Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Understood. I'd presume those players you have in mind that Montreal wouldn't want to move don't include Jonathan Drouin? Because I could see him being made available. Would he be of interest at all?
Be looking for right handed wingers or centers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin has been good so far this year, but i thought last night he proved his worth when he was out there against McDavid. He has the skills(speed, size, edges, defensive stick and IQ)to stick with McDavid better than most Dmen, who can expose just about anyone.

Also, hope it isn't a mirage, but Dumba and Brodin have been very good as a duo so far this year. It's almost like they've figured something out. In the past I thought they were a bad match, even though on paper they should've been a great match. Dumba now seems to be more patient, and Brodin a bit more assertive.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brodin has been good so far this year, but i thought last night he proved his worth when he was out there against McDavid. He has the skills(speed, size, edges, defensive stick and IQ)to stick with McDavid better than most Dmen, who can expose just about anyone.

Also, hope it isn't a mirage, but Dumba and Brodin have been very good as a duo so far this year. It's almost like they've figured something out. In the past I thought they were a bad match, even though on paper they should've been a great match. Dumba now seems to be more patient, and Brodin a bit more assertive.

Dumba learned to play defense and be more patient, so Brodin doesn't have to be a babysitter all the time anymore. They are finally reading off of each other too.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Dumba learned to play defense and be more patient, so Brodin doesn't have to be a babysitter all the time anymore. They are finally reading off of each other too.
Agreed. Been a good pair this year instead of being the disaster it has been in past years.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I know his offense is limited, so a number of you think he's a #4 defenseman. But, from goal line to blue line, I'd rather have him than any defenseman on our team. I believe the first priority for defensemen is to prevent scoring opportunities, the second is transitioning the puck out of the zone. Everything else takes a back seat to these two skills and Brodin excels at both. His skating is so good, he is always first to the puck, escapes the forecheck and transitions the puck out of the zone. I haven't seen a defenseman better than him at this all year.

He also has the ability to contain top level players in the defensive zone. Nobody beats him one on one, both on the rush and in the defensive zone. Opposing players with the puck in the corner never escape him. He takes away their time and space, not allowing them to make positive plays. Every time I watch him I'm amazed with his play.

For my money, over the next 5 years, I'd take him over any other defenseman on our team.

Reactions: P10p and Twoods1623

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know if I can recall a Dman that has ever played like Brodin. Most defensive Dmen can't skate like him. In some ways like the great Borje Salming, minus the offense. I think Brodin is tighter in the D zone than he ever was, though.

If Brodin ever played a regular shift on the PP, he would be scoring 30+ pts./yr., and would be thought of in the same light as Lindholm is.

Overall, I think our D is the best it's ever been. Soucy has been great, Dumba looks steady, and Spurgeon continues to be fantastic. Hunt isn't perfect defensively, but he's ok, and his offense is terrific for a relative nobody. Suter looks better than last year, and continues to rack up points. He looks far less stressed now Dumba isn't playing with him.:sarcasm:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Brodin ever played a regular shift on the PP, he would be scoring 30+ pts./yr., and would be thought of in the same light as Lindholm is.
Disagree. He's had regular shifts in the past on the PP... he was removed because he isn't good there. He has very bad offensive instincts.

His PP time was downright painful to watch.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Brodin has been excellent all year, he has always been good but seems like his game has taken another step this year, really impressed with his play. During the Boston game they had quotes from Coyle during play of trying to stay away from his pokecheck, he went on to break up 4 or 5 plays with that pokecheck right after that lol.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin could easily rack up 8-10 pts. year on the PP, which would give him 30+ pts. year. That's all. I never said that he should be on the PP, in light of our lineup, but it's pretty easy to pass the puck to Dumba and get assists, or get the 2nd assist when Dumba's shot is tipped in.

We too often ignore the PP TOI when we are looking at scoring.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Odd, I heard he was a Crocodile guy.

upload_2019-11-30_20-58-43.jpeg

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This was an excerpt from a recent Athletic article;

15. Offensive players usually get all the hype, so I wanted to shed some light on a defensive star this year: Minnesota’s Jonas Brodin. Based on RAPM (a fancy play-driving metric that uses regression to determine which players are responsible), Brodin has saved the Wild 69 shot attempts (1st), four expected goals (1st) and just over two actual goals (13th) above average. He’s one of just two defensemen to rank in the top 15 in all three categories, with the other being Boston’s Brandon Carlo. If there were to be an award for best defensive defenseman this year, those two would arguably be the most worthy.
It would be Brodin’s to lose though as he’s head and shoulders above the rest of the field in the chances his team surrenders while he’s on the ice. The Wild have the league’s second-lowest expected goals against per 60 behind only Boston and Brodin is a big part of that.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad