Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
With Gaudette gone and protecting Pearson, the team can protect one of Motte, Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind, Gadjovich, and one of the veterans.

It would have been better of Pearson was signed after the expansion draft then it would be even slimmer pickings for Seattle. Might be a good opportunity (if it exists) to trade one of those guys + pick to a team who can't protect one of their good young(ish) Dman.

Yeah the timing of the Pearson extension is questionable.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
With Gaudette gone and protecting Pearson, the team can protect one of Motte, Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind, Gadjovich, and one of the veterans.

It would have been better of Pearson was signed after the expansion draft then it would be even slimmer pickings for Seattle. Might be a good opportunity (if it exists) to trade one of those guys + pick to a team who can't protect one of their good young(ish) Dman.

My guess is that with Pearson they said, "Sign before the trade deadline, otherwise we're dealing you." The forwards that are going to be available to Seattle are anywhere from fringe NHLers to longshot prospects (Gadj); little asset value with any of them so you don't worry about losing one, especially the one you value least. No effect on Canucks' decision to sign or not sign Pearson.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My guess is that with Pearson they said, "Sign before the trade deadline, otherwise we're dealing you." The forwards that are going to be available to Seattle are anywhere from fringe NHLers to longshot prospects (Gadj); little asset value with any of them so you don't worry about losing one, especially the one you value least. No effect on Canucks' decision to sign or not sign Pearson.

That makes complete sense as a hypothetical with most management groups, but I'd be shocked if Benning or anyone with the Canucks took that position with Pearson.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Outrageous imo
upload_2021-4-16_19-42-38.gif

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Gadjovich is in the line-up this afternoon for the Comets, after missing the last game, I believe. I haven't come across any explanation for his absence.

(Baertschi is still not in the line-up. Call-up? Injury? The organization souring on him still further, so he's been banished somewhere?)

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Cautiously optimistic with Gadjo. I know the lower level of AHL play this season has been mentioned, but maybe there’s something there.

Can anyone comment on his skating this season?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Don't have to be burner if you can score around the net and win puck battles.

24 in his last 51 games even for the AHL is pretty impressive. That's a 36 goal pace and it's definitely something we lack (the net presence deflections screens)

I'm in the minority but have always felt Jonah will work his way onto the team at some point. Maybe a Pat Maroon type guy at some point

Canucks prospects tracker: Gadjovich circa 2017, Podkolzin stays put | The Province

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gadjovich continuing his Cy Young season. 12g and 2a in 14 GP.

“Jonah is great on the forecheck, he’s so good at the net front, he’s got great hand-eye,” head coach Trent Cull said after the game.

Could use a guy like that as a bottom 6 winger and as a net front on the pp 2nd unit.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The ray of hope for guys like Gadjovich is that it can often take bigger players a few seasons to morph into NHL players. It just takes longer for them to pick up the step or two they need to graduate to the NHL.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that in junior, bigger, more physical players, can impose their will on junior age players and look more effective than they really are. Then when they hit the pros--where everybody is big and physical--they have to reinvent themselves.

I have no idea whether his skating has improved during his time in Utica....I leave that assessment to Utica watchers who see him every game.

But there's no doubt that having physical players in your bottom-six is essential for success when it comes to building an NHL franchise. You look at the current Canucks' bottom six, it is marked by a lack of size and physicality.

So I eventually see him auditioning for that role with the Canucks.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The ray of hope for guys like Gadjovich is that it can often take bigger players a few seasons to morph into NHL players. It just takes longer for them to pick up the step or two they need to graduate to the NHL.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that in junior, bigger, more physical players, can impose their will on junior age players and look more effective than they really are. Then when they hit the pros--where everybody is big and physical--they have to reinvent themselves.
I agree. Big guys aren't supposed to be chasing down the puck full speed and burning their legs out. They need IQ and stick skills to knock down passes and find the open areas in the offensive zone. His size definitely helps him out in puck battles.

Mark Stone isn't fast and he's super effective in the offensive zone. Jackson Kunz has a similar playing style to Gadjovich and he's tracking well. Maybe the Pearson extension wasn't so urgent.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
we could have waited after our season. There is still like 3 months to try to sign him after the season ends.
I think it's pretty probable that the agent and team had a discussion focused on what was going to happen at the trade deadline. JB probably had some offers that he was going to accept if they didn't get an extention done. Pure speculation but it makes sense in the context of the early signing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Edit: How long has he been in quarantine as of May 9?

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I thought he flew to Winnipeg to join the Canucks there? I was under the impression that he was available for the 2 game set against the Jets.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I thought he flew to Winnipeg to join the Canucks there? I was under the impression that he was available for the 2 game set against the Jets.

I think that's right.

It would be bizarre if he doesn't draw in tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad