Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Forsberg for Erat, franchise changing trade...... I’m just as excited about this guy as I am anybody else we have but aren’t we exaggerating a little bit?

Are my expectations lower than most? If this guy is Naslund or F. Forsberg I’ll gladly eat crow

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Forsberg for Erat, franchise changing trade...... I’m just as excited about this guy as I am anybody else we have but aren’t we exaggerating a little bit?

Are my expectations lower than most? If this guy is Naslund or F. Forsberg I’ll gladly eat crow

We always exaggerate. It’s our favourite way to get attention.

Reactions: brokenhole

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets broadcaster Andy Zilch commenting that Dahlen has 'blazing speed"....thought that skating was supposed to a weakness to be worked on....didn't catch the AHL steam of the last game, but is 'blazing speed' a bit of stretch?

He is comparing him to the Comets he's watched all season. One of Utica's major deficits coming out of the gate was a lack of speed. Thus, Jasek, MacMaster, and now Dahlen look to have great speed because they are faster than everything else in town.

Don't leave it to Zilch to fill in the facts you don't have. He speaks in superlatives about Comets who are barely worth okays.

He still doesn't identify the Comets lines on the ice, line change after line change. "Both teams change 'em up." He then let's you try to figure out who is out there if he mentions 2 of the five guys while the play on the ice moves along before they change again.

He often refers to plays being made as by the Comets in general. It's not Carcone or Molino or Wiercioch or Chatfield who can't get it out , its "The puck comes loose and they still can't get it out." You know it's one guy who whiffed or passed the puck to an opponent or got stripped, but he doesn't tell you who. I often think he still needs to see numbers in order to identify who is out there.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
For me the most important measuring stick for Dahlen on his progression this year is that he scored the same amount of points without Pettersson than he did with Pettersson . That is a HUGE accomplishment and shows me that his point production does not rely on being on a line with Pettersson. Very exciting stuff.
That... and also by how much he carried his team's scoring:

1. Dahlen 44 gms, 44 pts
2. Karlsson 52gms, 28 pts
3. Johnsson 51 gms, 25 pts

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Canucks fans either optimistically prop up their prospects alongside the NHL's elite ("He's the next Crosby!") or they attempt to further their personal agenda (ie vendetta) by spewing unwarranted vitriol at a player ("He's a bust, unfit for the ECHL! Benning is an idiot!").

Generally, it's somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slads and Numba9

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nobody said that fleecing Ottawa for Dahlen was 'easy'. But teams trade veterans for futures at the deadline every year, so they're just glad Benning finally started doing it because it makes sense. The fact that the Dahlen trade seems to be working out so far is just gravy and has nothing to do with anything being 'easy', but you put yourself in a position to get prospects like these by, you know... actually trading for picks/prospects. Which people have called for all along. :speechles

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 29m29 minutes ago
Just talked with Jonathan Dahlen about his 1st 2 games with the Utica Comets, his big summer coming up and cracking the #Canucks roster.

Dahlen on his 1st 2 AHL games, "It was fun, took time getting used to the smaller ice surface. It was fast and less time and space but I drove hard for the net, it was fast hard hockey."

Dahlen knows he has a very important summer ahead, "I will train hard to get stronger and faster. I feel I am much better than last year but still hard lots of work ahead."

Dahlen on people who have him on the #Canucks roster next season, "I have to show management that I can earn it, work hard. I am glad people have confidence in me but it starts with a great training camp."

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
He reminds me a bit of his dad. He is solid on his skates and not afraid to take a hit going to the net. I am so far pleasantly surprised.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Considering how Hansen has completely gone in the toilet, the return of Goldobin and a 4th is fine

Yeah. 2 trades Jim made that are pretty under rated. Must have been hard for fans to see 2 well liked long term players go , but he had no emotional attachment to them. He realized their careers were over and got good returns. Wish he kept that up tho this year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Considering how Hansen has completely gone in the toilet, the return of Goldobin and a 4th is fine

This is incorrect.

The easiest way to tell is to put it too the extreme and see if it still holds up.

Say we trade Horvat for that exact package instead of Hansen. Horvat is then injured and his career ends. Is that a good trade for us? God no, Horvat should have been worth much more.

Same applies here.

Reactions: timw33

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
This is incorrect.

The easiest way to tell is to put it too the extreme and see if it still holds up.

Say we trade Horvat for that exact package instead of Hansen. Horvat is then injured and his career ends. Is that a good trade for us? God no, Horvat should have been worth much more.

Same applies here.
Horvat is 23 and still improving. Hansen is 32 and looks done. I’ll take Goldobin and a 4th all day. Imagine if they waited till this last deadline to deal Hansen. Playing as poorly as he has Elmer wouldn’t have gotten anything close to that.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Horvat is 23 and still improving. Hansen is 32 and looks done. I’ll take Goldobin and a 4th all day. Imagine if they waited till this last deadline to deal Hansen. Playing as poorly as he has Elmer wouldn’t have gotten anything close to that.

Or you could look at it and go we could have gotten more... as comparable got more...

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
Or you could look at it and go we could have gotten more... as comparable got more...
Maybe ... who was a comparable player to Hansen who had a NTC that got dealt last year. For all of Bennings blunders this seems like one of his better moves

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is incorrect.

Same applies here.

your analogy does not hold.

hindsight and unexpected hindsight are not the same thing. horvat suffering a career ending injury is highly unlikely and no different from the risk any other nhl player faces, so it is not relevant to a trade. otoh, the fact a 30+ year old player known for stone hands most of his career might taper off quickly is not that unpredictable. it is a major reason players like that get traded, typically to teams in win now mode.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maybe ... who was a comparable player to Hansen who had a NTC that got dealt last year. For all of Bennings blunders this seems like one of his better moves

Hanzel was comparable, probably Hanzel was worth more, but comparable, also Hansen didn't have a NTC.

your analogy does not hold.

hindsight and unexpected hindsight are not the same thing. horvat suffering a career ending injury is highly unlikely and no different from the risk any other nhl player faces, so it is not relevant to a trade. otoh, the fact a 30+ year old player known for stone hands most of his career might taper off quickly is not that unpredictable. it is a major reason players like that get traded, typically to teams in win now mode.

sigh.

Fine, how about if we traded Tanev for that package.

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
I was pretty sure Jannik Hansen had a limited NTC. Oh well. Hanzal had more value at the time imho. There again is another guy whose game has fallen off a cliff. Hansen has played so lousy this year he won’t get more than a one year deal July 1st.

Back to Dahlen.... kid looks good so far. Asinine move by Trent Cull sitting him for game 1

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I was pretty sure Jannik Hansen had a limited NTC. Oh well. Hanzal had more value at the time imho. There again is another guy whose game has fallen off a cliff. Hansen has played so lousy this year he won’t get more than a one year deal July 1st.

It was limited, but not very.

His value should have been near a late first, or 2 seconds. we got basically Shinkurak and a 4th.

if you are asking if tanev's market value builds in his injury frailty, i'd say yes you'd value him as a 70ish game guy.

If you look up you will see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad