Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
7 goals in 7 games

Not bad start.
Prototypical grinder goal, just charges the net takes 2 d-man with him and the rebound went in off him. They call count.

Wow. Who is Gadjovich playing with?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Gadjovich is still only 22.....still a chance he can pick up the extra step he needs to challenge for a spot in the NHL. As we saw last year, he has a nice set of hands in close and and can rip it on his shot.

But regardless, his name will live on in Canuck draft trivia....who was the kid the Canucks drafted with the compensatory second round pick they received from Columbus for signing Torts as their coach? For that reason alone, you hope it works out for him.

also the last compensatory pick for hiring a fired coach, I believe they changed the rule right after

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
At Gadjovich's age Macewan was putting up 52 points in 69 AHL games and Macewan can still barely cut our lineup. Gadjovich needs to produce if he wants a future even as a bottom 6 guy.
The idea behind your point is valid but if there was even a remote meritocracy on this team Macewan would have been on our team full time last year, let alone this year.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Just watching game highlights from this year on theahl.com (is there a better site because they don't even have all the games?). He is too slow. He needs to gain more than a step, he needs a few. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it needs to be his #1 priority in life if he hopes to ever see the NHL.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Do you guys think he can turn into a Patrick Maroon-type player down the road? Big guy with decent shot, but is a below average skater. Maroon is a decent bottom 6 player on 2 cup winning teams, guys like him can definitely provide good value to the team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Do you guys think he can turn into a Patrick Maroon-type player down the road? Big guy with decent shot, but is a below average skater. Maroon is a decent bottom 6 player on 2 cup winning teams, guys like him can definitely provide good value to the team.

It is possible but most likely he doesn't make it to the NHL.

Also Maroon is more of an outlier than the norm.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gadjovich still needs to improve his skating significantly. He looks slow at the AHL level. But he definitely gets to the front of the net and can score.
Lind is being tried at centre. I really like the move. If he develops, he could end up being that 3C at the NHL level. His skating is a notch above Gaudette's and he has some offensive chops. Can he take on the defensive responsibilities? We'll see.

Reactions: Breakers

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Maroon is a lot bigger but in reality Maroon is probably not the player you want Gadjovich to become.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
From my limited games of only two.
I prefer lockwood's versatility right now.

His forecheck is already substantially better than gadjovich.
Gadjovich has been getting chances and finishing and is a bull in close and understands he isnt a finesse player to be scoring from distance, but you see how much lockwood does with his skating and aggressiveness to force turnovers and get those scoring chances.

Reactions: Luckylarry

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Maroon is a lot bigger but in reality Maroon is probably not the player you want Gadjovich to become.
I think I'd be pretty happy if Gadjovich turned out to be a Maroon. That's a solid middle 6 winger who is generally in the positive in terms of driving possession, which is never a bad thing to have.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Gadjovich's skating has taken huge a huge leap in each off-season since he turned pro. He needs to pull that off one or two more times and then you can seriously start thinking of a spot on the roster for him.

Maroon might be asking a lot but I do think he could be an Alex Chiasson type guy. Decent 4th liner + PP weapon.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's nice that Gads is progressing, but a Maroon or a Chiasson outcome are probably absolute best-case scenarios.

And even then, Maroon and Chiasson were high-level AHLers in their rookie pro seasons. We don't even know if Gads is at that level at the AHL yet.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's nice that Gads is progressing, but a Maroon or a Chiasson outcome are probably absolute best-case scenarios.

And even then, Maroon and Chiasson were high-level AHLers in their rookie pro seasons. We don't even know if Gads is at that level at the AHL yet.

I think Maroon is a pipe dream. Maroon at his peak was a legitimate, physical two-way top-6 forward.

Chiasson was better than Gadjovich in his rookie year, but he came out of college and played his rookie season at the same age Gadjovich is now.

And yes, Chiasson is his ultimate upshot. I'm betting Gadjovich never makes the show.

Reactions: Luckylarry

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Like any bottom 6 player he needs to bring something to the table that fills a gap or adds strength. Motte brings speed and PK work, for example., and a try hard work ethic. ...you know, I was going to use another example from the roster but the current bottom 6 make-up has a lot of holes. I'm not sure what Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle bring that is enough to keep them in the line-up on most teams.

What does Gadjovich bring? What is his identity? Is it purely a goal scorer? Does his lack of speed allow him to do that at the NHL level? Is that enough to keep him in the line-up in the bottom 6? Is he an option on the 2nd unit PP as a net front guy?

Lots of questions...

I think he first needs to show he can improve his skating to an adequate level. He doesn't have to be fast. He has to keep up. I haven't watched him enough to know whether his defensive awareness/ability is good. If so, then just improving skating should be enough to give him a legitimate shot because everyone believes he can score.

If he can develop another dimension that fills a gap or adds strength (PK, grit/energy, higher end defensively) then they will have a hard time keeping him out of the line-up.

I think these are big asks but, who knows, he's still youngish.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Why not? At this point I'll be happy if Gadjovich makes the NHL at all. Maroon is a pretty decent bottom 6 player who brings size and toughness with a bit of offense, he was effective for both the Blues and the Lightning in the cup run, seem like a player that most teams will want, no?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Like any bottom 6 player he needs to bring something to the table that fills a gap or adds strength. Motte brings speed and PK work, for example., and a try hard work ethic. ...you know, I was going to use another example from the roster but the current bottom 6 make-up has a lot of holes. I'm not sure what Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle bring that is enough to keep them in the line-up on most teams.

What does Gadjovich bring? What is his identity? Is it purely a goal scorer? Does his lack of speed allow him to do that at the NHL level? Is that enough to keep him in the line-up in the bottom 6? Is he an option on the 2nd unit PP as a net front guy?

Lots of questions...

I think he first needs to show he can improve his skating to an adequate level. He doesn't have to be fast. He has to keep up. I haven't watched him enough to know whether his defensive awareness/ability is good. If so, then just improving skating should be enough to give him a legitimate shot because everyone believes he can score.

If he can develop another dimension that fills a gap or adds strength (PK, grit/energy, higher end defensively) then they will have a hard time keeping him out of the line-up.

Gadjovich, albeit slow, is pretty much what everyone looks for in a bottom six player. He has good size at 6'2 209lbs, he plays a physical game and throws hits, he battles along the wall, he has no problem dropping the mitts and sometimes is looking for it. He is a great net front presence at the AHL level, he has a touch for the puck in tight and his shot is strong enough that he buries it close and from further away.

Defensively I'm not sure if he would fare in the NHL, and his skating is the big question mark. That said, his skillset is something we could really use on our team and especially on our PP (maybe even on the top unit, Bo has had luck with the new set play but I'm not convinced with him as a screen). With that, his physicality and willingness to scrap, and his mature approach to the game and how he's been consistently addressing the flaws in his game I think he could have a shot.

He isn't going to be a big impact player, but I would rather have someone like him than Antoine Roussel on our 4th line

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Gadjovich, albeit slow, is pretty much what everyone looks for in a bottom six player. He has good size at 6'2 209lbs, he plays a physical game and throws hits, he battles along the wall, he has no problem dropping the mitts and sometimes is looking for it. He is a great net front presence at the AHL level, he has a touch for the puck in tight and his shot is strong enough that he buries it close and from further away.

Defensively I'm not sure if he would fare in the NHL, and his skating is the big question mark. That said, his skillset is something we could really use on our team and especially on our PP (maybe even on the top unit, Bo has had luck with the new set play but I'm not convinced with him as a screen). With that, his physicality and willingness to scrap, and his mature approach to the game and how he's been consistently addressing the flaws in his game I think he could have a shot.

He isn't going to be a big impact player, but I would rather have someone like him than Antoine Roussel on our 4th line

Well said. There are lots of NHL role players that are lumbering skaters and effective at their job.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Lots of questions...

This is pretty much bang on.

At this level, Gadjovich is succeeding now as a guy who can hammer in garbage goals next to skilled linemates. But in the NHL, he'll be asked to fill a bottom-6 role. And he can't skate well enough plus doesn't have the motor or defensive ability that you would ever think he could hold his own in that role.

There is no way he could hang with the pace of an NHL game right now. He has a year left on his contract and he'll clear waivers next October, so he'll be back in Utica and can continue trying to improve, but I don't see an NHL player there.

Reactions: iceburg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why not? At this point I'll be happy if Gadjovich makes the NHL at all. Maroon is a pretty decent bottom 6 player who brings size and toughness with a bit of offense, he was effective for both the Blues and the Lightning in the cup run, seem like a player that most teams will want, no?

Well yes. I'll be happy with Gadjovich turning into a player that has some sort of asset value. I'm just saying Maroon outside the playoffs is more of a defensive liability with cement feet. I just don't think Gadjovich can make it if he's trying to be a Maroon type player especially since he is smaller and not capable of playing the same type of physical game.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad