Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Do you think Brodin can step back into the #2 defenseman role going forward?

He had an excellent rookie year playing alongside Suter. Last season he struggled more, prompting Yeo to put Spurgeon on the top pairing (which was ugly). Brodin ended up playing well in the playoffs, but his minutes and deployment were much easier than they had been in the past.

Can he step up offensively and play 25+ minutes a night again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I think he was already there. For me, the issues arose away from Suter, not with him.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
He will most definitely step back into the #2 role.
He just went through his sophomore slump and will come back even stronger next year.

He is going to use this offseason to bulk up and come back next season like the Lidstrom 2.0 we got to know last his first year. Just with more muscle.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The 8 goals were a pleasant surprise, but 11 assists was only 2 more than he had in the 45 game season the year before.

It's pretty clear that teams were trying to rattle him with physical play, and it was pretty effective. He needs to put on some muscle, and get the ice back in his veins. He went from playing beyond his years to playing his years.

Still plenty of promise going forward.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
I actually he was our 2nd best Dmen in the hawks series,, agreed he struggled a bit before that tho(compared to last year)

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
This year IMO our defensive rankings:

1.Suter
2/3.Spurgeon
3/2.Scandella
4.Brodin
5.Prosser
6.Stoner
7.Ballard

As everyone else said physical play isn't his strong suit. He seemed to make quite a few more bad plays with the puck I just didn't notice his first year. Growing pains I suppose. I wish he would skate with it more. He could get of trouble with his feet and it seems he forgets with the big check coming and just chips it somewhere.

Billy Mays Here*

Hopefully he gives it a Granlund-like effort this off-season and comes back strong. Kid took too many penalties this year and was pretty streaky. Shame too after how he came flying out of the gate those first 10 games or so.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Well, you can certainly say for our younger crop of players, they are smart, don't lack character, and aren't afraid of the work it takes to improve. It is well in Brodin's ability to become a notch or two stronger and better next season - he's but a pup.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Its easy to forget this kid is 20 years old, in his breakout year in Wild he was 19.. My oh my, we have Lidstrom junior on our team, with 22 seasons ahead of him, all in the Wild uniform..:yo:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Also you have to remember that he was playing super super well before his injury and looked like a completely different player. He probably was favoring it a little bit when he came back and developed some bad habits and tendencies. With an offseason of rest and hopefully training (to put on more muscle because as others have said, he needs it--badly) he will come out looking really strong. I'm expecting him to show that he's made a lot of strides next year and have a monster year.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
One thing he needs to do for sure is bulk up. Way too lanky.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I'm not sure if Brodin needs to bulk up. He uses his feet and smarts, not physicality. I think he just needs stamina to be able to maintain his skating for the whole season. I thought he didn't play to his strengths after his injury. He still has that potential to be a great #2 D, even #1.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let's put it this way. His floor is to be a #4 D man. Ceiling a #1. He needs to work on his body and his game in the off season for him to be a# 2. I would like to see him use his beautiful skating more and create more offensive opportunities like Spurgeon. I would also like to see him get more opportunities on the PP... I think he had a sneaky good shot and a very good PP IQ back at the point, unlike a certain forward whose last name rhymes with " Toms". I believe the defensive boo-boos are partly a product of him being harassed and beaten down physically, and psychically.

I'm looking forward to seeing him next year , when he will finally be able to drink legally!

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Good TWD that had a sophmore slump but improved against Chicago. He will rebound next year in a big way. Would like to see him beef up a bit.

Long live bacon.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
He has the smarts that cannot be taught. I have all the confidence in him hitting his ceiling.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Seemed shaky at times this year, but I think the coaches and him will sit down this summer and iron out the wrinkles. Kid still has a world of potential.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I thought he played awsome and far surpassed my expectations in a big way.

Unil this year he had 4 professioanl goals.

This year he gets 8. He is learning what he can and cannot do. Those take swings, some are hits and some not. But i saw him trying to be that 2 way threat. Not a guy content to play it safe and be a great stay at home guy.

2nd in TOI total

2nd in TOI ES

2nd D on TOI PK

Little PP time.

He was from the draft class after Nino, Coyle and Granlund.

Or he is only one draft year ahead of Dumba.

Biggs111

Apr 18, 2014
He noticeably lacked confidence ever since breaking his jaw… He had the yips ever since then - doing anything to get rid of the puck to not get hit - even if it meant chipping it up the boards to the opponent several times every game...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00