how to play. Not that he would even report, though...

Reactions: OldCraig71

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Yes, that is true.

I don't have the time or energy to dig up his usage in NY as a youngster under Keenan. I wonder if he was getting team leading ice time & as much volume of 1st wave PP time as Drouin has been gifted here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad