Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
It's amusing you guys are talking about Shinkaruk, whose footwork was once compared to that of... Ulf Dahlen

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
LOL I totally forgot that comparison was made on that goal, but the move is the same as what Jonathan does on the regular, only better in Jonathan's case.

Still choked we never gave Shinkaruk a real shot offensively when he had all the confidence and swagger running

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
LOL I totally forgot that comparison was made on that goal, but the move is the same as what Jonathan does on the regular, only better in Jonathan's case.

Still choked we never gave Shinkaruk a real shot offensively when he had all the confidence and swagger running

Agree that we should've given him a real look before actually dropping him, but it seems like management saw something that was (or wasn't in this case) there and dropped him while he had some value.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Comets broadcaster Andy Zilch commenting that Dahlen has 'blazing speed"....thought that skating was supposed to a weakness to be worked on....didn't catch the AHL steam of the last game, but is 'blazing speed' a bit of stretch?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Comets broadcaster Andy Zilch commenting that Dahlen has 'blazing speed"....thought that skating was supposed to a weakness to be worked on....didn't catch the AHL steam of the last game, but is 'blazing speed' a bit of stretch?

I think the book wasn't that he was slow, but it was just an awkward stride. But his dad made a career with the exact same stride, it's not something I've been worried about. Just check that Allsvenskan highlight reel and see how many breakaway goals he gets.

WestCoastExpress94

Mar 17, 2018
Dahlén for Burrows will only look worse for Ottawa as the years go on
Forsberg for Erat 2.0

Forsberg and Dahlen have had similar statistical progression to date aside from Forsberg being in the AHL in the same season Dahlen stayed in the Swedish league

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I had Fillip Forsberg going 2nd in the 2012 draft, Dahlen has been incredible so far but please temper your expectations please.
When he was still on the board at 10 I was begging the Canucks to pull out all the stops to move up and get him. I remember when his trade deal had the whole deadline on hold for like hours after the fact, everyone was trying to figure out what the last minute deal was. Was absolutely stunned when it was him for Erat, was an absolutely horrid deal the moment it happened and has only gotten worse and worse

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Also suspect this guy is a lot closer than most think. Two years of progress in a man's league, backed by good playoff showings, now entering his draft +3, and an NHLer for a father adds up to a lot of experience to draw on. Goldie's job is in jeopardy and Bae may need to watch his back too.

Always figured that Patterson is a sure thing and that between Dahlen, Gaudette and Lind we'll get another "real good" player. This one might be the first to make his mark.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I made a H9rvat - Ryan Johnansen comparison 2 years ago and that looks very realistic right now. I'm going to go ahead and compare Dahlen to Filip Forsberg, Forsberg was more of a scorer at the same age but they have a lot of similarities. Dahlen really should've been playing in the AHL this year and ultimately it might hurt his development a bit

Think his desision to stay only boosted him. It can never hurt his development leading his team to SHL. These transisions from Sweden to AHL depends most on the players style of playing the game.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Don't understand the argument that Sweden was not beneficial for him this year. I think it was a great decision. Not only was he one of the top scorer, but he led his team to promotion and scored many points in the playoffs. Now he gets a chance to come to Utica for the playoffs.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Watching Dahlen today, he does give off a Shinkaruk vibe. Does that little forward to sideways back to forward move that Shinkaruk used a lot. A difference, at least off what I saw, is that there more quickness with Dalhen. One thing you have to hope is that there is a little more going on between the ears with Dahlen than there was with Shinkaruk.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Watching Dahlen today, he does give off a Shinkaruk vibe. Does that little forward to sideways back to forward move that Shinkaruk used a lot. A difference, at least off what I saw, is that there more quickness with Dalhen. One thing you have to hope is that there is a little more going on between the ears with Dahlen than there was with Shinkaruk.

It's about finding space, driving to the net, and playing a 200 foot game. Shinkaruk couldn't do that at the NHL level. Hopefully Dahlen can.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
For me the most important measuring stick for Dahlen on his progression this year is that he scored the same amount of points without Pettersson than he did with Pettersson . That is a HUGE accomplishment and shows me that his point production does not rely on being on a line with Pettersson. Very exciting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad