Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Pearson didn't have a good season. He also had his second worst SH% of his career. Still, Pearson has proven to be a fit alongside Horvat in the past. Only thing Gadjovich has proven is that he's not going to get a lot of rope from Green.

Did you watch him when he was younger?

Yes I watched him with the Kings and he was an okay middle 6 winger. 2 of his last 3 seasons have been garbage, so I would be willing to bet his play is in decline. I don't see many positives to his play when he isn't putting up points other than not being a liability.

Reactions: Nucker101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't see many positives to his play when he isn't putting up points other than not being a liability.

That's exactly it with this player. When he is putting up the points and not being a liability that's a reliable middle 6 winger. If he isn't putting up the points then ya he's going to suck relative to his contract.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The point is to say Pearson is clogging a spot in the top 9 where Gadjovich could replace him and easily outmatch his production, while providing more in terms of grit and physicality.

I don't like Pearson as a hockey player.
Pearson can play on the 4th line and be effective. He’s doing PK, winning board battles, positionally sound. He doesn’t always hold his own on the 2nd line but he’ll surely dominate on 4th line minutes. That’s if Gadjovich has improved his skating to a NHL level. I hope Jonah can play because I think we’ll lose him on waivers.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The point is to say Pearson is clogging a spot in the top 9 where Gadjovich could replace him and easily outmatch his production, while providing more in terms of grit and physicality.

I don't like Pearson as a hockey player.

Pearson will likely see heavier defensive minutes. Those aren't minutes that Gadjovich can play right now.

Certainly agree that an asset at the TDL + Pearson's money spent on a UFA was the better path. But he's not blocking anyone currently in the organization, and is a versatile winger that brings some size to the top 9.

Reactions: F A N

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I hope Gadjo has been doing nothing other than working on his skating this Summer. I think he has the IQ to know what to do, and the strength and the skill do it once he gets there... now if he can just show up just a little bit earlier... force the play rather than react to it... he'll be a big asset.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually kind of relieved the Seattle Kraken picked Kole Lind rather than Gadjovich.

Lind is a skilled winger who was starting to figure it out at the AHL level, but the Canucks have a lot of those already. What they don't have is some truculence up front and an immovable net-front presence.

If Gadjovich can pick up a step, he has far more of what the Canucks need as a depth forward right now.

Reactions: vancityluongo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm actually kind of relieved the Seattle Kraken picked Kole Lind rather than Gadjovich.

Lind is a skilled winger who was starting to figure it out at the AHL level, but the Canucks have a lot of those already. What they don't have is some truculence up front and an immovable net-front presence.

If Gadjovich can pick up a step, he has far more of what the Canucks need as a depth forward right now.

He needs to pick up more than a step. His skating is no where near NHL level. The Sedins and and I’d say Horvat definitely improved their skating so we’ve witnessed such improvements in the organization. However, they came in with below average NHL skating not below average AHL skating.

Gadjovich is also going to be 23…the likelihood to seeing significant improvements to his skating decreases every day at this point.

that said it’s be nice to see those improvements made as he could be a good homegrown, cheap 4th line option moving forward.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Hard call between the two but I would have kept Lind. I admit that's partly because he was the higher draft pick but Lind is the better skater and does naturally play with a bit of sandpaper. With further increases in strength and skating power Lind might be able to tread water in the NHL next season and go from there. He does have better puck skills and playmaking ability IMO. Gadjovich is probably further away.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hard call between the two but I would have kept Lind. I admit that's partly because he was the higher draft pick but Lind is the better skater and does naturally play with a bit of sandpaper. With further increases in strength and skating power Lind might be able to tread water in the NHL next season and go from there. He does have better puck skills and playmaking ability IMO. Gadjovich is probably further away.
Benning does it again. He loses players for no return. Lind, like you say, makes our team out of camp. Now watch Benning try to get ?Gads (and Juiolevi too) through waivers to send them to Abbotsford and they both get claimed. Could have protected Lind and saved an asset. But Benning will end up losing three.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I don't know if Gadjovich will turn out, but it wouldn't surprise me if management were thinking exactly along the same lines you present here.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
I don't know if Gadjovich will turn out, but it wouldn't surprise me if management were thinking exactly along the same lines you present here.

Yupp... losing a tweener that can't crack our top 6....... and keeping a face puncher with sweet hands.... I am glad we kept the Whale.....

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I've watched Gadjovich plenty. There are more issues than just his skating that hold him back. Lind isn't much of a prospect but he's always been ahead of Gadjovich and according to Dhaliwal the Kraken didn't even have Gadjovich under consideration for the expansion draft.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I've watched Gadjovich plenty. There are more issues than just his skating that hold him back. Lind isn't much of a prospect but he's always been ahead of Gadjovich and according to Dhaliwal the Kraken didn't even have Gadjovich under consideration for the expansion draft.

that remains to be seen. lind has a hint of top six or bust to his game. i am not sure he is any closer to being an nhl regular than gadjovic even though his game is arguably better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning does it again. He loses players for no return. Lind, like you say, makes our team out of camp. Now watch Benning try to get ?Gads (and Juiolevi too) through waivers to send them to Abbotsford and they both get claimed. Could have protected Lind and saved an asset. But Benning will end up losing three.

Huh? It's the expansion draft. You have to lose someone for no return. At this point, Lind isn't much of an asset and I won't be surprised if he's available to be picked up on waivers so Benning could get Lind back for nothing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Count me as surprised that the Kraken picked Lind in the expansion draft....I would have thought that guys like Highmore, Holtby, Edler or even Virtanen would have been far more attractive options.

I think the Kraken probably had their heart set on Jason Dickinson, but when the Canucks scooped him up, then protected him and the exposed Lind, Seattle probably picked him up as payback.

As for Gadjovich, there's a lot of 'average' to 'slightly below average' skaters who are thriving in the NHL. If he could ever morph into a Patrick Maroon type, and be a tough matchup in the front to the net, there's a chance he could still make it.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've been guessing it would go this way—Gadjovich on waivers—since the end of last season, when he got in that one game, had a fight, made a mistake, and ended up with just a few minutes of ice time. Either a) something about him pisses Green off, or b) it's the opposite: the organization is high on him, but they didn't feel they could protect him in the expansion draft and also thought he needed more time in the AHL. So they've limited his opportunities in order to make him less appealing to teams that might consider claiming him on waivers.

If he clears waivers, goes to Abbotsford, continues to show well in the AHL but doesn't get a call-up, I'll be guessing it's option a.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've been guessing it would go this way—Gadjovich on waivers—since the end of last season, when he got in that one game, had a fight, made a mistake, and ended up with just a few minutes of ice time. Either a) something about him pisses Green off, or b) it's the opposite: the organization is high on him, but they didn't feel they could protect him in the expansion draft and also thought he needed more time in the AHL. So they've limited his opportunities in order to make him less appealing to teams that might consider claiming him on waivers.

If he clears waivers, goes to Abbotsford, continues to show well in the AHL but doesn't get a call-up, I'll be guessing it's option a.

Travis Green does not like rookies in his bottom-6. Have we ever played one there under him? Virtanen I guess?

That said, they're pretty obviously trying to sneak him through. When Carson Focht plays 2 games after Gadjovich plays his last game, that's pretty suspicious.

Sucks for Gadjovich. 'Hey Jonah, we know you worked really hard this summer to improve your skating to achieve your dream of playing in the NHL, but it's been pre-decided that you have zero chance of making this team. Also, we're not even going to give you minutes in preseason in an attempt to sabotage any other team from noticing you and giving you a chance to achieve your dream. Have fun in Abbotsford! And thanks for being such a good soldier!'

I really, really, really hate non-meritocracies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Travis Green does not like rookies in his bottom-6. Have we ever played one there under him? Virtanen I guess?

That said, they're pretty obviously trying to sneak him through. When Carson Focht plays 2 games after Gadjovich plays his last game, that's pretty suspicious.

Sucks for Gadjovich. 'Hey Jonah, we know you worked really hard this summer to improve your skating to achieve your dream of playing in the NHL, but it's been pre-decided that you have zero chance of making this team. Also, we're not even going to give you minutes in preseason in an attempt to sabotage any other team from noticing you and giving you a chance to achieve your dream. Have fun in Abbotsford! And thanks for being such a good soldier!'

Technically Virtanen wasn't a rookie. But Gaunce and Gaudette were Not a whole lot of choices outside of Goldobin. I do agree that Green is usually tough on rookies.

Gadjovich scored some goals but has he earned a spot? I think they're going to give Justin Bailey a chance to fill that big winger role.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I feel like Gads' has warranted himself more of a look. Hopefully he gets through and continues to be a dominant AHL player. Maybe then he finally gets a real chance later in the season.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Technically Virtanen wasn't a rookie. But Gaunce and Gaudette were Not a whole lot of choices outside of Goldobin. I do agree that Green is usually tough on rookies.

Gadjovich scored some goals but has he earned a spot? I think they're going to give Justin Bailey a chance to fill that big winger role.

He hasn't earned a spot ... because he wasn't given a chance to earn a spot. He played low minutes in two early preseason games and put up 2 points.

In a fair world, he gets put into the same situations as a similar-style player in Chiasson and they battle for that position.

Reactions: ChilliBilly and cc

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
if you’re so worried about losing a guy that you bench him and sneak him through but your alternative would have been to just see if he was better than f***ing nic petan and alex chiasson like i don’t get why they didn’t just play him more lol

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Would hate to lose the guy, I think there is some good untapped potential here...if we do lose him I hope he does well and makes Jimbo look bad.

Same. I think there's some upside there. At the AHL level Gadjovich can probably produce offensively while working on other aspects of his game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No idea if he can actually play in the NHL. However, it was clear he made significant improvements to his mobility in the off season and he looked reasonable in the ice time he got. It drives me nuts when an organization essentially has things set in their minds before camp starts that they don’t seem to allow young risers to, well, rise. Instead he gets scratched and has limited ice time in the games he gets and we get to watch 26+ year old known entities get all sorts of rope.

I know it’ll be “well he can’t kill penalties” or some other non-sense. Of course one needs to be given a chance to prove someone wrong.

Reactions: Bubbles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->