Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Here's the thing. I don't think it should be a situation to challenge as there are too many variables and interpretations involved. One thing I think the NHL should do though, is consult with every NHL team and mandate all the arenas to paint a 5 foot rectangle box in front of the players benches. All NHL arena's don't have the exact same measurements but it still can be done. By having the 5 foot rectangle boxes, refs can make better judgements if a team has too many men on the ice based on what is written in the rulebook. If the line changes are executed within the 5 foot rectangle box, then I think there will be a lot less controversy regarding the too many men on the ice penalty.
Yes, but situations like these aren't common, and, from what I know, Tampa had seven men on the ice, when that happened. I saw the photo somewhere in this thread; I don't think it was photoshopped, though.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Missed call, it happens. Games and series getting broken down to such singular moments only happen because of the failure that surrounds it. Tampa could have made a save there, or done a better job stopping Kadri from getting in, or scored in OT before that or nor get their teeth kicked in during G2. I get it, it sucks as a fan when you're invested, but missed calls - and the game should seek to minimize them as much as possible - only reach folklore status when the team that's on the receiving end fails to execute elsewhere in the game or on the play. Missed calls are inevitable, giving up the game winning goal isn't.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
The issue isn't that there are 6 players on the ice for Colorado or that there are 7 players on the ice for Tampa. That can legally occur within the rules outlined for line changes.

Here is the relevant rule that covers this being allowed. They even mention it is up to the discretion of the officials.

Too Many Men on the Ice - Players may be changed at any time during the play from the players’ bench provided that the player or players leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’ bench and out of the play before the change is made. Refer also to Rule 71 – Premature Substitution. At the discretion of the on-ice officials, should a substituting player come onto the ice before his teammate is within the five foot (5’) limit of the players’ bench (and therefore clearly causing his team to have too many players on the ice), then a bench minor penalty may be assessed.

Here is what is not up to the discretion of the officials:

If in the course of making a substitution, either the player entering the game or the player retiring from the ice surface plays the puck with his stick, skates or hands or who checks or makes any physical contact with an opposing player while either the player entering the game or the retiring player is actually on the ice, then the infraction of “too many men on the ice” will be called.

Kadri was substituting for Mackinnon. He played the puck before Mackinnon was off the ice. That is an objective penalty.
I donno why this is so hard for some people to understand.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Already getting one because Bennington was going to convert his 1-6 career playoff record against the Avalanche into a domination. In for a penny.
Remember that Binnington is the best goalie in the world, he would bring shame to vasi by merely being in the same place as him.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The refs didn’t call a single penalty in the 3rd and OT. I saw a boarding and a tripping for each team that went uncalled. You want them to break out their tape measures for a too many men call? Not gonnna happen.
That is why I'm suggesting a painted rectangle box of 5 feet out, in front of the players benches.

Reactions: Reality Czech

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That is why I'm suggesting a painted rectangle box of 5 feet out, in front of the players benches.

The last thing I want is for this to be another challenge that slows down play even more. Too many men has always had a bit of give to it, usually only getting called when 6 guys are actually playing the puck or the puck ends up near the bench during a change. It’s not really a problem that needs fixing.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020

Case closed, Tampa fought hard and I thought they had the game at plenty of points but there is no asterisk on this win.

To be fair that point doesn't "close" anything at all. How many feet was the retiring player from the bench once Kadri jumped on the ice?

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So you agree it was too many men, good. Because the retiring player was over 5ft from the bench once Kadri stepped onto the ice.
It should have been a delayed penalty against Tampa for having 7 skaters on the ice, in that kind of a situation a team normally pulls their goalie for an extra attacker anyways

Reactions: cedouimet

BackLightningBack

May 12, 2022
Good & bad breaks happen during playoffs. You want to win championships? You take total advantage of breaks when things go your way. Colorado did this... Lightning nation should understand this, we've witnessed both sides of the fence here. Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the other team when they make the plays. Colorado took total advantage of their oppertunities.

Now I understand Cooper's response. The loss is fresh and after watching his players battle through it all. That wasn't how Cooper wanted his players to go down. Cooper is a great coach and he'll explain himself after this tough loss settles.

Go Lightning!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This guy is an emotional vampire. I cannot believe the degree to which he is thrashing when confronted with his first SC loss. To act like this is the singular event on which the sanctity of the game hinges is nutso when his team made the finals on a blatant goalie interference right before overtime just because it was more expedient to let it stand and have Tampa skate to the final.

Attachments

• 479782460.jpg.0.jpg
    479782460.jpg.0.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 9

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
The refs didn’t call a single penalty in the 3rd and OT. I saw a boarding and a tripping for each team that went uncalled. You want them to break out their tape measures for a too many men call? Not gonnna happen.
Tape measure? More like a yard stick on that one. Kadri was on the ice a week before the other guy came off
Sure Avs player wasn't anywhere near the play, but Kadri wouldn't of been any were near the open ice on a proper change either

But again won't be any crying from fans on Tampa behalf given the windfall Tampa has had in there favor

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't really understand why this thread is still going. The NHL has basically said that yeah, the refs missed a call. Tough shit. That happens, and has happened multiple times during these playoffs as well. As far as a missed called in a playoff game goes, that's not even up there as some of the worst because it really had no impact on the actual play unlike say the hand pass in the 2019 series between the Stars and the Blues.
That's your interpretation... The league didn't say the refs missed a call.

Reactions: Nihiliste and banks

BackLightningBack

May 12, 2022
Using still image frames to determine too many men on the ice is stupid.
Yeah, I've always thought this but some folks see things through blinders. Fans will reach for anything that helps their side. Politics isn't the only realm this takes place in.

To many men is all about if the changing player plays puck or not before teammate gets off ice. Pretty clear violation of to many men last night, but like I've mentioned, bad & good breaks happen. Lightning defenders & Vasy still had shot to stop that play, but Lightning didn't handled bad break, and Colorado took advantage of their oppertunities. Kudos to them for doing so.

Go Lightning!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad