Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
However, they never canceled a game because of it.

Yeah, but two additional players for Tampa were near the centre ice, so that negates Colorado's violation. I get your point, though. No disrespect.
You keep saying this, but this is not how penalties have ever worked in the NHL. Penalties don't "cancel out" and all is forgiven. For example, if a guy punches a guy in the face, and the other guy punches him back... they both get penalties. It doesn't "cancel out". That isn't a thing.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
bet he didn't mention the one he got that shouldn't have counted did he? you know the one that counted for some reason despite Kuemper not having his mask.

If you read the rulebook, it was called 100%. You can't kill immediate scoring chance because his mask came off. Now if puck went to the boards it would have been blown dead.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You keep saying this, but this is not how penalties have ever worked in the NHL. Penalties don't "cancel out" and all is forgiven. For example, if a guy punches a guy in the face, and the other guy punches him back... they both get penalties. It doesn't "cancel out". That isn't a thing.
I'm aware, of course. I'm just saying that's how the game has been called. The penalties shouldn't have cancelled out. Tampa should've had two men in the box, and Colorado one men.

I was a fan of having a Finals game go into additional overtime periods.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Bottom line is that this is an iffy at best call that doesn’t get made a million times a season and they’re certainly not going to call it in one if the most consequential games of the season especially after what they were letting both sides get away with the last third of that game. This whole “controversy” is a waste of oxygen.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The guy's won back-to-back cups and he's really being this petty?

One thing I've learned about Cooper during their streak. Great coach, complete weirdo.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The guy leaving the ice was never involved
Read the rulebook

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022

Doesn't matter, game in the books.

Strange non-call, it wasn't like it was a D-man on the backside. This was the guy that got the breakaway behind the D and scored. If he waits for McKinnon to clear, like he should, no way he gets a step. But, NHL ignored, so a non-issue.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, I've always thought this but some folks see things through blinders. Fans will reach for anything that helps their side. Politics isn't the only realm this takes place in.

To many men is all about if the changing player plays puck or not before teammate gets off ice. Pretty clear violation of to many men last night, but like I've mentioned, bad & good breaks happen. Lightning defenders & Vasy still had shot to stop that play, but Lightning didn't handled bad break, and Colorado took advantage of their oppertunities. Kudos to them for doing so.

Go Lightning!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡
They had 7 players to stop Kadri

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
The refs were letting everything go in the last 30 minutes of the game, so it's no surprise you can find a reason to call the goal back when you analyze the whole sequence. Were both teams benefiting from sloppy changes all game without getting called? Probably.

Reactions: Nihiliste

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The team that has the worst line changes in the league is complaining about too many men? Saw it all series against the Rangers, so they know what they are doing. I'd bet good money that Colorado gets called for too many men on the ice in game 5.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I can't read through all 20 pages.. has it been confirmed that it was too many men that was the issue?

I said this last night kind of half joking, but why doesn't this (INCREDIBLY stupid) rule apply to this goal?

If the ref blows the whistle before he realizes its in the net, the "intent to blow" rule comes into play, even if the puck is very clearly in the net

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Am I missing something? Skates are on the ice, holding the bench is not off the ice. Kadri plays the puck while skates are on the ice.

No, this does not happen a "million times" during the regular season.

It's an obvious missed call.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The guy leaving the ice was never involved
Read the rulebook
Rule 74.1 said:
Players may be changed at any time during the play from the players’ bench provided that the player or players leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’ bench and out of the play before the change is made. Refer also to Rule 71 – Premature Substitution. At the discretion of the on-ice officials, should a substituting player come onto the ice before his teammate is within the five foot (5’) limit of the players’ bench (and therefore clearly causing his team to have too many players on the ice), then a bench minor penalty may be assessed.

Whether they are involved in the play is not the only factor. If Kadri jumps for a change too early that is still a too-many men penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad