Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
All of the stills while Kadri scores the goal don't really show us when the penalty would have occurred.

Is there a replay showing Kadri's change? Was he "in the play" before his guy got off the ice? That's where the penalty was. Not 3-4 seconds later when he scores.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
No, they didn't. But you know that already.

Well, if we're going to use random screenshots from a very fast paced game, yes they did.

There's a legit claim for goalie interference on Tampa's first goal too. The difference between that play and this play is simply who won the game and which coach is known for whining to the officials. Cooper does, Bednar doesn't. Each has their reasons for what they do and don't do. Bad look for Cooper in my opinion with that long dramatic drawn out answer.

Another great game between two very good teams who are clearly both fighting through injuries, as all teams at this stage are. It's unfortunate that so much talk will now be about this but whatever, can't wait for game 5.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

The less I look at this as Cooper is a bitch for not getting everything he wants, and more as a Cooper is pulling the last trick out of his bag to try to motivated his banged up and tired group.... I get it.

This was never about a debatable non-call.

But they've got to go back up into the Altutude, where Colorado isn't f***ing up their ice. Breathe deep and watch the Avs actually being able to skate.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Cooper is a fantastic coach, but he knows he is being a bit smug with not only his comments, but his “I’m not going to talk about it here, just know it shouldn’t have counted” phrasing.

Tampa has a case in the moment MAYBE, but the refs put the whistles away from the 3rd until the end. McD not getting called for that blatant trip on Kadri was a clear make up job.

There was also a play in the third where an avs player corralled the puck near the lightning bench as a two players were looking to change. A Tampa player jumped on early and stood right in the passing lane along the benches. Was he engaged in the play? No. Was he on the ice? Yes. Was the guy who was supposed to change engaged by trying to play the puck carrier? Yes. Did anything get called? No.

Are we really going to start trying to firm up too many men penalties? That’s a can of worms I dont even want to get into

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Sure, they were beaten by the better team but that was a blatant missed call and anyone excusing it doesn't know hockey, period.

There was ONE blatant missed call, the entire game?

Tampa had Hedman and Sergachev back to defend a 1 vs 2 against Kadri (not to mention the best goalie in the world after that) and they let him beat them. That's on them.

Edit - Was McDonagh not Hedman*

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He's such a melodramatic goober. :laugh:

Always seems to be defiant in the face of reality, doesn't he?

Seems like every Tampa loss, he's up there questioning how the mighty Lightning could have possibly been defeated, or why it was some great injustice that they lost.

Even if Colorado wins again tomorrow, I bet he'll reference this "missed call" and insist his team was hard done by, and that's the reason the Avs won.

Couldn't possibly be anything else, like maybe the Avs just flat-out being the better team in this series.

A little humility would go a long way with him.

Reactions: Tobyboy and obZen

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

The less I look at this as Cooper is a bitch for not getting everything he wants, and more as a Cooper is pulling the last trick out of his bag to try to motivated his banged up and tired group.... I get it.

This was never about a debatable non-call.

But they've got to go back up into the Altutude, where Colorado isn't f***ing up their ice. Breathe deep and watch the Avs actually being able to skate.

Reminds me of when they were swept by Columbus and he carried the “I’m not worried until we are down in an elimination game”. He has some personalities in the room, and he tries different tactics to manage that

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There was ONE blatant missed call, the entire game?

Tampa had Hedman and Sergachev back to defend a 1 vs 2 against Kadri (not to mention the best goalie in the world after that) and they let him beat them. That's on them.

No, there wasn't just one missed call.

• Haha
Reactions: rick6668

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
How is this a controversial call? This is ridiculous. You can even see the image where there are 6 COL players on the ice but 7 TB players. Tampa lost, time ot move on to the next agme.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
The team that has the worst line changes in the league is complaining about too many men? Saw it all series against the Rangers, so they know what they are doing. I'd bet good money that Colorado gets called for too many men on the ice in game 5.
I could never be a ref because I'd call Tampa for it the first chance I get in Game 5.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
No, there wasn't just one missed call.

Okay then, so there are missed calls every game on both teams. Funny that it's always the losing team that picks and chooses one of these missed calls to complain about. Especially when Tampa had the same type of cluster of a change and has a guy coming on the ice for a guy that is well away (20 feet?) from the bench as Kuemper is about to play the puck to start the play up the ice.

Tampa Change.jpg

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Whether they are involved in the play is not the only factor. If Kadri jumps for a change too early that is still a too-many men penalty.
The key point is that Kadri, the guy that scored, was the one that jumped early. Look at the play, he scored on a breakaway where he had a step on the defense. Whether or no McKinnon was involved is irrelevant, he was the one leaving the ice, Kadri had to wait. If he waits and comes on legally, does he still get the breakaway and have a step on Sergachov?

All irrelevant because NHL decided to look other way. I agree that the Avs will not only get a too many men on the ice penalty in Game 5, but will be called much closer than Game 4.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
The sick reality is settling into Cooper's skull: the current iteration of the Lightning well may go down as never having won a Cup in a full season. The Covid Cup champs, forever with a couple dozen asterisks next to their Cup wins. :laugh:

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Cooper no worse than most NHL coaches re whining. But I get it. He could hardly say our team sucked in OT.

Just once I would like to see a fan base accept defeat gracefully. Avs deserved to win. Started out sluggish but barreled back.

I don't understand how people enjoy sports with such a constant victim mentality.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
This is the double edged sword of prison rules in tight playoff games. Tamp has benefitted at the expense of others in the past - and last night they were on the wrong end of it.

Happened to NYI, happened to Toronto against Tampa - eventually it's going to happen to them. Not even a karma type thing - it's just bound to happen eventually.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah the more I think about it the more I think this is just another card up his sleeve. Serious "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed" energy in the hopes that the refs gift them a few calls while inspiring the team to fight hard because the game was "stolen" from them.

Not the classiest but it's a move.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You're allowed to jump on the ice if someone is going off for a change. It's only a penalty if he takes too long to get off or gets involved in the play. This is just hurt feelies.
Tbf that's exactly what I saw happen.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I distinctly remember many TBL fans defending that play as "oh, that's just how the puck bounces" and other tripe. Just desert, wouldn't you say?

A team with a player diving more than Louganis at the olympics (kucherov) - amazing how quickly he "recovered" from that 'devastating' Toews "cross-check" only 2 days ago, what a miracle!, another who cries like a 6 year old any time someone comes near him (Hedman), and interferes/stick grabs more than any other team I've seen in over 50 years of watching NHL hockey, well - I just can't find it in my heart to offer much sympathy for Mr. Cooper.

How about this: I'll let a too many-men penalty be considered there IF Cooper agrees to have penalties called on:

- Hedman for hooking the COL player's hands on a 3rd period breakaway
- TBL for the trip on Kadri when he was in the slot about to turn and shoot on goal
- TBL for its interference on almost every forecheck, along with TBL forwards "protecting" Hedman high in the zone so he can get an open look to get the puck through traffic

Anyone think he'd agree? I won't hold my breath.

TBL fans also said this after the Game 6 penalty debacle that led to them getting a near 2 minute 5 on 3 and tied the game to save the series, where a Colton flicked his head back after a stick clipped his jersey on the shoulder:

"All your team had to do was kill off the penalty, calls are missed all the time. Deal with it. Don't blame the refs for you not killing the penalty"

And now they're screaming about how a player stepping onto the bench constitutes a too many men advantage and that this stains the potential Cup win.

Cry me a river.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad