Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Blue White Red Dead Redemption Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah my mind on him won't change until the full season is over. He looked great until Jan-February last season.

Reactions: Et le But

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's been playing great so far but I need more games before I am convinced he's turned a page. We know he has talent but 5 games doesn't undo a concern about consistency.

Once again it's not like most fans don't want a consistently dangerous offensive forward but I would be very careful with expectations. Last year when he was producing we heard about how he's the next Lafleur and how we easily won the Sergachev trade with our PPG winger.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Very similar to how some said we lost it when the trade took place.

Totally different context. People were using other variables on that. Example: Habs need at LD, Sergachev 3 years younger, plus gave up conditional 2nd, Sergachev needed no protection for expansion draft but Drouin did, etc.

Compared to that, extrapolating from 5 games is quite the leap.

JerryBettman

Aug 7, 2019
Totally different context. People were using other variables on that. Example: Habs need at LD, Sergachev 3 years younger, plus gave up conditional 2nd, Sergachev needed no protection for expansion draft but Drouin did, etc.

You forgot that Drouin is from Quebec that adds a point in his favour so we win the trade by default no matter how you look at it Russia bad French good

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You forgot that Drouin is from Quebec that adds a point in his favour so we win the trade Russia bad French good

It only adds a point if the trade makes sense first and foremost. I don’t think the Habs had disposable quality depth at LD to make that deal.

I wasn’t trying to revisit the trade, we’ve done it many times already. The issue was about the significance of 5 good games.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Don't forget we needed offensive skill as well which Drouin would create. It's the same garbage both ways.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't forget we needed offensive skill as well which Drouin would create. It's the same garbage both ways.

We had Radulov, we needed centres at the time not another winger. Markov wasn’t signed and we had no one to groom to take over his spot as even if we were to sign Markov, he was on his last legs. We could not afford to trade Sergachev. Case in point, the GM ended up signing Alzner and Streit out of desperation.

Bottom line is that there were a lot of known considerations and moving parts in the Sergachev deal which is not comparable to extrapolating from 5 good games relative to a player with a record of 5 NHL seasons of inconsistency.

Reactions: OldCraig71

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Winning or losing the trade it doesn't bother me. Not even a bit. I finished about questioning myself quite a while ago. I turned the page. I put it this behind me. Due to the fact, I've to accept this reality. Destiny. Instead I got to support Drouin in my own point of view. On his good and bad times. Like until he'll not be a Hab anymore.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

To be fair the conditional 2nd is moot. It was only if Sergachev didn't end up playing. If he hadn't begun to play in the NHL he'd even be further back in his development so whatever.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
People talk about we need to see how Drou-Drou rebound after a dry spell but what was the end of last season? What was this pre-season? I think he’s replying pretty well...for now.

Everybody wanted him out including me but here he is facing adversity and playing well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To be fair the conditional 2nd is moot. It was only if Sergachev didn't end up playing. If he hadn't begun to play in the NHL he'd even be further back in his development so whatever.

Yeah but that’s not at all the context of the discussion. I am all too aware but the point being made was not about the context after the fact, so it’s not moot relative to the variables being discussed at the time the deal was consumed as no one knew at that time what the outcome would be.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

I agree with you when you look at needs, but let's be fair : a bad trade doesnt imply we ended with a bad player. But in a vaccum, we lost in terms of value, I support that opinion.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree with you when you look at needs, but let's be fair : a bad trade doesnt imply we ended with a bad player. But in a vaccum, we lost in terms of value, I support that opinion.

Again, not the discussion we were having but appreciate your input.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Werent you talking about the trade? Sorry if I got lost.

The argument was about how little one can extrapolate based on a player's performance over 5 games and another poster tried to make an equivalency between that and extrapolating from the Sergachev/ Drouin deal at the time it was made.

The initial point was about how Drouin's first 5 games are not necessarily indicative of the rest of his season. We all hope they augur a better season for him but as we all know, he needs to be more consistent and we can't know if he's really crossed that hump without a significant number of games where he'd be playing as he is now.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
So now we're discussing whether Drouin is really as good as he's looked. May we have many more of these debates.

The real test comes when he hits an inevitable dry spell. Does he push through to the other side, or does he cave?
To early to tell. I'm not a fan of the player but I don't have an axe to grind either. I need to see him perform through the inevitable fluctuations of the whole season. What surprised me thus far is that he seems to be able to function within a context of a line. It gave me headaches trying to picture the line compositions where he's not paired with Domi and that created problems defensively. Right now he's very good at picking his spots. He lets Kotkaniemi and Armia do their things and doesn't try to be a play driver at all costs, and when he does, it's usually effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad