Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thing is, management sees guys in practice etc. If a guy can't get the job done in practice why would he magically get the job done in a game?

I do share your concern regarding defensemen though. Drafting hasn't been too bad, UDFA we've done fine with. But proscouting has left something to be desired.

Dahlen and Goldoblin, even if neither makes it are acquisitions I can support. Need our next blueline acquisitions via trade or UFA to be solid hits though to get this turnaround thing turned around.

While that could be true you also have to consider that Shinkaruk went from a 0.87 PPG player for us in Utica to finishing as a 0.48 ppg player for Calgary's farm team. And it's not like he just had a good situation in Utica, our other top two forwards were Gaunce and Grenier. You could say they didn't see him translating to the NHL but with such a significant drop in AHL production there's something else there going on.

And it's not like this management has done a great job identifying who is and isn't an NHL player to be some sort of authority here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Skating apparently an issue in his draft year, which caused him to slide into the middle of the second-round, but seemingly no problems now.....kid has looked fast in his first few AHL games.....definitely has the quick acceleration to play the NA pro game....a kid to watch closely in training camp.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know what you guys were arguing.. but this gave me a chuckle.

Hitting 30pts 3 times in 8 yrs here does not make him a consistent 30 pt player.
Referring to him as a "20 plus goal scoring.." player is also silliness.
Like I said, don't know what you guys could be arguing about in this thread, but it can't be going well if you are reaching for hyperbole like this :laugh:

Back to Dahlen!

It was tongue and cheek if you read what he wrote.

Yes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
While that could be true you also have to consider that Shinkaruk went from a 0.87 PPG player for us in Utica to finishing as a 0.48 ppg player for Calgary's farm team. And it's not like he just had a good situation in Utica, our other top two forwards were Gaunce and Grenier. You could say they didn't see him translating to the NHL but with such a significant drop in AHL production there's something else there going on.

And it's not like this management has done a great job identifying who is and isn't an NHL player to be some sort of authority here.

They didn't like Shinkaruk from the beginning. And Shinkaruk didn't miss a beat joining Calgary afterwards. If it's about having one good season, Jensen morphed into an AHL star level player after leaving us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Skating apparently an issue in his draft year, which caused him to slide into the middle of the second-round, but seemingly no problems now.....kid has looked fast in his first few AHL games.....definitely has the quick acceleration to play the NA pro game....a kid to watch closely in training camp.

From I’ve seen posted, his skating in small spaces / around the net is very good. Very agile with quick changes of pace and direction. He may not be a burner in open ice a la Grabner but I think his skating is very well suited to a possession style cycle game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You'd have to say that Pettersson and Dahlen will get a long look on the same line at training camp, to see if they can replicate their magic with Timra a season ago. I know a lot of Canuck posters are down on the idea of putting Pettersson in the middle next season, yet unless they're active on the UFA market in the off-season they may have no choice.

But what's the opinion of other posters? Can Dahlen make the Canucks next year?..They're extremely thin on left wing....or is it back to Utica for another season?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You'd have to say that Pettersson and Dahlen will get a long look on the same line at training camp, to see if they can replicate their magic with Timra a season ago. I know a lot of Canuck posters are down on the idea of putting Pettersson in the middle next season, yet unless they're active on the UFA market in the off-season they may have no choice.

But what's the opinion of other posters? Can Dahlen make the Canucks next year?..They're extremely thin on left wing....or is it back to Utica for another season?

Personally I am completely fine with sticking Pettersson in the middle, I think given time he'd adjust but there'd be a lot of growing pains which is okay for a team in our position.

Its' the Gradin who disagrees, hopefully the team disagrees with him.

He references Daniel so maybe they want to convert him to LW and load up 1 line with him and Boeser?

Or have a Dahlen/Pettersson wing combo and try to find them a C.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Trent Cull just completed an interview on 1040. He was effusive in his praise of Dahlen, including his development over the course of the season in Sweden. It certainly didn't sound like there was any grudge about the way Dahlen left the team at the beginning of the year. If the rest of the organization sees what Cull sees, I'd have to predict that Dahlen will start next year with the big club.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Trent Cull was on 1040 today:

TSN Radio Vancouver‏Verified account @TSN1040 9m9 minutes ago
Cull on Dahlen:
"I like his hockey sense. He's got a plan with the puck, before he's got the puck. And to think ahead like that, it's fantastic. He's a guy offensively, he moves and gets into the holes quick. And he's a good forechecker, there's no fear in his game."

"I've really liked his development over the year. Where he was at the start of the year, playing some exhibition games with us, and coming back to us...it's been a great year for him. He's really added to our team."

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

I would leave Dahlen down in Utica to start the season. We need to see exactly what we have with Baertschi, Goldobin and Leipsic. Don't need to rush Dahlen. Let's see him perform well over a longer stretch of games in Utica first.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I would leave Dahlen down in Utica to start the season. We need to see exactly what we have with Baertschi, Goldobin and Leipsic. Don't need to rush Dahlen. Let's see him perform well over a longer stretch of games in Utica first.

Many "Blue Chip" NHL prospects spend a portion of their initial pro season in the AHL, put up big number, and force their way onto the the NHL roster. It's a way to prove they belong there. Wouldn't hurt either of Dahlen or Gaudette.

Gives Leipsic, Goldobin, and Baertschi time to prove their worth or lack thereof. You don't want any of the prospective high level Canucks (Dahlen, Jasek, Gaudette) getting short minutes in lesser roles when they can be getting top minutes in all situations while they wait. Waiving and risking losing someone before you finally decide on their value under fire isn't the best approach. If they prove still not to be up to what you need then waive them if need be (Baertschi, Leipsic, Gaunce, Goldy etc.) and send them to Utica for the time being if they clear and bring up the on fire kid. Injuries will still create a need for them. Certainly don't want to see any of them as the extras watching from the press box.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanuck87 and Index

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
No we don't. If Dahlen can out perform those guys in training camp then Dahlen should be with the team and not Utica.

Reactions: MS

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No we don't. If Dahlen can out perform those guys in training camp then Dahlen should be with the team and not Utica.

Dahlen will be there soon enough and in the 2018-19 season. You are putting the cart before the horse. Even if he is better, those other guys need to sort themselves out because the team needs more than one player, ie Dahlen. The team isn't going anywhere soon anyways. It won't hurt for a short span to let those guys mentioned play, make the team, or play themselves off of it. Meanwhile Dahlen won't stunt his growth acclimating to NA with a a couple dozen or more games in the AHL in a top role.

As a simple example Jonathen's fellow countryman William Nylander spent a half season there the year he went full term NHL. Yes, William was 19 that season and had also played there art 18, but Dahlen will still be 20 until December and has spent zero time in NA. Bring him up around his birthday if he is killing it in the AHL, which he should be if he ends up being all that so many of you think he already is. By that time Goldy or Beaertschi or Leipsic or Gaunce will have shown whether or not they belong. You are going to need some of these guys for depth. Just shipping them out or losing them on waivers won't help the cause. Lack of depth has been a major problem since Benning got there and it's just starting to form a very short pile. Help it grow. Don't shovel it up.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Dahlen will be there soon enough and in the 2018-19 season. You are putting the cart before the horse. Even if he is better, those other guys need to sort themselves out because the team needs more than one player, ie Dahlen. The team isn't going anywhere soon anyways. It won't hurt for a short span to let those guys mentioned play, make the team, or play themselves off of it. Meanwhile Dahlen won't stunt his growth acclimating to NA with a a couple dozen or more games in the AHL in a top role.

As a simple example Jonathen's fellow countryman William Nylander spent a half season there the year he went full term NHL. Yes, William was 19 that season and had also played there art 18, but Dahlen will still be 20 until December and has spent zero time in NA. Bring him up around his birthday if he is killing it in the AHL, which he should be if he ends up being all that so many of you think he already is. By that time Goldy or Beaertschi or Leipsic or Gaunce will have shown whether or not they belong. You are going to need some of these guys for depth. Just shipping them out or losing them on waivers won't help the cause. Lack of depth has been a major problem since Benning got there and it's just starting to form a very short pile. Help it grow. Don't shovel it up.

Yes it would be one thing if we had a hole for him to fill, but for all the players we're going to have in camp you probably have to be Elias Pettersson good to skip the Comets and Jump right to the Canucks. While you have hope for Dahlen because at 20 he has room to grow right now he's probably not good enough to separate himself from the pack of our 20-24 players and force his way onto the team.

So no harm starting him in Utica with the injury callup option if he stands out.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I also think Dahlen should start in Utica barring some incredible pre-season/camp.
Trouble is the Canucks are paper-thin at left wing....so unless they go out and sign somebody, Dahlen has as much of a shot as anyone....and if he could ever replicate that chemistry he had with Pettersson in Timra, then the Canucks might actually have two-thirds of another scoring line. These Calder Cup playoffs will be crucial in helping Dahlen prepare for the grind of the NHL.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
After watching Dahlen in the playoffs I would say that he is no where near ready for the NHL. Needs to add some strength or he will get bounced around pretty good. Saw some signs of offence but he needs better linemates than what he had and needs to be on a top 2 line.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
After watching Dahlen in the playoffs I would say that he is no where near ready for the NHL. Needs to add some strength or he will get bounced around pretty good. Saw some signs of offence but he needs better linemates than what he had and needs to be on a top 2 line.
Thats too bad but kinda expected. 2019-20 it is

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not surprising really. First real exposure to NA pro hockey, and the playoff intensity even in the AHL gets ramped up. And it's been a long season for him already. The reality is though that things which worked for him on the larger European ice, won't be open to him on the smaller rink. But even these few AHL games should do wonders for him in preparing for training camp next season.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I would like to see a Dahlen-Gaudette-Jasek line start in Utica next fall. All 3 could be nice top 9 pieces in a couple of years, be great if they developed some two-way chemistry.

Plus it's hard to work too many rookies into the lineup at once. For all the clamouring for a youth movement, it just doesn't work to have too much youth. I expect EP + OJ to be pretty much locks...maybe you can work in one more rookie forward but no harm starting in Utica.

Of course there's a level of performance for every prospect that throws this out the window and gets them a place on the big club. But letting a few guys ripen not only benefits their development, it allows Goldoblin, Lepsic, Virtanen, Gaunce, Granlund etc one last chance to show where/if they belong on the roster before being dumped.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I would like to see a Dahlen-Gaudette-Jasek line start in Utica next fall. All 3 could be nice top 9 pieces in a couple of years, be great if they developed some two-way chemistry.

Plus it's hard to work too many rookies into the lineup at once. For all the clamouring for a youth movement, it just doesn't work to have too much youth. I expect EP + OJ to be pretty much locks...maybe you can work in one more rookie forward but no harm starting in Utica.

Of course there's a level of performance for every prospect that throws this out the window and gets them a place on the big club. But letting a few guys ripen not only benefits their development, it allows Goldoblin, Lepsic, Virtanen, Gaunce, Granlund etc one last chance to show where/if they belong on the roster before being dumped.

I know he's still a long shot to make the NHL, but Lockwood would be another good option for that line.

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->