Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Blue White Red Dead Redemption Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This deal and the Weber/Subban deals were supposed to be the terrible deals (Domi/Galchenyuk too initially though Domi changed that narrative quick). But now Subban looks washed after being traded for the same return as we got for Andrew Shaw...

yeah I didn't mention the PK trade because I don't know how PK's doing. Weber's trending down but if PK is too then that trade might just be a wash. I'll wait and see on that one but yeah it's always framed as if MB's made this huge list of horrible trades and it's really not the case. Are people really gonna cling to that initial Shaw trade as great proof? Hell a lot of people were p@ssed when we trade him back lol. He even got a similar return too (yes yes Debrincat and Girard I know I know).

But there has to be a reappraisal at some point. I'd still wait but I'd at least simmer on the whole 'garbage move' narrative. His worst ones seem like washes or a slight loss.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I like how it’s all wait and see now, but a year ago it was the worst deal ever lol

Drouin was pretty bad a year ago. For most of us it was: it's not looking good, but hopefully Drouin finds a way to turn it around - and Sergachev hasn't exactly proven anything long-term yet either...

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This deal and the Weber/Subban deals were supposed to be the terrible deals (Domi/Galchenyuk too initially though Domi changed that narrative quick). But now Subban looks washed after being traded for the same return as we got for Andrew Shaw...

Weber's not exactly looking like a million dollars either...

The Domi deal is looking great...

The Shaw deal doesn't look good to me at all though. Two early 2nds for Shaw. And then we get back a 2nd and a 3rd like 7 years later... But it could be worse.

But those major deals are definitely looking better. I'm really hopeful Drouin has turned a corner. Getting Drouin and Domi is great because Galchenyuk is one-dimensional and even if Sergachev pans out, Timmins' specialty is Dmen. So getting those two top 6 forwards is important. Weber-Subban and the Shaw trade to us,then back to chicago, are basically both washes. Marc's got to step it up in the UFA market - or do another trade for a pending UFA and re-sign them.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
People wanted to "get rid" of him a month ago
To be fair, he looked legitimately unhappy and his play in the pre season reflected it. It was starting to look a lot like the Galchenyuk situation.

Pumped that he's on the right track now though. We only saw this version of Drouin a few time last year. Notably versus Florida and Winnipeg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A big change in Drouin, in addition to the effort level, is not dancing around with the puck aimlessly. He's completely cut the non-sense out.

When he gets the puck now, he's only looking to do something useful with it.

He's looking like the player everyone expected him to be. Looks confident and playing smarter overall with hustle and knows what to do more often than not.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
When can we start giving MB credit for this great trade???
When the 21 year old 6’2 220 pound extremely mobile defenseman we traded him for is not within 4 points of his production... with a +/- of 12. Not a slam on Drouin, but MB.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
When the 21 year old 6’2 220 pound extremely mobile defenseman we traded him for is not within 4 points of his production... with a +/- of 12. Not a slam on Drouin, but MB.
Especially when we look at the non-plan for the left side of our D, people still make excuses on a daily basis for Drouin and more often than not are quick to throw in a jab at Sergachev along the way, it makes me laugh.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The hate for Jonathan Drouin was completely deserved. I think we are all happy that he is performing well now and hope it lasts.
And I wouldn't use the hate word but to see a talented player throwing his potential career down the tubes is never what anyone wants to see, why wouldn't he want to be an 80 point guy? Hopefully, he is realizing it takes more than just talent. I hope that a guy like Gallagher is finally rubbing off on him. Baby steps.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And I wouldn't use the hate word but to see a talented player throwing his potential career down the tubes is never what anyone wants to see, why wouldn't he want to be an 80 point guy? Hopefully, he is realizing it takes more than just talent. I hope that a guy like Gallagher is finally rubbing off on him. Baby steps.
Hate is a strong word, you are right. But I still didnt like him. He put little to no effort defensively and would make the EXACT same mistakes over and over. Shows an unwillingness to learn imo.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hate is a strong word, you are right. But I still didnt like him. He put little to no effort defensively and would make the EXACT same mistakes over and over. Shows an unwillingness to learn imo.
I have been called out many times and have even been called a bigot for my assessments of Drouin, even openly in posts all because of basically what you said right there. I am not now or ever was expecting a mix of Gainey and Lafleur, I just wanted to see him be better and I dislike the dumb excuses made on his behalf, he just had to put the work in. I have seen many posts saying where are the haters now? The freakin so-called haters where the people that we're saying all along what Drouin needed to do in order to be successful and now he is actually doing it and the results are coming, shocker!

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
(yes yes Debrincat and Girard I know I know)

Meh...anyone using the end result of a draft pick to evaluate a trade isn't debating in good faith. A second round pick is a second round pick. Some hit big, some miss big, and the rest are average. The two picks above had just as good a chance at missing, statistically speaking.

Reactions: Vachon23 and MrGold

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I remember when I suggested that Drouin should take up figure skating instead of ice hockey.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Especially when we look at the non-plan for the left side of our D, people still make excuses on a daily basis for Drouin and more often than not are quick to throw in a jab at Sergachev along the way, it makes me laugh.
Non plan for the left side of our D? How about Timmins drafted 5 left D and MB trying to sign a left D?
We only need patience untill Romanov, Norlinder and others come here. Our D will be pretty good.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
wow, wow, wow. Let's wait and see what Sergachev and Drouin become long term, not after 13 games one season very, very early in both their careers.
I've heard that a good trade might be good for both teams. Each team get what he want and they will want to trade again together.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Non plan for the left side of our D? How about Timmins drafted 5 left D and MB trying to sign a left D?
We only need patience untill Romanov, Norlinder and others come here. Our D will be pretty good.
So are you saying that MB knew what he was doing with that move? Are you saying that he thought that the Drouin trade was a smart hockey trade? I am a bit foggy here, enlighten me.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
A big change in Drouin, in addition to the effort level, is not dancing around with the puck aimlessly. He's completely cut the non-sense out.

When he gets the puck now, he's only looking to do something useful with it.

I think his definition of ''useful'' changed for the better.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's looking like the player everyone expected him to be. Looks confident and playing smarter overall with hustle and knows what to do more often than not.

It will be great when Caufield, Poehling, and Suzuki are in the top 9. He'll be playing with great players and the other lines will have great pressure. Defenses will have their hands full all game.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So are you saying that MB knew what he was doing with that move? Are you saying that he thought that the Drouin trade was a smart hockey trade? I am a bit foggy here, enlighten me.
MB did a mistake back then overestimating Alzner and Schlemko. It took a complete year to solve partially that problem. It was all debated here for a long time. Mete took the place of Alzner, then MB got Kulak and Reilly. And Timmins drafted 5 left D. But that horrible year (2017) gave us KK and Romanov.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
MB did a mistake back then overestimating Alzner and Schlemko. It took a complete year to solve partially that problem. It was all debated here for a long time. Mete took the place of Alzner, then MB got Kulak and Reilly. And Timmins drafted 5 left D. But that horrible year (2017) gave us KK and Romanov.
MB has overestimated a lot of players over his time as GM but the real kicker is that in many cases he proclaimed that we were better after the moves he has made, he has actually believed it. You don't have a problem with that?

Reactions: Big Lurk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad