Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I looked at total D-zone starts from the last 3 full seasons.

1281 to 1226. (Brodin)

See your point though.

Ah, ya. That's just a function of ice time. Brodin has an extra 500 minutes to get 55 extra D zone starts.

If you go league wide over that time period, Suter has the most offensive zone starts and the 4th most Defensive zone starts in the entire league.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was pure filthness, especially when heard that zing and moments afterwards understood what happened.. Brodin with the benefits. Gold.

E: But those Golden whatever Vegasese.. it's a no no. Someone else must be handed for them. Kind of tough because Zucker, Granny, Dumba been looking real good too lately.

Whoever it is, we must have them strapped on an Aztec altar, with Fletcher above him with a ceremonial knife, ready to carve out his heart the moment LV selects him( Dumba must be intoning Aztec rituals in the background).

Or is that a bit overboard?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I remember when the Wild drafted him he weighed about 165 pounds. I see now he is over 190 which is good.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
QM7mjrOJrcDZK4lXhGyjSOHuaRS1IrXTBcqk4ZT393s8=w518-h291-p-no

As I've always said--we love bacon!

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Whoever it is, we must have them strapped on an Aztec altar, with Fletcher above him with a ceremonial knife, ready to carve out his heart the moment LV selects him( Dumba must be intoning Aztec rituals in the background).

Or is that a bit overboard?

God damn, that's just how it'll go. Business as usual :naughty:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What was the origin of "Bacon" again? And on that topic, why is JEE "Oak"? I seem to remember it being related to Professor Oak. :laugh:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
What was the origin of "Bacon" again? And on that topic, why is JEE "Oak"? I seem to remember it being related to Professor Oak. :laugh:

Brodin was gifted by his Farjestad teammates a semi load of bacon, after that the nicname stuck, even on this side of the pond. Ek directly translates to Oak from Swedish to English.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Brodin was gifted by his Farjestad teammates a semi load of bacon, after that the nicname stuck, even on this side of the pond. Ek directly translates to Oak from Swedish to English.

Pretty sure his favorite food is pasta with bacon.

WildWick

Apr 17, 2017
St. Paul
I’m a rare poster, but often reader. I feel like Brodin being shopped around on these boards seems ridiculous. Is he perfect...god no, but he is as close to a Suter replacement that I have seen. The guy has great positioning, great skating, great stick work, great defensive mind and great passing abilities!

Is he weak at clearing the crease...sure. Does he put up a ton of points...no (apparently an important stat for DEFENSMEN!)

Defensmen should stop goals from going in the net first and foremost and scoring or assisting goals is a bonus. Brodin was the best in +\- for defensmen for this team.

I was at the draft when he was selected and immediately turned to the friends I was with and asked “who the **** is this guy?!” Since his play with the wild...I have not been disappointed.

People have different opinions on everything and that what makes learning and growing happen in this world and I just thought I’d share mine.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The best defensemen in the league can do BOTH. Nothing against Brodin, he's a hell of a player, but no, he is not close to being a Ryan Suter replacement. Not remotely.

Reactions: FVM and Wild11MN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Where does the idea that Brodin is a good passer come from? He's absolutely gutless when it comes to the breakout, and quite frankly, his passing is well below average for a top 4 dman.

WildWick

Apr 17, 2017
St. Paul
Everyone’s opinions are valid...like I mentioned. I appreciate both your responses to my post.

Talon- you’ve been a poster here for a long time and most of what you say I think I usually agree with. I just don’t agree that the best defensmen do both argument. Again... just my opinion. I don’t argue that the best forwards are also both great and accumulating points as also being great defensively. Most high end point producing forwards lack in the defensive side of the game. Not all...just most. That being said...why hold defensmen to a different standard?

2pair- also appreciate your opinion and input. I think Brodin has an above average pass to the forwards. It’s not Suter level by any means, but is better than most.

Again...I’m not saying Brodin is the end all be all of defensmen, but what he has to offer is more of what is needed. We have nobody in the system that we know that can replace Suter when he starts to decline. Brodin is the closest.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Everyone’s opinions are valid...like I mentioned. I appreciate both your responses to my post.

Talon- you’ve been a poster here for a long time and most of what you say I think I usually agree with. I just don’t agree that the best defensmen do both argument. Again... just my opinion. I don’t argue that the best forwards are also both great and accumulating points as also being great defensively. Most high end point producing forwards lack in the defensive side of the game. Not all...just most. That being said...why hold defensmen to a different standard?

2pair- also appreciate your opinion and input. I think Brodin has an above average pass to the forwards. It’s not Suter level by any means, but is better than most.

Again...I’m not saying Brodin is the end all be all of defensmen, but what he has to offer is more of what is needed. We have nobody in the system that we know that can replace Suter when he starts to decline. Brodin is the closest.
The BEST forwards... yes, they do infact do both. Just as the BEST defensemen also do both.

If you are an elite player in your own zone, and you are also in the top 5% in your position at producing points, you are infact doing both and that makes you better than someone who may be elite in their own zone but avg or below avg in the offensive zone.

Sidney Crosby, for all the points he gets... he's not a "passenger" in the defensive zone himself. Is he a Bergeron level defensive player? No, but he's above avg. That's why he's still a better player overall than Connor McMuffins who has a long ways to go yet in the defensive zone.

It's not a double standard at all. Quite simply, the best players (both forward and defense) play well at both ends of the ice.

In the end, LHD are easy to find overall. There are so many LHD in the league it's crazy. It's RHD that is harder to find. Brodin plays well at one end of the ice in an easily replaceable position. He's not a Suter replacement, because he can't replace Suter at both ends. Brodin is best in a 2nd pairing role, getting defense heavy zone starts. Suter is an every situation defender who produces at a high level at both ends of the ice. If a replacement is found for him, it likely isn't Brodin in the long run at this point, it would likely be found elsewhere - ie via the draft, trade or free agency if/when the time comes.

Also, it wasn't our defense overall that was a problem vs the Jets anyway. It was forwards. Seeler played well, and if Brodin is moved in the short-term, I'm confident he can move up to a 2nd pair role along side Spurgeon. I'd be perfectly fine with a top 4 of Suter-Dumba, Seeler-Spurgeon at this point if it meant we could use the value of Brodin to inject some young skill into the forward ranks via prospect or maybe a player that has the skill but just needs a change of scenery to break out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Pair

WildWick

Apr 17, 2017
St. Paul
The BEST forwards... yes, they do infact do both. Just as the BEST defensemen also do both.

If you are an elite player in your own zone, and you are also in the top 5% in your position at producing points, you are infact doing both and that makes you better than someone who may be elite in their own zone but avg or below avg in the offensive zone.

Sidney Crosby, for all the points he gets... he's not a "passenger" in the defensive zone himself. Is he a Bergeron level defensive player? No, but he's above avg. That's why he's still a better player overall than Connor McMuffins who has a long ways to go yet in the defensive zone.

It's not a double standard at all. Quite simply, the best players (both forward and defense) play well at both ends of the ice.

In the end, LHD are easy to find overall. There are so many LHD in the league it's crazy. It's RHD that is harder to find. Brodin plays well at one end of the ice in an easily replaceable position. He's not a Suter replacement, because he can't replace Suter at both ends. Brodin is best in a 2nd pairing role, getting defense heavy zone starts. Suter is an every situation defender who produces at a high level at both ends of the ice. If a replacement is found for him, it likely isn't Brodin in the long run at this point, it would likely be found elsewhere - ie via the draft, trade or free agency if/when the time comes.

Also, it wasn't our defense overall that was a problem vs the Jets anyway. It was forwards. Seeler played well, and if Brodin is moved in the short-term, I'm confident he can move up to a 2nd pair role along side Spurgeon. I'd be perfectly fine with a top 4 of Suter-Dumba, Seeler-Spurgeon at this point if it meant we could use the value of Brodin to inject some young skill into the forward ranks via prospect or maybe a player that has the skill but just needs a change of scenery to break out.
I can appreciate that. Thanks for explaining further on your side. Again...opinions are a learning experience and you usually have insight. I still prefer my highly reliable Brodin, over someone like Dumba who is a defensive nightmare. Either way...like you... I want the best for this team.

I just think he’s undervalued what he can be for this team in the future. If he gets traded...he gets traded. I just think the Jets series could have ended up worse than it already was without Brodin.

Not everyone will agree on everything someone else has to say. That’s why we’ll have a new GM soon. Again...different opinions created ideas, jobs and better solutions to problems. I’m just presenting mine to anyone who gives a ****.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't really agree with Brodin not being good enough to be a #1D (or at least top pair) if given the 2k mins ToI for a season.
-His d-zone play is borderline elite. I'd like to see more physicality from him.
-His (5v5) 0-zone stats the last 2 seasons is on par with Suter's career per /6o stats. Brodin does take a beating in the Corsi department. I'd like to see him be a little more assertive/aggressive when it comes to o-zone play.

It's not like Suter is some huge point guy at even strength: he's never even hit the 30p mark, and hovers around the 25p-27p range. I think Brodin can be in that similar range if healthy and given the minutes.

For the PP Brodin isn't really that bad: 16-17 he lead the d-men with 8.1 GF/60. This year's (small sample size) 7.3 GF/60 was ahead of Dumba, and still would have been ahead of the other d-men 16-17 stats. He really needs a consistent spot to really see if those numbers are sustainable.

Brodin is in the Suter/McDonagh mold of d-men and not the EK/Burns mold.

His passing is fine. He just is more apt to make the safe play and defer to the more offensive minded d-man.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Suter playing top pair; he's a true 1D. But I'm comfortable with Brodin playing as the top pair LD next season if Suter can't come back or his game drops off a cliff.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It's not about Brodin. It's about Brodin playing for the Wild.
Suter is signed for a bunch of years and as long as we have a RHD he will be paired with Suter.
So, ipso facto, Brodin is no #1 or #2 D for US.
Is he good as a #3? Yes, most likely.

In a perfect world we would still have Haula, Tuch, Scandella, Burns and our 3rd round picks who became Guentzel and Point, just to mention a few mismanaged deals.

But it's not a perfect world.
And we have to give something to get something.
And so Brodin is the logical solution for trade bait.
He is good, but a LHD and we have Suter, Seeler and Olofsson e.g.

For a different team he might be a valuable first pair D and might net some scoring power.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter might not recover, or recover fully from his injury.

Olofsson can't stay on the ice and was iffy when he was on it.

Seeler has 27 gp in the NHL.

Don't see how any of the facts above lead to a conclusion that Brodin should be made available in trade.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I can appreciate that. Thanks for explaining further on your side. Again...opinions are a learning experience and you usually have insight. I still prefer my highly reliable Brodin, over someone like Dumba who is a defensive nightmare. Either way...like you... I want the best for this team.

I just think he’s undervalued what he can be for this team in the future. If he gets traded...he gets traded. I just think the Jets series could have ended up worse than it already was without Brodin.

Not everyone will agree on everything someone else has to say. That’s why we’ll have a new GM soon. Again...different opinions created ideas, jobs and better solutions to problems. I’m just presenting mine to anyone who gives a ****.
Except he's nowhere near a defensive nightmare.

Reactions: 123TripleDoge

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Suter might not recover, or recover fully from his injury.

Olofsson can't stay on the ice and was iffy when he was on it.

Seeler has 27 gp in the NHL.

Don't see how any of the facts above lead to a conclusion that Brodin should be made available in trade.
He's a valuable piece that can help change the forward lines.

The status quo doesn't work, so change has to come from somewhere.

Lhd is easier to replace than rhd.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brodin's league wide rankings (NHL.com stats):
Goals: 6 (tied for 64th)
Assists: 15 (tied for 95th)
Games: 73 (tied 89th)
ESP: 18 (tied 77th)
PPP: 3 (tied 89th)
+/-: +23 (tied 10th)

Ad

Upcoming events