petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
31671457_10156273728092145_9007699485286989824_o.jpg

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Great article by Botch. Really goes to show how development isn't linear, and players develop in more ways than just on the ice.

Then there was the shock that [Dahlen] experienced in Utica, N.Y., where the Canucks had planned for him to play the season.

“He came to Utica and played a couple of exhibition games and got completely humbled to the point where it was a hard conversation for me and him to have,” said Ryan Johnson, the Canucks’ director of player development. “He said, ‘Im not ready for this.’ So, we set up a plan. I said, ‘Jonathan, you’re a great player. This is a setback. We’ll work through this.’ ”

Dahlen would go back to Sweden to play for Timra in the country’s second-division pro league and from October to January he worked to build himself up physically.

“Technically, it did take that amount of time for him to really get his feet underneath him again, and his strength and his endurance back,” Johnson said. “But to me, his biggest challenge was more the mental side of it. He was fragile and deflated.”

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Great article by Botch. Really goes to show how development isn't linear, and players develop in more ways than just on the ice.

Because he struggled while recovering from mono??

Dahlen is a terrible example to use for non-linear development.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Because he struggled while recovering from mono??

Dahlen is a terrible example to use for non-linear development.
Were you seriously unable to read the brief excerpt I posted? Your posts clutter so much of this board because they either lazily pass over or willfully misconstrue the substance of other's posts.

In the quote I posted, Johnson made it clear that it wasn't just physical recovery that Dahlen needed, but also time to mentally build up his confidence again. That was his "biggest challenge," a mental hurdle that made him feel like his development had gone completely south. But it looks like he came back stronger than ever, after learning how to deal with failure, and missed expectations. I think that's a great example of non-linear development.

Again:

“Technically, it did take that amount of time for him to really get his feet underneath him again, and his strength and his endurance back,” Johnson said. “But to me, his biggest challenge was more the mental side of it. He was fragile and deflated.”​

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Were you seriously unable to read the brief excerpt I posted? Your posts clutter so much of this board because they either lazily pass over or willfully misconstrue the substance of other's posts.

In the quote I posted, Johnson made it clear that it wasn't just physical recovery that Dahlen needed, but also time to mentally build up his confidence again. That was his "biggest challenge," a mental hurdle that made him feel like his development had gone completely south. But it looks like he came back stronger than ever, after learning how to deal with failure, and missed expectations. I think that's a great example of non-linear development.

Again:

That’s not non linear development. He had mono, it affected him physically and, consequently, mentally as well.

It’s not hard man.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
That’s not non linear development. He had mono, it affected him physically and, consequently, mentally as well.

It’s not hard man.
Here we go, another "debate" in the style of "Hodgson wasn't a top-10 pick."

So are you disagreeing with Botchford, when he begins his story about Dahlen's year with:

But a prospect’s development is rarely linear or predictable. There are setbacks and obstacles. And then there’s what happened to Dahlen last season.

Seems like a pretty non-linear story of development to me, and to the author of the article. Perhaps you simply don't understand the term?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Here we go, another "debate" in the style of "Hodgson wasn't a top-10 pick."

So are you disagreeing with Botchford, when he begins his story about Dahlen's year with:

Seems like a pretty non-linear story of development to me, and to the author of the article. Perhaps you simply don't understand the term?

Oh so you like Botchford’s work now? I thought he was a hack or something.

But ya, I guess disagree with the infallible author. This is a great story about the impact of mono on a young player, not about “non linear development”.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Getting the 2016 draft class stud and 2017 WJC superstar - Dahlen from Ottawa for old man Burrows can only be described as “Highway Robbery”

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Getting the 2016 draft class stud and 2017 WJC superstar - Dahlen from Ottawa for old man Burrows can only be described as “Highway Robbery”
Ottawa was all in and they got to within an OT goal of going to the SCF. That was their payoff. Ottawa can never forget that.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
First few weeks that I watched Utica, didn't like what I saw at even strength. Has picked up noticeably at ES in the most recent few weeks. Hopefully it continues. But to my eyes his overall game doesn't look ready for a call-up. Let him keep improving in Utica and then see what he brings in exhibition in Sept.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Haven’t watched much of the Utica games but he seems to have improved after the slow start that he had. Adjusting to the ahl must be harder than I was expecting, as a lotta guys were struggling like lind palmu gajovich.
Hope to see him play a few games with Petey this season.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He seems to have made some progress over the season, but unless we get decimated by injuries (please god no) or make a bunch of trades (please god yes) I figure that just keeping on keeping on in Utica is what's best for him right now. We'll see where he's at in September. Hopefully, he puts a bit of work into his skating during the off season.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Not ready.

Needs to finish in Utica.. hopefully get some AHL playoff experience then spend the summer training his butt off.

Next year he should get the Gaudette treatment and get an NHL call up when players are injured and hopefully have him full time here by the time EP40s elc is over.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s been pretty close to a ppg for a chunk of the year now

?

He has 7 points in his last 7 games but was at 22 points in 43 games to that point.

I’m still seeing all the same problems - he’s slow and can’t separate himself to generate anything on the rush even at the AHL level and still plays a far too soft perimeter game. Has very soft hands that play well on the PP and in 4-on-4/3-on-3 situations but his soft/slow play mostly gets buried 5-on-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad