Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So in the end, Canucks prized second rounders from the 2017 draft--Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich--are both on waivers and available to anyone in the NHL.

So much ink spilled about them as NHL prospects over the past four years, and both destined for another season in the AHL. And still an open question whether either of them ever make it.

Such is nature of the NHL draft when you're drafting 18 year-old kids trying to project where they'll end up.
Our draft guru GM has the prospects flowing like a NYC sewer.

There is literally f*** all in the pipeline now.

Reactions: LordBacon

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
No idea if he can actually play in the NHL. However, it was clear he made significant improvements to his mobility in the off season and he looked reasonable in the ice time he got. It drives me nuts when an organization essentially has things set in their minds before camp starts that they don’t seem to allow young risers to, well, rise. Instead he gets scratched and has limited ice time in the games he gets and we get to watch 26+ year old known entities get all sorts of rope.

I know it’ll be “well he can’t kill penalties” or some other non-sense. Of course one needs to be given a chance to prove someone wrong.

Excellent point here. Under Benning's regime the team has been pre-set before even camp begins. The last player that really earned his spot in those years was Hoglander.

Even in a year where there was supposed to be a lot of open spots for bottom 6 guys, he's managed to fill them with old, slow vets. With the team being built upside down for many years, NOW the top 6 are actually paid what they're worth, it's time to fill the bottom 6 with cheap, homegrown ELCs.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Excellent point here. Under Benning's regime the team has been pre-set before even camp begins. The last player that really earned his spot in those years was Hoglander.

Even in a year where there was supposed to be a lot of open spots for bottom 6 guys, he's managed to fill them with old, slow vets. With the team being built upside down for many years, NOW the top 6 are actually paid what they're worth, it's time to fill the bottom 6 with cheap, homegrown ELCs.

I disagree. Cracknell, Motte, Gaudette, Skille, and Schaller (in his 2nd year) legitimately earned a spot. Virtanen, Hutton, and McCann as well. Plenty of guys that were not "pre-set" to make the team before camp begins. What's the equivalent list for Gillis, Nonis, and Burke's regimes?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's definitely nice to see Gadjovich taking another step in his development. I hope he clears waivers. He is a bit of a late bloomer and I hope he continues the positive trend. Small sample size but Gadjovich looked fine to me. If Pods and Lockwood weren't rookies competing for spots Gadjovich might be given more of a chance. But alas. Just hope he clears waivers.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Good move. It's likely he'll clear, and then we'll be able to bring him up later in the season when we get into the usual bottom 6 injury trouble. Not stressed about this move at all.

Reactions: hookshott

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Funny since he's well-liked and respected around the league and the players love him. But I get it your probably a well respected hockey mind and have won several cups on GM mode.
So, you are an insider and know he is "well liked and respected around the league" and you must be player to know that the "players love him"! Your statements mean nothing...but Travis's record in 4 years (one more year than Willie got) show what kind of coach he actually is. Gone part way through the season...I and many others, hope.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So, you are an insider and know he is "well liked and respected around the league" and you must be player to know that the "players love him"! Your statements mean nothing...but Travis's record in 4 years (one more year than Willie got) show what kind of coach he actually is. Gone part way through the season...I and many others, hope.
Hater.

Travis Green donated a kidney to save my life. A complete stranger.

That's a true humanitarian. You should be ashamed of yourself!:thumbd:

Good move. It's likely he'll clear, and then we'll be able to bring him up later in the season when we get into the usual bottom 6 injury trouble. Not stressed about this move at all.
That's assuming he'll be one of the first callups.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I had heard this, but could not find confirmation anywhere. Thanks for this. Do you know where this was announced?
I haven't been able to find an official announcement either. That's when they have been announced each day this season, and this Leafs blog mentioned the time change.

In case you missed it, waivers deadlines each day, which are mandated in the CBA, have been moved to 2 p.m. New York time. This was at the request of western teams where noon is 9 a.m. and that early time made it difficult to get the paperwork filed for claims or assignments considering it was well before practice.

Playing season waivers begins today

Reactions: bobbyb2009

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
I had heard this, but could not find confirmation anywhere. Thanks for this. Do you know where this was announced?

"If the two players, both with NHL game experience, clear the 24-hour waiver period that expires at 11 a.m. Thursday"

Kraken Make Roster Moves

That is the only thing I have seen regarding this, probably just a minor rule change that the NHL never really announced. The change was probably done to help the Pacific teams, as the deadline would be 6am and maybe they would like to sleep on their decision before putting a claim in.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree. Cracknell, Motte, Gaudette, Skille, and Schaller (in his 2nd year) legitimately earned a spot. Virtanen, Hutton, and McCann as well. Plenty of guys that were not "pre-set" to make the team before camp begins. What's the equivalent list for Gillis, Nonis, and Burke's regimes?

Motte was a regular right from when we traded for him. There was a bit of competition but I think most expected he'd make the team.

Skille, Cracknell were Di Guiseppe types that eked into the 13th forward spot.

Schaller ... really? He's the opposite of being on this list.

Virtanen was part of the Advanced Development thing where it was pre-determined that he would be on the roster, and made the team after a very underwhelming preseason. McCann was part of that, too although he probably did earn a spot.

Gaudette never really made the team out of camp. He was cut and then immediately we had a bunch of injuries that forced him into the lineup.

Hutton - yes, he earned a spot.

Reactions: Bubbles

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
this is my point. you and i have only seen him in a couple preseason games.

green has seen him in those games, and at practice. to pretend he doesn't have an inside edge on viewings is kinda silly.

he may have "earned a game" in your eyes, but maybe in practice after playing 5 mins, he's bent over dying from exhaustion.

i don't see green as a bad developmental coach. i can't recall a coach the canucks have had that give more 'looks' to young players than green. name one in the last 15 years?

have a lot of underutilized guys left vancouver and had a ton of success ? I don't see green misjudging our talent, just him not having much talent.

edit... not to mention, this is the time to sneak guys down.

I have zero faith in Green's ability to evaluate players. And yes, consider him a terrible developmental coach. Nothing has developed under him going back to his time in Utica. Vigneault was a developmental god by comparison.

As I've said multiple times, I'm not remotely saying that Gadjovich would have made the team on merit. But the guy had a good season last year, by all reports lost weight and came into camp in great shape, and put up 2 points in like 15 minutes of preseason icetime. You play your young players to see what you have.

Development has been horrible in this organization, especially in terms of developing cheap homegrown bottom-6 guys. And to see basically the only young forward we have anywhere near conversation of making the team get shafted is disappointing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Motte was a regular right from when we traded for him. There was a bit of competition but I think most expected he'd make the team.

Skille, Cracknell were Di Guiseppe types that eked into the 13th forward spot.

Schaller ... really? He's the opposite of being on this list.

Virtanen was part of the Advanced Development thing where it was pre-determined that he would be on the roster, and made the team after a very underwhelming preseason. McCann was part of that, too although he probably did earn a spot.

Gaudette never really made the team out of camp. He was cut and then immediately we had a bunch of injuries that forced him into the lineup.

Hutton - yes, he earned a spot.

Right Gaudette didn't make the team but you missed the point. The point is that those guys or most of those guys weren't expected to make the team and did. We were talking about "pre-set" rosters here.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
seemed overwhelmingly likely that he was going to get grabbed

Reactions: Bubbles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad