Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well that's your narrative.........I don't think it's clear at all that they were trying to sneak him thru but I will admit it is possible............

It's pretty clear when junk like Focht and Dries are playing multiple preseason games after Gadjovich was pulled, after Gadjovich was one of the team's better forwards in very limited minutes in his two early preseason games.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Isn't Podkolzin and Lockwood still in contention to make "rookie mistakes" and suffer "growing pains?"

Fair enough, but I'm assuming Lockwood will be sent down before the season starts to make room for Petan, Chaisson, and co.

Podz is a 10th OA pick who comes with a lot of hype/hope/reward. I think different conversations go into sending him down (which very well still could be the case).

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
It sucks to lose a prospect for nothing but this guy has played 1 game since being drafted 4 years ago for Canucks. I mean I really doubt he was ever gonna play for us anyway. A guy with his size should have been given a shot by now to play a bottom 6 role by now if he had anything to give. We should have traded him if we weren't gonna give him a chance so in that regard another asset blunder. However in the big picture I doubt anything becomes of him.

Reactions: Indiana

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well that's your narrative.........I don't think it's clear at all that they were trying to sneak him thru but I will admit it is possible............
Multiple teams were willing to put a claim. The team currently has Petan Dries Chiasson Bailey Di Guiseppe and Focht playing games all of which would clear waivers rather easily.

Teams saw something in Gadjovich and are willing to give him a roster spot meanwhile the 6 players i mentioned are and have been playing a bunch of pre season games to audition for the team. Either we are really bad pro scouts, so bad that we wont give a player that others see as a probable NHLer a run of pre season games or they wanted to slip him through.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
They thought they were being sneaky by barely playing him in the pre-season and keeping him in the AHL.

Just a bizarre situation considering who’s still on the roster

22 year old with 15 goals in 19 AHL games and a good camp …. Who were they trying to fool? Lol. JB inability to get draft picks is an actual superpower…. In reverse.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Maybe the Canucks should start developing their prospects to PK?

Like 3 AHL seasons and they’ve got guys who can’t PK? Uh if AHLers are ever going to make it it’s almost always as a bottom of the lineup player. Why not train your bottom of the lineup players to do what you want your bottom of the lineup players to do.

This newfound “but does he PK” seems so ridiculous to me. It’s where the lesser players on teams get their reps all the way back to minor hockey. PKing is not this bugaboo it gets presented as to support poor coaching/managerial decisions.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Well he isn't strong defensively, doesn't play on the PK, is too slow on the forecheck, and his speed isn't NHL ready. Sure he could be a bottom 6 player in the future but those players are very easy to replace especially once you start winning. People on this site love to overrate young prospects but in reality, Petan and Chassion right now are both better than Gadjovich.
I don't agree with your assessment at all, he has looked much better than Petan and Chaisson. How many quality minutes has Petan been gifted?

Reactions: mossey3535

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't agree with your assessment at all, he has looked much better than Petan and Chaisson. How many quality minutes has Petan been gifted?
Exactly, I’d love to see their stat lines if their ice time and linemates were swapped

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Why didn't they at least play the hell out of Gadjovich in the preseason before sending him down? At least then you know he's decent enough to maybe be an NHLer and you keep him up, or he's not good enough and he's shown that to every team in the NHL and he clears waivers. Just seems like a missed opportunity to me. It's not like they've been loading up each game with a full roster so he should've had more of a look.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I've had some time to stew on this and here are my thoughts (in no particular order):

1) If there was a time to try and "sneak" a player through waivers, this was the time to do it. Playing Gadjovich less in the preseason increases the odds of him clearing waivers (i.e. the opposite of showcasing the player).

2) Did the Canucks know that Gadjovich would be lost to waivers? It doesn't seem like they did, otherwise (unless they have seen enough) they would have given Gadjovich a greater chance to see what they got? The Canucks really need to gather better intel. They lost Cracknell and McKenna on waivers with unintended results.

3) Why don't they didn't give Gadjovich the Chiasson trial? Gadjovich has at least some upside while Chiasson is 31 and can only decline from here. My personal thoughts is this is on Green. He notably was pulled off the ice by Green after making one bad giveaway. Every other prospect that we gave auditions to last year got more opportunities.

4) I am starting to get really sad over losing Gadjovich. The steps he took to improve his game is promising. He might turn into a 15-20 goal middle 6 "power forward" or a 4th line banger who can fight.

5) The only thing preventing me from absolutely hating what happened to Gadjovich is that I don't really know whether he is good enough to play in the NHL right now. If he isn't then trying to sneak him through waivers is one of the better options.

6) Going back to #5, how improved is he? There's no question that Gadjovich has the ability to score garbage goals. If his skating isn't holding him back he can forecheck, win puck battles along the wall, and fight. Back only few months ago the reviews were that there's no way his skating is good enough to play in the NHL and he doesn't have a high motor, good defensive acumen, and puck skills to begin with even at the AHL level.

7) I am trying to cope with the loss. I do think that San Jose will end up waiving Gadjovich and I hope the Canucks re-claim him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think it's perfectly reasonable and possible to believe both:

a) that Gadjovich is a longshot as an NHL player

and

b) it's frustrating/disappointing that after years of developing him, the team didn't put him in the best possible chance to succeed after he seemed to have made recent progress.

It is true that he was unlikely to stick on the roster all year and would have likely been waived at some point, but that doesn't make it less disappointing that he got so little of a chance and instead the team is more interested in Nic Petan and Sheldon Dries (a player they made up who I'm not convinced actually exists.)

And it's just par for the course from this management group who has overpaid to put experienced vets in the bottom-six and ameliorated their coach with his favorite pets from junior since day 1.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it's perfectly reasonable and possible to believe both:

a) that Gadjovich is a longshot as an NHL player

and

b) it's frustrating/disappointing that after years of developing him, the team didn't put him in the best possible chance to succeed after he seemed to have made recent progress.

It is true that he was unlikely to stick on the roster all year and would have likely been waived at some point, but that doesn't make it less disappointing that he got so little of a chance and instead the team is more interested in Nic Petan and Sheldon Dries (a player they made up who I'm not convinced actually exists.)

And it's just par for the course from this management group who has overpaid to put experienced vets in the bottom-six and ameliorated their coach with his favorite pets from junior since day 1.

Absolutely. It's the not finding out what you have that's the issue. Maybe he stinks? But I have no idea. We have so few data points on this player because of injuries/COVID and had a lot invested in him, and we needed to make an effort to figure out what we had. I don't know if we've ever traded/lost a guy before where my reaction has been 'I ... don't know what we just lost?' to this extent.

Even a guy like Kole Lind, we gave him a 7-game run with lots of minutes down the stretch last year. And he was awful, and it was pretty obvious he was absolutely nowhere near an NHL player. And I felt pretty comfortable with losing him in the expansion draft as a result.

And yes. Good teams do not prioritize finding a temporary Megna to replace Tyler Motte for a month over development of young players in their organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad