Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The last pairing d almost outscored the top 6 forward last year. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Sergachev is also 20 year old and he would be light years ahead of any current LHD. I don't agree that we should be treating Drouin and Sergachev the same. Drouin is now 23 and is playing wing. Sergachev is 20 and is playing defense. 2 very different cases imo.

I'd say considerable edge to Sergachev. Sergachev had a historic U20 performance.

I don't think it would be edge to Drouin. A 17 game sample shouldn't set how his season went. You do know that he also had a 17 game sample where he had 13 points in the AHL right? You can't use one and ignore the other.

And why is that? One plays wing and the other plays defense. If Sergachev greatly improves his defensive game and scores 35 points, I'd give him the edge.

We can say the same thing about Drouin. People today are still saying how Drouin can break out at 23 playing the far easier position.

It definitely still is too early to say who won and lost the trade, we will see what happens.

One way or another it's close. Sergachev did have a good year at age 19 which bolted him above. Should be interesting to see how both of them do in future years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So serg has to get 40 points as a dman at 21 years old to match Drouin’s 53 points in 73 games at 21 years old lol makes sense

Do you have a equitation calculator that determines what 53 pts from a forward is worth on Defense? Cherry picking one line with no substance in your reply lol makes sense for HF standards.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
It definitely still is too early to say who won and lost the trade, we will see what happens.

The who won and lost of it doesn't really matter to me since so much of it is circumstantial. With the info we had at the time of the trade, it felt like a reasonable gamble to try and acquire a potential high end, offensive forward which has been missing here for a while. Obviously it trended in a poor direction last year and I don't hold out a lot of hope for a player "breaking out" as he gets near his mid-20s but in Drouin's case, I do have some optimism that this year could be better given that he's not being forced to play C on a zombie team but I think we can all reasonably say the idea of him becoming a star is gone. He's a good player, he's good with the puck and he's producing right now. I think/hope the regression coming from his line is offset by the PP getting better, could picture him feeding Weber quite nicely.

If I could undo the trade now, given our needs and acquisitions since the time of the trade I think most people here would happily undo it. Even if they end up being neutral assets, Sergachev is probably a smoother fit on this core but whatever. It's no guarantee Sergachev develops into the 5 on 5 stud he could, it's also no guarantee he'd have developed his game as easily in Montreal given the organization's spotty history. I guess I just don't really feel like it was an obvious blunder, the logic at the time was reasonable, regardless of how it turns out.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I’m not sure what we are trying to compare here - if it is impact or value to the team, Drouin has been a major piece for the Habs this year and last, Sergachev has been much smaller part of the TB puzzle. Yes, Sergachev jumped out of the gates last year with 17 points in his first 25 games, but has dropped off dramatically in the scoring department...he only played about 15 minutes a game last year, he is playing a lot more this year, up to over 17 minutes a game, but that is borderline 3 paring minutes even with the injuries on their D. That being said, his D play is much better this year, his hits and blocks are way up. The Habs traded a third pairing D man for a first line forward... it’s probably going to stay that way for at least the next year... now we can argue about talent and eventual value all we want, but right now the Habs are getting much more out of Drouin than TB is out of Sergachev... come back to this in a year or two it might be a different story.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What would be more often to you, i mean the guy is playing very well this year, brings alot more good than bad, high risk high reward player very exciting, is it not what people where asking for the last 6 years on this board, dont get the scrutiny Drouin get around here
More spectacular dekes.
You don't get the scrutiny?? Look at his terrible backchecks like tonight when on the PP that forced Petry into a bad spot and had to take a penalty.
Look at his dumb penalty at the end.

The scrutiny he gets is totally warranted. Yes, he has talent. We all know that. Exciting? Meh.
Subban was exciting, Kovalev was exciting. I don't put Drouin in that category, yet. Maybe one day, but not now.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
More spectacular dekes.
You don't get the scrutiny?? Look at his terrible backchecks like tonight when on the PP that forced Petry into a bad spot and had to take a penalty.
Look at his dumb penalty at the end.

The scrutiny he gets is totally warranted. Yes, he has talent. We all know that. Exciting? Meh.
Subban was exciting, Kovalev was exciting. I don't put Drouin in that category, yet. Maybe one day, but not now.

Nope, i really dont get it, terrible backcheck-bad penalty......you see that from every players in the league, dont know about you but i'm watching close to 200 games per years and i saw plenty of that from stars in this league from time to time, but whenever JD make a bad play (sometimes even if it's not a bad play but the result is not good) peoples on this board come craping on him, we got a guy here who is close to PPG very exciting to watch and all we do is wait for his next mistake to post ''you see i told you so''.....pretty sad

Have to say tho have not see you crapping on JD too often , so maybe i should have choose another post to reply to

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That was definitely the best then worst of Drouin. But I really didn’t think his stick was that vicious, looked like he just put it up to protect himself and Backes hit it coming at him.

I agree. If we see the Drouin we saw in the 3rd period every night he'll be a star. Played like he cared, like he wanted to get a win, a result, instead of dance around, and wasn't going to be intimidated by Backes. He just made a mistake.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Do you have a equitation calculator that determines what 53 pts from a forward is worth on Defense? Cherry picking one line with no substance in your reply lol makes sense for HF standards.
40 points by a dman is obviously more valuable than 53 points by a forward. You don't need a calculator for that, just simple sense.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I agree. If we see the Drouin we saw in the 3rd period every night he'll be a star. Played like he cared, like he wanted to get a win, a result, instead of dance around, and wasn't going to be intimidated by Backes. He just made a mistake.
He also threw a couple of nice hits including drilling Marchand.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nope, i really dont get it, terrible backcheck-bad penalty......you see that from every players in the league, dont know about you but i'm watching close to 200 games per years and i saw plenty of that from stars in this league from time to time, but whenever JD make a bad play (sometimes even if it's not a bad play but the result is not good) peoples on this board come craping on him, we got a guy here who is close to PPG very exciting to watch and all we do is wait for his next mistake to post ''you see i told you so''.....pretty sad

Have to say tho have not see you crapping on JD too often , so maybe i should have choose another post to reply to
Meh, I don't find him particularly exciting, hence me saying I want to see more rushes like the one he did tonight.

As for people dumping on him, dude, this is Mtl, most players get dumped on. Price, Subban, Max, Galch, Eller, DD, Alzner, Shaw, Schlemko, heck some guys even crapped on Markov.
Drouin is inconsistent, so he's gonna get his lick. Par for the course.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Drouin is not the star that MB tried to sell to us. The Habs are stuck with another enigmatic player. He seems to have gotten his scoring touch with Domi back again but the Habs let go yet another D prospect that the team could really use.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Meh, I don't find him particularly exciting, hence me saying I want to see more rushes like the one he did tonight.

Fair enough, like i said before, i think he's playing very well so far, we all want to see more he is still pretty young it may be his breaking season and we may see more in the future

As for people dumping on him, dude, this is Mtl, most players get dumped on. Price, Subban, Max, Galch, Eller, DD, Alzner, Shaw, Schlemko, heck some guys even crapped on Markov

Still pretty sad, i always had no problem with criticizim, it's the bashing i dont like

Drouin is inconsistent

Not so much this year in my opinion

so he's gonna get his lick. Par for the course.

I guess so

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

As for people dumping on him, dude, this is Mtl, most players get dumped on. Price, Subban, Max, Galch, Eller, DD, Alzner, Shaw, Schlemko, heck some guys even crapped on Markov.
Drouin is inconsistent, so he's gonna get his lick. Par for the course.
Well, this is his second penalty-kills-the-Habs-against-Boston moment. He might be making a case that he's a less productive, LW version of Daniel Briere.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
It's so tough to be a Drouin fan. He's my favourite player because of the talent he has which he showed on his spectacular goal but when he makes stupid decisions like taking a double minor with five minutes left in a 2-2 game, it's really frustrating. We had just battled back from down 0-2 and then he kills the momentum. I was at the game and you could just feel some of the crowd's energy die down. For the most part, he's been far more productive and been a better player this year. He's still showing shades of himself from last year and one bonehead play from him is too many for me. On the other hand, if he didn't score his goal, we would never even have been in the game and this wouldn't have been a discussion. Hopefully, this was a one-off and he never takes a penalty like that again.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He looked Connor McDavid fast on that 1st goal
Yep. Drouin is one of the most spectacular player in the league.

Yes he is frustrating sometimes but like kovalev, p.k, richer.....I prefer someone like him than a boring player who does every little thing good.

We wanted a show...with Drouin we have one no matter what...

Btw yesterday his penalty was more an accident than anything else.

Reactions: Vachon23

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yep. Drouin is one of the most spectacular player in the league.

Yes he is frustrating sometimes but like kovalev, p.k, richer.....I prefer someone like him than a boring player who does every little thing good.

We wanted a show...with Drouin we have one no matter what...

Btw yesterday his penalty was more an accident than anything else.
no excuses.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Drouin is not the star that MB tried to sell to us. The Habs are stuck with another enigmatic player. He seems to have gotten his scoring touch with Domi back again but the Habs let go yet another D prospect that the team could really use.

He’s had a bad stretch to start the season but point wise, he’s been pretty consistent. The Habs have as much of a use for a talented forward than talented D.

Take out Drouin and our forward group is mediocre at best. He brings an element that no one else on the team can bring (yet).

The Drouin vs Sergachev was probably a trade that patched a hole to create another. So far, he’s on par for a ~70ish point season, which is better than Marner/Nylander’s production last year and on par with guys like Tarasenko etc... I’m not sure what else you guys would like to see from Drouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille