Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
if you’re so worried about losing a guy that you bench him and sneak him through but your alternative would have been to just see if he was better than f***ing nic petan and alex chiasson like i don’t get why they didn’t just play him more lol

Well there are players that a team still likes but requires more seasoning. Heck, I don't remember who here said that Lind and Gadjovich are garbage and aren't worth the contract slot? Yet most of us didn't project Lind or Gadjovich to make the team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No idea if he can actually play in the NHL. However, it was clear he made significant improvements to his mobility in the off season and he looked reasonable in the ice time he got. It drives me nuts when an organization essentially has things set in their minds before camp starts that they don’t seem to allow young risers to, well, rise. Instead he gets scratched and has limited ice time in the games he gets and we get to watch 26+ year old known entities get all sorts of rope.

Let's face it, a lot of times 4th line players are interchangeable. That's why many 4th line players have short careers. I think Gadjovich could have filled a 4th line role for this team but he is also better served getting more AHL seasoning. Try and duplicate his scoring exploits from last season while continuing to refine his defensive game. Perhaps add PK duties.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Let's face it, a lot of times 4th line players are interchangeable. That's why many 4th line players have short careers. I think Gadjovich could have filled a 4th line role for this team but he is also better served getting more AHL seasoning. Try and duplicate his scoring exploits from last season while continuing to refine his defensive game. Perhaps add PK duties.

Certainly it’s a 4th line role but let’s face it when an organization continues to pass on internal players and instead brings in pointless veterans it’s not a good look.

I’m even Ok with having him get sent down as camp closes after given a proper chance. I don’t believe he got that chance. That’s the sucky part.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Well there are players that a team still likes but requires more seasoning. Heck, I don't remember who here said that Lind and Gadjovich are garbage and aren't worth the contract slot? Yet most of us didn't project Lind or Gadjovich to make the team.
fan you know that's an intellectually dishonest argument

gadjovich 15 pounds heavier and 20% slower was an obvious player that could never play a role in an NHL top nine. that was a totally valid assessment barring he fixed that.. and he did fix a lot of that with obvious still more work to do.

The more agile gadjovich that we saw in short bursts was worthy of a longer look.

players can change, and opinions can change with that. if juolevi came back this year and could suddenly pivot, skate back effectively and control gaps in transition, that would instantly be a player that we need.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Travis Green is a shit coach
The main positive of Gadjovich being sent down is that it gets him away from Green.

Not that Utica has been a bastion of development ever, but if Green doesn't have the worst development record in the league among head coaches I'd be surprised. The list of promising young players on steep developmental curves that flatlined when they ran into Green is staggeringly long.

Reactions: Hyzer

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Jonah, kick some butt wherever you end up. If in Abby, so be it. But you didn't even get a chance here to show what you could bring. So hope a team picks you up that will give you a real shot.

Hope this blows up in this regimes face.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
if you’re so worried about losing a guy that you bench him and sneak him through but your alternative would have been to just see if he was better than f***ing nic petan and alex chiasson like i don’t get why they didn’t just play him more lol
This is what I don’t get either. My theory is that management is higher on the player than the coach is

Reactions: Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Certainly it’s a 4th line role but let’s face it when an organization continues to pass on internal players and instead brings in pointless veterans it’s not a good look.

I’m even Ok with having him get sent down as camp closes after given a proper chance. I don’t believe he got that chance. That’s the sucky part.

In principal I agree and the Canucks have done this since... Gillis? But to be fair, the Canucks have generally made the right decisions on the internal players that they passed on. Can't think of any Canucks prospect that we were developing in the AHL that went to another team and blossomed (Not counting the McCanns or Grabners since they were seen as NHL players at the time of trade).

I guess the question is, if you don't think Gadjovich is ready to hold down an NHL spot with the Canucks, do you prefer the Canucks try their best to "sneak" him through waivers or does that not matter one bit.

gadjovich 15 pounds heavier and 20% slower was an obvious player that could never play a role in an NHL top nine. that was a totally valid assessment barring he fixed that.. and he did fix a lot of that with obvious still more work to do.

The more agile gadjovich that we saw in short bursts was worthy of a longer look.

players can change, and opinions can change with that. if juolevi came back this year and could suddenly pivot, skate back effectively and control gaps in transition, that would instantly be a player that we need.

That wasn't my point. My point was that one can determine that a player isn't ready to hold down an NHL spot yet still like that player. I would have liked to see Gadjovich get more of a chance to showcase himself too, but if the Canucks have seen enough of him (whether good or bad) and he wasn't going to make the team then I do want the Canucks to try and sneak him through waivers now.

It doesn't have to mean that the Canucks don't like Gadjovich or doesn't believe in him. Given the shorten season last year, Gadjovich can use more seasoning. On the Canucks, he's going to be used as a 4th line energy player who is lucky to get some 2nd unit PP time. Ideally, Gadjovich goes down, proves to be a capable goal scorer in the AHL, and improves the defensive side of his game so that, like Green said, once he gets back up to the NHL he stays there.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kudos to him. he's made himself a prospect again. he has progressed continually since last year.

he's also now in an excellent spot to keep developing and get some coffee cups.

he can earn those by scoring lights out in abbotsford while improving whatever it is that has green so down on him then, if he comes up as a hot goal scorer, he might get some looks he would not get if he made the team as a fourth line footsoldier.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Travis Green is a shit coach
And you are just realizing this now? Green will not survive the season as his many excuses will run dry 1) covid shortened season 2) no camp 3) injuries blah blah blah

We have a playoff roster and a minor league coach.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Not a fan of this move, but think I know why they made it. a work in process. hope he clears, but he was doubtful to make the opening night lineup. As far a value for money goes, he's clearly ahead of 4 or 5 players who will be here opening night.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Jonah, kick some butt wherever you end up. If in Abby, so be it. But you didn't even get a chance here to show what you could bring. So hope a team picks you up that will give you a real shot.

Hope this blows up in this regime's face.
Regime? Lol ok. The simple truth is he is a top-six guy or bust and given our roster and injuries instead of pigeonholing someone who isn't a good fit on the 4th line they chose to keep guys better for that role.
This is just another excuse for the anti-management to shit on the "regime" as you put it.
Unless a team thinks he's worth keeping up he won't get claimed and by doing this we can now call him up whenever and not have to risk him being claimed.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
NHL trend for 4th liners has changed from big heavy players that can fight to faster quicker 4th liners that can penalty kill. For a bigger slower forward you must have enough offensive skill to crack the 3rd line or it’s going to be extremely tough cracking the line up if you can’t PK.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
all ya'll losing your minds over a not very good player that has a much better chance of getting through waivers now than later in the year (if/when motte and sutter come back)

the coaches also see him in practice. the fact they saw something which said they only needed to see him in two preseason games, says a lot imo. still being slow is likely a non-starter

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Why does everyone attribute the "looks" we get as fans as being the same as what the coaches see ?

Deficiencies in a player's game can be gleaned from so much more than preseason games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
all ya'll losing your minds over a not very good player that has a much better chance of getting through waivers now than later in the year (if/when motte and sutter come back)

the coaches also see him in practice. the fact they saw something which said they only needed to see him in two preseason games, says a lot imo. still being slow is likely a non-starter

The frustration isn't that he was waived, it was that he was given such a small look - and looked pretty decent in it. We really don't know what we have here. Meanwhile Sheldon Dries and Carson Focht are playing late into the preseason, Alex Chiasson is getting huge minutes, Justin Dowling is getting a full game on PP1, and so on. This player earned another game or two and didn't get it. It's not a big deal but fans like to see young players who have come up through the system to be given fair shots and when it doesn't happen it grates.

Per your second point, I think Travis Green is absolutely terrible at judging the abilities of the players at his disposal.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The frustration isn't that he was waived, it was that he was given such a small look - and looked pretty decent in it. We really don't know what we have here. Meanwhile Sheldon Dries and Carson Focht are playing late into the preseason, Alex Chiasson is getting huge minutes, Justin Dowling is getting a full game on PP1, and so on. This player earned another game or two and didn't get it. It's not a big deal but fans like to see young players who have come up through the system to be given fair shots and when it doesn't happen it grates.

Per your second point, I think Travis Green is absolutely terrible at judging the abilities of the players at his disposal.

this is my point. you and i have only seen him in a couple preseason games.

green has seen him in those games, and at practice. to pretend he doesn't have an inside edge on viewings is kinda silly.

he may have "earned a game" in your eyes, but maybe in practice after playing 5 mins, he's bent over dying from exhaustion.

i don't see green as a bad developmental coach. i can't recall a coach the canucks have had that give more 'looks' to young players than green. name one in the last 15 years?

have a lot of underutilized guys left vancouver and had a ton of success ? I don't see green misjudging our talent, just him not having much talent.

edit... not to mention, this is the time to sneak guys down.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So in the end, Canucks prized second rounders from the 2017 draft--Kole Lind and Jonah Gadjovich--are both on waivers and available to anyone in the NHL.

So much ink spilled about them as NHL prospects over the past four years, and both destined for another season in the AHL. And still an open question whether either of them ever make it.

Such is nature of the NHL draft when you're drafting 18 year-old kids trying to project where they'll end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad