Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Well I think Tampa's COVID cups shouldn't count but they still do
Terrible comparison.

Idiots who complain about a COVID cup have no basis for their argument. It does not follow any sort of logical sense. All teams played in the same context, everyone had the same shot. Some people just love to diminish others’ successes because it makes them feel better about their own failures or their team’s failures.

Meanwhile, Cooper has a pretty good point, with proof and the NHL rules backing him up. It was funny to see the biased posters in this thread linking the same frozen images taken at just the right time to validate their bias-fueled opinions. And don’t even talk about the uppity Islanders fans who thought whataboutisms were a good argument against Cooper. One wrong does not justify another wrong.

The Bolts got shafted, but now it’s too late to change the result. Tampa will have to beat the Avs three times in a row.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Unfortunately Kadris goal shouldn't count, it was clearly an illegal change. Obviously it sucks more when the player benefitting from it is the guy who scores the OT winner in a crucial Stanley Cup final.

Cooper's reaction is fully understandable, I think this was the only way he could handle it without getting into trouble. He is a coach he truly cares for his team, which is why the guys still love playing for him even after ten years.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
There were six Avs players on the ice when it was scored
And seven Tampa. I think we can stop whining or make line changes only at breaks.
Or go with rules like they are?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655967670144.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655967670144.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 5

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Unfortunately Kadris goal shouldn't count, it was clearly an illegal change. Obviously it sucks more when the player benefitting from it is the guy who scores the OT winner in a crucial Stanley Cup final.

Cooper's reaction is fully understandable, I think this was the only way he could handle it without getting into trouble. He is a coach he truly cares for his team, which is why the guys still love playing for him even after ten years.
As a napkin and salt salesman i am very keen to have a moment of your attention :)

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I wonder what happens when a goalies mask gets knocked off immediately and the next moment the opposing player shoots the puck, it hits the goalie off the head and goes in the goal. Will that still count? The whole point of the whistle being blown is the safety of the goalie not wearing a mask. Kuemper's mask immediately got knocked off. When the Bolts player was about to shoot, that means he has possession of the puck and the whistle should have been blown.

The bolts player had control of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. Which there obviously was.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

That´s why interviews or pressers after such games are so often uncomfortable and akward. I mean, your team just lost a very important game in OT, in a cup final, and is down 3-1 and facing elimination on friday. Of course your are devastated and full with emotions.

I don´t deny him having a "point" on that OT-Goal. No problem with that. Than say it and take the possible "fine". I think he can afford it.

BUT man, this presser is really akward Jon. Talking about the "greatest league" in the world, his love of the sport, other coaches and teams, the cap (what did he mean with that, btw?) and giving a 2-minute-monolog almost in tears and hinting a "conspiracy" against Tampa to not winning the cup again (and yes, between the lines thats what he said or implied in my opinion) is no good look. Sometimes its better to stay away.

I have much respect for Cooper. He is one of the best coaches in the NHL today, and has been for years. His achievements with this Tampa-Team are undisputed. But this presser.....Even full with emotions, anger, disappointment...Yikes. It sounds like someone shot his dog.

Complaining about a call or something that didn´t go your way in such manner, when your own team got away with some plenty stuff and calls to your favor in the past doesn´t make a good impression (be it Cooper or any other coach, just to be clear). Hell we can also debate about Cirellis Goal when he clearly took of Kuemper´s mask... Toronto-Fans bringing up the phantom calls which gave his team an advantage, the Islanders who suffered the same goal like Kadri´s tonight against Tampa, or his GM "playing the cap".......That´s a neverending story.

If he really wants to spend time on this on Thursday, so be it. I mean, this presser must somehow feel strange for his own team cause he temporarily sounds like a speaker at a funeral.

Last edited:
Reactions: DryIslandBartender

Nov 1, 2011
Don't really have a dog in this fight, but having an extra player on while in possession is obviously a lot more meaningful than having extra guys on behind the play without possession.

Guys counting Tampa guys and claiming two wrongs make a right are being pretty silly.

Reactions: eviohh26 and Chips

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Terrible comparison.

Idiots who complain about a COVID cup have no basis for their argument. It does not follow any sort of logical sense. All teams played in the same context, everyone had the same shot. Some people just love to diminish others’ successes because it makes them feel better about their own failures or their team’s failures.

Meanwhile, Cooper has a pretty good point, with proof and the NHL rules backing him up. It was funny to see the biased posters in this thread linking the same frozen images taken at just the right time to validate their bias-fueled opinions. And don’t even talk about the uppity Islanders fans who thought whataboutisms were a good argument against Cooper. One wrong does not justify another wrong.

The Bolts got shafted, but now it’s too late to change the result. Tampa will have to beat the Avs three times in a row.
The game is called by humans who are not perfect. They miss calls. Happens every game. Sometimes you benefit from the miss, sometimes not. Most hockey fans accept that.

As missed-calls go, this was minor, in that the puck didn't hit the player leaving the ice, which is usually considered a bigger deal than what we have here.

The fact that the miss did not call back a pivotal game-winning goal in the SC finals is irrelevant. Calls are missed, and this was not a big deal miss.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Don't really have a dog in this fight, but having an extra player on while in possession is obviously a lot more meaningful than having extra guys on behind the play without possession.

Guys counting Tampa guys and claiming two wrongs make a right are being pretty silly.
The Avs player leaving the ice was nowhere near the play.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
tampa coaching staff and fans making a big deal out of something thats just "playoff hockey". shocking no one at all

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Calls are missed every game. Some penalties impact play, some do not. This did not. The player leaving the ice was nowhere near the play.

Yes, technically it should've been called, but then so should have the trip of the Avs player in OT as he was closing in on Vasi in the offensive zone. Had he not had his feet taken out from under him, he could've scored. Had the penalty been called, the Avs could've scored on the PP. Hell, half their goals were being scored on the PP.

See how that works?

Reactions: banks

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
There were six Avs players on the ice when it was scored
Minor miss. That player leaving the ice was nowhere near the puck. We could certainly go back and tally the missed penalties throughout the game and decide who should've won, because an Avs player had his feet taken out by a Tampa stick as he was closing in on Vasi in OT, but no call! An in case people hadn't noticed, the Avs have scored half their goals on the PP, so that may have been the win right there....I mean, had it been called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->