Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
had a bad season? his plus minus looks bad.
I don't think he had a bad season at all. With Dumba out and Spurgeon on the first pairing, Brodin had a weird rotation of partners from January on. He also switched between the right and left side fairly often. He had some good games and some bad games, but overall he was steady. I thought he had some stretches where he looked more assertive offensively, too.

His +/- probably has a lot to do with the team struggling to score goals for the second half of the season.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

P10p

May 15, 2012
Brodin looked more engaged this year. He was playing hard most nights.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Brodin is frustrating to me. I always thought he was going to develop an offensive side to his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DumbaTrain

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Brodin looked more engaged this year. He was playing hard most nights.
Yeah, I don't think he was any better or worse than he normally is, but he was much more physical this year.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
You all know my feelings regarding Brodin. I am a fan, the biggest out there probably. I think injuries and lack of scoring made him look like he had a down year ultimately. He had a good year, even with his +/- being a career worst and only his 2nd time being a -. When he was with Spurgeon, those two were arguably the best 2nd pair the Wild have ever had. Their advanced stats were awesome but unfortunately, they only played together for 8.8% of the season's distribution of TOI. Brods GF% was a full 20% worse when he was with either of Pateryn or Hunt.

He is what he is offensively at this point but people need to remember that he is 25 years old and played in 530 NHL games for a reason. He has YEARS left of top 4D in him and at the price we pay of $4.16M a year currently, that is darn good value.

Reactions: fgobuzz

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
not every d man needs to be an offensive weapon. i think brodin does a great job. doesn't make many mistakes. that's more important than you think. see edm defense

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
not every d man needs to be an offensive weapon. i think brodin does a great job. doesn't make many mistakes. that's more important than you think. see edm defense
I don't think he needs to be a weapon, but my complaint about him in past seasons is that he defuses plays at both ends of the ice. And I didn't have that complaint much this year (especially before Dumba's injury) which is good because it indicates that it might be more of a mindset thing than a total lack of offensive instincts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
had a bad season? his plus minus looks bad.
Plus minus means nothing.
I actually thought he was very good. No injuries, he looked very fast and was stronger than ever. He doesn't lose many board battles in the D zone.

Would have been very interesting if he could've played the year with Spurgeon. They were a very exciting duo. Instead, after Dumba went down, he ended up playing with a grab bag of third pairing Dmen.

One other thing. Brodin is a "fit" for this team. We've got three Dmen, 4 including Hunt, who are offensively above average. Our team D is already either the most potent, or one of the most potent in the league (especially when Dumbs gets back). Brodin is one of the defensive bulwarks of this team. I would also argue that having his elite skill at puck retrieval and evading the forecheck, allowing for a good first move out of the zone, aids the offense. Hard to score when you are hemmed in the Dzone.

The D is fine on this team. Brodin is fine. Our forwards are f***ing awful, or f***ing old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Plus minus means nothing.
I actually thought he was very good. No injuries, he looked very fast and was stronger than ever. He doesn't lose many board battles in the D zone.

Would have been very interesting if he could've played the year with Spurgeon. They were a very exciting duo. Instead, after Dumba went down, he ended up playing with a grab bag of third pairing Dmen.
Of course it means something.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Seeler-x

Our blueline should be the strength of this team moving forward. Fenton is just going to get pennies on the dollar for any player he trades.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
is he more physical nowdays? he was always non-physical when i watched him.
Decently. When he was younger, they'd try to abuse him. Not so much, now. He'll compete and rub out people in board battles, but he's more about stick checking than body checking in the open ice, though you could say that about most of the NHL.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Decently. When he was younger, they'd try to abuse him. Not so much, now. He'll compete and rub out people in board battles, but he's more about stick checking than body checking in the open ice, though you could say that about most of the NHL.
He can go into the corners and more often than not out muscle someone who is bigger than he is. He also doesn't get knocked on his ass as much his first few years.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hello, Habs fan here. I was wondering if Brodin is available? And by that I don't necessarily mean if you guys would be willing to part with him, but rather do you see him being moved this off-season? What would be a fair offer from Montreal? For a player of his age I believe both roster player and picks/prospects would be available. Curious what you think.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Hello, Habs fan here. I was wondering if Brodin is available? And by that I don't necessarily mean if you guys would be willing to part with him, but rather do you see him being moved this off-season? What would be a fair offer from Montreal? For a player of his age I believe both roster player and picks/prospects would be available. Curious what you think.
i dont see him being moved without MTL asking us. unlike zucker i dont see him being shopped but if the right offer comes in he can be had. unsure of fair offer im unfamiliar with MTL prospects and roster but a right handed forward would be a perk who has offensive skill

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see him being moved, though he's probably not off limits or anything. Gallagher would fit a pretty serious need for us, but I don't see Montreal going there. I guess if Fenton really wanted another 1st he might move him for Montreal's this year, but that still seems like an unlikely move for both teams.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Very unlikely he's moved because there's no reason to shop him. The blue line is still the Wild's best aspect. To get him it would probably have to be an offer coming in that's just good enough to justify the hole he'd leave. Outside of a couple guys you probably really don't want to trade I don't see what MTL could offer because Brodin is a guy the Wild really don't want to trade as well. Lesser players with picks isn't a viable return.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im happy with our D core as is however with the upcoming expansion we can probably only protect 3 D so i'd consider trading brodin for your #15 first & prospect. not sure what other posters think just an off the top of my head guess.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
im happy with our D core as is however with the upcoming expansion we can probably only protect 3 D so i'd consider trading brodin for your #15 first & prospect. not sure what other posters think just an off the top of my head guess.
I think 15's probably a fair starting point if we want futures.

It's been pointed out that Brodin hitting UFA the summer of the expansion draft might get us around that particular problem, though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Brodin is a guy that you move. He seems to be just hitting his prime, and probably has at least 7 or 8 more good years. He is such a good skater that he can lose a step or two and still be very effective, and his hockey sense won't go away. Getting a mid 1st rounder, when he was a 10 oa he worked out far better then most #10's do? Why would we do that, unless the + is damn good? It's not like Brodin has a bad contract, or Suter had such an awesome year that we aren't starting to worry about where our LD will be in a couple of years time.

It's not like we have anyone banging on the the door to take his place in the top4. We have a terrific top4, then a BIIIIGGGG gap. If we did have someone coming up, then moving a Spurgeon or Brodin might be more of an option. I think we all saw how exposed Pateryn was as a #4D, and Seeler and Hunt, though they have their charms, are no better. Hunt, is pretty bad in the D zone, and Seeler looks like his ceiling is as a #5.

We have to see a lot more of Belpedio or Mennell before they are deemed top4 worthy, and Soucy seems to be a bottom pairing guy.

Would've been nice if Fenton hadn't wasted last year's 1st on FJo. This year there will probably a lot of mid/late 1st rounders and mid round Dmen available. Trading Zucker for a 1st, then getting a Seider/Harley/Broberg/Heinola/York, then a Brinkman in the 3rd round would give us some hope for a future top4 candidate.

Bottom line, Brodin only goes if he is nets us a top 8 pick(maybe...to me, there's a top 2, then a bunch of dudes from 3-11/12 in this draft), or if he is paired with another asset(Zucker) to get someone awesome, but that usually never happens. I'd just as soon trade Zucker, and hope that a Lavoie or something falls to us, or one of the Dmen listed above.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Gallagher would fit a pretty serious need for us, but I don't see Montreal going there. I guess if Fenton really wanted another 1st he might move him for Montreal's this year, but that still seems like an unlikely move for both teams.

Gallagher is off limits. Trading him has the potential of completely unbalancing the team dynamics, both on and off the ice. On the other hand, a 1st rounder as a basis of a deal is something I think Bergevin would definitely consider for a player of Brodins' caliber.

Very unlikely he's moved because there's no reason to shop him. The blue line is still the Wild's best aspect. To get him it would probably have to be an offer coming in that's just good enough to justify the hole he'd leave. Outside of a couple guys you probably really don't want to trade I don't see what MTL could offer

Understood. I'd presume those players you have in mind that Montreal wouldn't want to move don't include Jonathan Drouin? Because I could see him being made available. Would he be of interest at all?

im happy with our D core as is however with the upcoming expansion we can probably only protect 3 D so i'd consider trading brodin for your #15 first & prospect.

This is a deal Montreal would consider as well imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad