Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gadjovich, albeit slow, is pretty much what everyone looks for in a bottom six player. He has good size at 6'2 209lbs, he plays a physical game and throws hits, he battles along the wall, he has no problem dropping the mitts and sometimes is looking for it. He is a great net front presence at the AHL level, he has a touch for the puck in tight and his shot is strong enough that he buries it close and from further away.

Defensively I'm not sure if he would fare in the NHL, and his skating is the big question mark. That said, his skillset is something we could really use on our team and especially on our PP (maybe even on the top unit, Bo has had luck with the new set play but I'm not convinced with him as a screen). With that, his physicality and willingness to scrap, and his mature approach to the game and how he's been consistently addressing the flaws in his game I think he could have a shot.

He isn't going to be a big impact player, but I would rather have someone like him than Antoine Roussel on our 4th line
says it all.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
tonight?
He is playing with Lockwood and Lind

I can’t speak to if he has played with them all year maybe somebody else could answer that.
But he was the other game I watched last weekend.

That was the result of the Comets only having 3 centers among their total of 11 forwards last night. Lind was only there because it was his turn to play center. Gadjovich and Lockwood are the 2 wings on the checking/energy line.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
His line works hard.

they turned it over from Rochester while they were breaking out. He was still in the zone so he hung around and went to the net

right in the crease for a deflection in.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gadjovich led all Comets with seven shots on goal tonight. Whatever his skating limitations are, you've got to admire what he's accomplishing this season.
Gadjovic is playing smart hockey. Yes, he’s not fast (or even that quick really) but he seems to understand now how he has to play to be effective. We need to commit to some of these younger players, like him, and play them on the big club.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Gadjovic is playing smart hockey. Yes, he’s not fast (or even that quick really) but he seems to understand now how he has to play to be effective. We need to commit to some of these younger players, like him, and play them on the big club.

I saw some fancy stat a few years ago and I believe that Gadjovic's goal scoring output in the OHL per 60 at a specific age was up there with some of the greatest recent OHL players.

So who knows, maybe he will be a new Tim " The Slot Machine" Kerr:

Tim Kerr

Reactions: lindgren and F A N

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yeah we should really be bringing him up post deadline for a handful of games to see where he's at. Need to keep cycling in cheap younger players into the lineup, but one massive problem is that Green refuses to even integrate guys like MacEwan who was the last guy trending upwards quickly who just isn't being developed very well.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah we should really be bringing him up post deadline for a handful of games to see where he's at. Need to keep cycling in cheap younger players into the lineup, but one massive problem is that Green refuses to even integrate guys like MacEwan who was the last guy trending upwards quickly who just isn't being developed very well.

The best hope would be for a complete cleaning house of coaching and management.

Then it would be nice if we could just fling the dreck like Roussel and Beagle into the sun, and just play MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, etc. in the bottom six next season. The reviews on Lind/Jasek from Trent Cull are pretty positive.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The best hope would be for a complete cleaning house of coaching and management.

Then it would be nice if we could just fling the dreck like Roussel and Beagle into the sun, and just play MacEwen, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovich, etc. in the bottom six next season. The reviews on Lind/Jasek from Trent Cull are pretty positive.

Agreed in principle but I really can't see Gadjovich (or Lind) keeping up at this level this season.

Hawryluk actually had a strong game last night. He and MacEwen should be playing 11-13 minutes every single game for the rest of the season to see if those guys are potential cheap bottom-6 answers for the next couple years.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Barring trades, I feel the bottom-6 should consist of some combinations of Bailey & Motte(when healthy), Michaelis, Hawryluk, MacEwen, Beagle, Sutter, and Pearson. Don't care who plays where just mix and match where Sutter is the guy getting the majority of the scratches.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

It is my understanding that Gadjovich has been effective due to getting to the right parts of the ice and zone possession. If that's the case, none of that will translate to a successful career as a 4th line forward UNLESS he can skate well. I am all for giving him a chance, don't get me wrong there, but we've seen quite a few players get left behind due to skating deficiencies over the years. For a guy like Gadjovich, his skating could be an absolute defensive liability.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It is my understanding that Gadjovich has been effective due to getting to the right parts of the ice and zone possession. If that's the case, none of that will translate to a successful career as a 4th line forward UNLESS he can skate well. I am all for giving him a chance, don't get me wrong there, but we've seen quite a few players get left behind due to skating deficiencies over the years. For a guy like Gadjovich, his skating could be an absolute defensive liability.
GADjovic would certainly need to play with speedy line mates.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Next season, I would like to see all of Lind, Jasek, Gads, given a shot.

Jasek is out of contract at the end of this season and I'd be surprised if he is brought back. Or if he wants to come back given that he can make a lot more money in Europe. And there's simply no way he's anything resembling an NHL player.

Lind and Gajovich ... if they improve maybe? But right now both are still noticeably poor skaters against a weakened AHL and there is no way in hell they'd float in the NHL if they were given a look.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
GADjovic would certainly need to play with speedy line mates.

I just wonder if he'd always be behind the play, taking penalties, etc. as the result of his poor skating. I think for him it will all depend on training camp, he needs to come to camp and outperform other skaters. Next year is a PERFECT year for young players to make this team, we don't have a lot of cap space nor do we have a lot of talent in our bottom 6. The year after it will be harder, Gadjovich and Lind really need to target next camp hard.

I hope we try him though, I mean, how many of us though Hoglander would be as good as he is as a rookie? I seem to recall some posters labelling his skating as not one of his strongest attributes either.

Reactions: Luckylarry

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i love that this guy is forcing his way into main roster discussions.

it is a shame this is not a year for ahl guys to get earned cups of coffee.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This guy needs a new nickname....'Man Child' may have had some meaning when he was in junior, but today he's just an average sized power forward.

He seems to opportunistic around the net, but hockey at the NHL level is a 180 foot game. So if speed is an issue at the AHL level, you have to wonder how it will translate to the NHL level. Too bad they couldn't amalgamate the games of Justin Bailey and Gadjovich....then they'd have a player!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This guy needs a new nickname....'Man Child' may have had some meaning when he was in junior, but today he's just an average sized power forward.

He seems to opportunistic around the net, but hockey at the NHL level is a 180 foot game. So if speed is an issue at the AHL level, you have to wonder how it will translate to the NHL level. Too bad they couldn't amalgamate the games of Justin Bailey and Gadjovich....then they'd have a player!
Gaddy boy Vich

Reactions: vanuck

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Without skating, it's going to be hard to crack a NHL roster.

If he commits an entire off season towards making his skating to NHL level, he could be something.

Wait, I said this already last year...

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

If he commits an entire off season towards making his skating to NHL level, he could be something.

He just needs to go to the Bo Horvat School of Skating, the BHSS

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

His skating has improved a bit since last season imo. He'll never be a plus skater at the NHL level, but I don't he has to be to be successful. This season he's been getting in on the forecheck just fine, and hasn't been behind the play like last season (at least in my viewings).

Imo he's back to being a real prospect (instead of a suspect).

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
His skating has improved a bit since last season imo. He'll never be a plus skater at the NHL level, but I don't he has to be to be successful. This season he's been getting in on the forecheck just fine, and hasn't been behind the play like last season (at least in my viewings).

Imo he's back to being a real prospect (instead of a suspect).

While that is true, if he can get even better skating, he can move up the line up, and then it starts getting really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad