Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by ottawa, Oct 15, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. ottawa

ottawa Avatar of the Year*

Old thread full.

He's been great the past couple of games, the Drouin we've been wanting to see...here's to hoping Julien doesn't play with the lines and gives them a few weeks together at the minimum

Drouin - Domi - Lehkonen has a mix of everything and is easily our most skilled line. Playmaking/speed from Drouin, playmaking/grit from Domi and speed/finish from Lehkonen

2. Andrei79

Andrei79 Registered User

He's been very good. He clearly enjoys playing with Domi and Lehkonen. Hasn't been pouty either. Hope it lasts, we need this guy to be good.

Habs Icing likes this.
  3. SergeConstantin74

SergeConstantin74 Always right.

Hopefully he keeps on going. So far his career problem has been consistency.

4. DangerDave

DangerDave Suzuki's Sidekick

No problem with Drouin if he keeps playing like he did these last couple of games.

Kaperi Spacey likes this.
  5. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

I think Domis been perfect for him. He knows he’s got to work and skate as Max will hold him accountable. Plus Domi can skate with him and make plays for him.

cphabs likes this.
  6. TatTar

TatTar Registered User

Sergechev who??

Took him a few games to get use to playing wing again, but he looks like the player we wanted.

7. Beendair Donedat

Beendair Donedat Registered User

Have to give credit, LaFlamme played well and was even blocking shots tonight. Happy with his effort and looked good, hopefully it keeps up.

dinodebino and HKbleu like this.
  8. Habssince89

Habssince89 Registered User

A game like this is what the doctor ordered for Drouin, who has clearly been overcomplicating things to start the season. He could be (and should be) a bigger part of the powerplay before weber gets back. This is a time for him to take the reigns and be the star scoring forward.

Domi is a great partner for him as a centre. Due to Domi's high IQ and playmaking ability, he often has the puck. Normally Drouin would be the de facto puck carrier on other lines, and I think it helps him to simplify by simply taking the puck out of Drouin's hands, and giving him a linemate that can provide some clean looks and high percentage plays for him to try and score.

9. Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain Formerly Captain Wolverine

He's certainly playing better, but it'd be nice if he actually scored a point at ES.

10. Deebs

Deebs Best Dog Ever

For sure and I think it will come given how many chances that line is creating.

11. DramaticGloveSave

I agree that having Domi be the primary puck carrier has really allowed Drouin to simplify his game. Really like how these guys complement each other, and the speed they play at is next level. Both these dudes are FAST.

Habssince89 and Habs Icing like this.
  12. Belial

Belial Registered User

Domi is a pretty solid ES player if they keep that line together Drouin's points at ES will come.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias #MolsonPleaseQuit

Pressman
    Mikhail Sergachev, 2pts in 3 games, +2.

It's been 5 games to the season for Drouin, with 4 of those games against weak defenses, let's hold off popping the champagne.

14. Habs Icing

Habs Icing Formerly Onice

Filmmaker
    Let's not go all gaga. He was good (not great) against the Pens and great against the Wings. He has decided to play with his line mates instead of ignoring them.

Also, Domi has speed.

15. habsfan909

habsfan909 Registered User

LOL Drouin has 1 good game in over a year and suddenly we won the trade again

MasterD, ottawa, dinodebino and 2 others like this.
  16. bobholly39

bobholly39 Registered User

I've always been very high on Drouin since his draft (as I was with Mack). In fact i always felt they shouldn't be that far apart offensively. Obviously Mack broke out big time last year with a monster season, finally.

If i'm right - it means Drouin still has a TON of untapped potential to go to. I really hope he finally breaks out this year. With his talent there's honestly no reason he shouldn't be capable of being a ppg winger in the league.

And this isn't even about me being biased as a Habs fan - i felt this way about him in Tampa too.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias #MolsonPleaseQuit

Pressman
    The pompom girls will keep cheering until the Brian Savage Cup is won and then let's see what happens.

habsfan909 likes this.
  18. Deebs

Deebs Best Dog Ever

He's always had all the physical tools and skills to be a star, it's between the ears that has been holding him back. Hoping that playing with a guy like Domi and our new offensive system kicks him into gear.

19. Hot Dog Water Shaw

Hot Dog Water Shaw Registered User

In my opinion Drouin's struggles in the first few games weren't because of a lack of effort, it was more simply trying to do too much. Drouin has looked much better playing with more skilled guys, he has a passer now and a guy in Lehkonen who he can feed for scoring chances. It has only been two games, but his effort level this year has been a huge upgrade compared to last year and he's been skating way harder - if he keeps playing like this the points will come more often.

dackelljuneaubulis02 likes this.
  20. DramaticGloveSave

I think he's still figuring out how he needs to play in the NHL in order to be succesful. I think being on the wing playing with Domi is the best situation he's had so far.

Deebs likes this.
  21. Tank Toad

Tank Toad my post to likes ratio is Lit!

Duh.... thats how it works. Bergie had one OK offseason and hes the best GM ever again! Give him another 7 years.... no telling how good it could get here....

Anyways... I'm happy he is producing but until game 15 of play similar to this.. I won't start building my shrine to JD and finally burn my effigy of DD... :naughty:

22. waffledave

waffledave waffledave, from hf

Software Developer
    Very impressed with him this season. He looks like a different player at wing.

23. dackelljuneaubulis02

dackelljuneaubulis02 Registered User

Agreed. I thought that he looked better and better with each game. The first game was really just him trying to deke out the whole team. I was worried he was going to turn into Gomez. Even in those early games you could see the effort and skating was there more than it was last year.

Let's hope he can just keep getting better and better as well as putting those 'Galchenyuk is more skilled' comments to bed too. Galch's skating will always hold him back. Though I think he can still do better with AZ than he did here, Drouin clearly has the higher upside imo.

24. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

I would like a big RW who can score goals with Drouin and Domi ! Nothing against Lehkonen but I think it miss a better goaler scorer then Lehkonen in this line !

25. Drouin92

Drouin92 Registered User

He's been playing like the player we traded for the past couple games. If he can continue that play then the trade won't look that bad for us. He's playing like an elite winger right now. Fans will quickly forget about Sergachev if this is the Drouin we see on a nightly basis. Let's wait a little bit to see if he can keep it going because consistency has been issue throughout his career.