Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
They didn't have possession of the puck though. That's the difference.
And the Avs got called earlier in true series on a too many men without possession. In fact it was a delayed call with Tampa having the puck an additional 30 seconds. Possession isn’t what makes it too many men.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
There’s a view from the benches that looks like Kadri jumped on the ice real early. Almost as if he thought he was changing for the first guy coming to the bench.
Either way, I have no horse in this race but am rooting for the Avs.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
:laugh: *when hate becomes delusion* (or did I misread a joke? Please?)

Ever hear of coping? Maybe Cooper is a genuinely emotional, invested man (seriously, listen to his big-picture interviews, and watch any of this or the last two years behind the scenes playoff shows.. whether he’s happy or sad, he’s just that kind of guy.) and was genuinely emotional and hadn’t accepted the loss yet. Yea gamesmanship happens too, but not on some grand mastermind level you’re making it out to be.
Making it out to be? Um... I asked if someone could explain what he was talking about because I have no idea what he was driving at. Cap space?

Some grand mastermind level...? I can't even frame what you are talking about. Am even more confused. And I find it unfair to extrapolate whatever, well... I have no idea what you are talking about? He made the statement. I am just asking.

So will just repeat it... what is Cooper talking about when he says 'cap space' in regards to the GWG by the Avs?

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Would you have rather the game be decided by special teams? This game wouldn't have made it to OT with all the non-calls that went on in the 3rd.

I'd rather see the rules get enforced and have players most likely play cleaner and have the game play out/decided within that framework, whether it's 5v5 or special teams, than have a game end on a missed penalty or because one team was able to skirt the rules better than the other when refs randomly decide to stuff their whistles up their ass.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Seems he's correct, it was a missed too many men against the Avalanche (it looks like the Tampa players got into the minimum proximity for the line chamge based on where the two guys coming are were, while whoever came on for Mack wasnt anywhere close) but 1) fussing over a single missed call in a >60 minute hockey game is silly and 2) its a bit rich coming from the lightning coach to complain about missed tmm penalties leading to decisive goals.

Reactions: Tryamw

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Seems he's correct, it was a missed too many men against the Avalanche (it looks like the Tampa players got into the minimum proximity for the line chamge based on where the two guys coming are were, while whoever came on for Mack wasnt anywhere close) but 1) fussing over a single missed call in a >60 minute hockey game is silly and 2) its a bit rich coming from the lightning coach to complain about missed tmm penalties leading to decisive goals.
The only reason I think this is more valid is that Kadri was the sixth man.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Making it out to be? Um... I asked if someone could explain what he was talking about because I have no idea what he was driving at. Cap space?

Some grand mastermind level...? I can't even frame what you are talking about. Am even more confused. And I find it unfair to extrapolate whatever, well... I have no idea what you are talking about? He made the statement. I am just asking.

So will just repeat it... what is Cooper talking about when he says 'cap space' in regards to the GWG by the Avs?
Ah, your post came so late in the thread… he saw an arguable missed too many men (his team having been called for that penalty a lot this postseason) which I’m seeing tv and writers agree with, so there’s an argument at least.

Shit gets missed tho, but a coach so close to making history with his guys is hitting the copium hard understandably, *and no different than basically 99% of the fans criticizing him have have done themselves, and will do again.

Lots of Internet tough guys in this thread who have never and will never accomplished what he has, or come close to accomplishing what he and his team are/were close to (three straight), and can’t understand the let down.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Even though they had more players on the ice than Colorado?

The difference being Tampa players literally just got on and where nowhere near the play. MacKinnon and Kadri were on the ice for 4 seconds together and he had basically already scored before MacKinnon was off.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Even though they had more players on the ice than Colorado?
they can literally have 11 players on the ice and not take a too many men penalty. For the officials to call too many men the offending team usually has to gain some sort of advantage. I doubt the Bolts gained any advantage, and even if they did, it would be a delayed penalty that would have been wiped out by the goal anyways. For all intensive purposes we can say that the Bolts had a delayed penalty for too many men.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
The difference being Tampa players literally just got on and where nowhere near the play. MacKinnon and Kadri were on the ice for 4 seconds together and he had basically already scored before MacKinnon was off.
Doesn’t matter. Colorado was called for too many men earlier in the series in the exact same way. No player interference, away from the play. At best, it should have been blown dead, too many men calls for both and go 4v4

Yes, they had more players changing behind the play legally whereas Colorado had more players in the play illegally, including their sixth man playing the puck and scoring a goal.
You can still have too many men penalty and not play the puck.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

Focusing on a missed call that should have been a PP instead of an opponent GWG in sudden death OT = fussing :laugh:

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The five foot rule only applies if Kadri/Mac don't play the puck.
Ok but how can you apply a 5 foot rule if you don't know where 5 feet is? I keep reading we need to be strict to the rulebook.

You think the NHL would ever admit to making a mistake? Lol

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Doesn’t matter. Colorado was called for too many men earlier in the series in the exact same way. No player interference, away from the play. At best, it should have been blown dead, too many men calls for both and go 4v4

You can still have too many men penalty and not play the puck.
Except the Tampa players clearly made a legal change while the avalanche clearly didn’t. Simply being on the ice mid change is not a too many men penalty.

Reactions: YayHockeysBack

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Ah, your post came so late in the thread… he saw an arguable missed too many men (his team having been called for that penalty a lot this postseason) which I’m seeing tv and writers agree with, so there’s an argument at least.

Shit gets missed tho, but a coach so close to making history with his guys is hitting the copium hard understandably, *and no different than basically 99% of the fans criticizing him have have done themselves, and will do again.

Lots of Internet tough guys in this thread who have never and will never accomplished what he has, or come close to accomplishing what he and his team are/were close to (three straight), and can’t understand the let down.
Tx for the reply. As said in another response... I was confused why 'cap space' came up in a post game presser.

Fwiw, I am a big bolts fan. Goalies are my thing and Vasi is like as top shelf as it gets. And what Cooper has done is like... top shelf.

Being in Colorado and with deeper associations (understatement) to the Avs, well... there's that. But 100% appreciate good play I don't care what planet one is from. Am just trying to sort out what have heard in the past, and we know how iffy that can be, with what was spoken this eve.

And FWIW, am all about the goalies as said. And if there is any comparisons, Vasi is light years above Kuemper with whom I feel gut shot every time he takes the ice.

Anywayz, appreciate the response.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty clear the goal shouldn’t have counted and Tampa should have been on the power play.
So you would just ignore the fact that Tampa had more men on the ice when Kadri scored than Colorado?

Given how often it seems to happen in the playoffs, I would have been surprised if anybody had been whistled for a penalty on that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad