Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
So you would just ignore the fact that Tampa had more men on the ice when Kadri scored than Colorado?

Given how often it seems to happen in the playoffs, I would have been surprised if anybody had been whistled for a penalty on that play.
I think the Avs 6th man (Kadri) violating the rule more directly, as he came on too early and touched too early relative to where the ‘5th’ man was, is more important than the Bolts slow changers who weren’t playing the puck and had no real way of affecting that sequence.

That said I think it was miscommunication by the Avs over who was changing, and eagerness, rather than sneakiness; and from the officials perspective I can see how that whole sequence might have been a confusing cluster f*** they genuinely missed on a quick rush chance.

It’s probably a situation that should be clarified within the rules and reviewable, as it won’t happen often enough to bring constant challenges (it would be infrequent) but it can happen such that it does screw a team as it did here.

In the grand scheme this wasn’t the only problem Tampa had to worry about or needs to correct, but I can see why they have a problem with it given the importance of the moment. But at the same time I’m not saying Avs fans should feel less about the win, the application of rules isn’t perfect and teams do win on situations like this sometimes. Just is what it is.

Reactions: Meuracas

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
There were six Avs players on the ice when it was scored
20220623_003008.jpg

Maybe the 7 Tampa players should've defended it better

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean your coach wasn’t much better in defeat it is what it is.

Bednar's comment about the officials giving Tampa a lot of time to decide whether to challenge or not might be the most he's criticized the officials in his entire six years with the Avs.

He actually takes a lot of heat about not complaining and trying to work the refs more. He gives them excuses all the time.

Reactions: obZen and katfude

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If you wave that off, every goaltender in the league is going to start wearing their masks as loose as possible.

I hated it as an Avalanche fan (and as a goaltender) but it is what it is.
I wonder what happens when a goalies mask gets knocked off immediately and the next moment the opposing player shoots the puck, it hits the goalie off the head and goes in the goal. Will that still count? The whole point of the whistle being blown is the safety of the goalie not wearing a mask. Kuemper's mask immediately got knocked off. When the Bolts player was about to shoot, that means he has possession of the puck and the whistle should have been blown.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00