Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Yeah but none of them gained position to make the game winning shot.

Tampa has a grievance. It won't result in anything but a lose. But they definitely have the right to feel cheated. I felt that way about Landeskog jumping over boards against San Jose.
If that’s the case then call both teams. 4 on 4. We got called earlier in the series for a too many men without having the puck. Very similar to what Tampa did just now.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Colorado was called for too many men earlier in the series without touching the puck. It was a delayed call because we had too many men while the other team had the puck. Might want to learn the whole rule.
See "impacting the play". Also the rule clearly states the refs have discretion on calling it. Not really interested in going back and forth about this, have a nice night.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I've dissected every angle. I'm convinced that Kadri is supposed to be changing for Nichushkin. Nichushkin is exiting the zone in the direction of the bench. Kadri is anxious to jump on because he sees the transition opportunity so he goes a little early (if Nichushkin proceeds to the bench). At the same time, NIchushkin turns away from the bench because he also sees the transition happening. Then Mackinnon skates to the bench. So it appears like Kadri jumped on way way way early for Mackinnon but I don't think the intention was even to change for Mackinnon.

Id agree with this. Looks like he thought Nichushkin was changing and jumped on but then Mackinnon came off instead. Still too many men

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
If that’s the case then call both teams. 4 on 4. We got called earlier in the series for a too many men without having the puck. Very similar to what Tampa did just now.
We got called before playing the puck before because the bad change led to a clear advantage. This one wasn't as clear so we got away with it.

All I am saying is it sucks to be on Tampa's side of it. It happens. But it sucks.

Reactions: Sir

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
See "impacting the play". Also the rule clearly states the refs have discretion on calling it. Not really interested in going back and forth about this, have a nice night.
The earlier one in the series didn’t impact the play either. Don’t recall Tampa having a problem then.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I can't speak for other teams, but the Lightning have been called for like 5 Too Many Men penalties so far this postseason.

Let's not act like there's suddenly zero precedent for making this call.

The reality is the refs simply missed it or refused to call anything at a certain point of the game. Neither is acceptable.
There's plenty more precedent for this NOT being called than there is for it getting called, and I know, because the Avs have taken a NUMBER of TMM this season and and very important times in the playoffs. Zero sympathy.

Again, you want this called, sure, but the league has to set a tone and enforce it consistently.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
We got called before playing the puck before because the bad change led to a clear advantage. This one wasn't as clear so we got away with it.

All I am saying is it sucks to be on Tampa's side of it. It happens. But it sucks.

It's definitely a factor in winning a Cup. You have to get some breaks/luck in addition to playing well.

We've had our fair share of shit going our way in the past.

But it definitely still stings to go from a possible OT PP that could change momentum/even the series when we've been getting handled to giving up the GWG and going down 3-1 in the series.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Yes they have discretion, but Kadri was at least 55 feet away from the bench when he played the puck with Mackinnon on the ice, at that point if you didn't call it you missed it, its not discretion. I can see how they could miss this, the puck turns around pretty quickly. It goes from a situation where they will allow a lazy change all season long to a 1 on 1 game winning goal pretty quickly.

Its a clear advantage, it may have gotten muddied up with the puck being at the other end, and it probably wasn't clear at the time. But they did clearly get a pretty substantial advantage.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
There's plenty more precedent for this NOT being called than there is for it getting called, and I know, because the Avs have taken a NUMBER of TMM this season and and very important times in the playoffs. Zero sympathy.

Again, you want this called, sure, but the league has to set a tone and enforce it consistently.

All the league has to do is call shit by the book all the time instead of deciding at some arbitrary point in a game that only a decapitation is a penalty.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
It's definitely a factor in winning a Cup. You have to get some breaks/luck in addition to playing well.

We've had our fair share of shit going our way in the past.

But it definitely still stings to go from a possible OT PP that could change momentum/even the series when we've been getting handled to giving up the GWG and going down 3-1 in the series.
Every play is so important. It is impossible to not have crazy moments like that.

It doesn't mean Tampa is any less of a team, or the refs want the Avs to win. Just crazy shit.

What a series.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
All the league has to do is call shit by the book all the time instead of deciding at some arbitrary point in a game that only a decapitation is a penalty.
Again I ask, does this mean they have to put 5' line indicators at the benches?

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Oh I 100% agree. I don't like that things suddenly become not penalties because of the playoffs, or game management.

But every team in the league makes these changes constantly and they rarely get called. Is that right? Doesn't matter. It's just not enforced very often at all.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Yes they have discretion, but Kadri was at least 55 feet away from the bench when he played the puck with Mackinnon on the ice, at that point if you didn't call it you missed it, its not discretion. I can see how they could miss this, the puck turns around pretty quickly. It goes from a situation where they will allow a lazy change all season long to a 1 on 1 game winning goal pretty quickly.

Its a clear advantage, it may have gotten muddied up with the puck being at the other end, and it probably wasn't clear at the time. But they did clearly get a pretty substantial advantage.
Right. It was an advantage that led to the game winner.

But it wasn't "clear" because it was missed. It was sneaky and lucky.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Seriously gents and ladies, and 'other'....

Go track this from A to Zed, like follow his initial presser. He first presents a morose affect (good words, look them up if...). Like presents a shocked and wants the world to be shocked with him... posture.

So we are immediately supposed to be drawn into his shocked-ed-ness. Lots of dramatic, tempestuous pauses. Then meanders around some half sentences, half phrases, and eventually lands on, brace yourselves.... cap space. I am not kidding. I'd explain it if I could. But best just visit on that couple of minutes of... you have got to be kidding me sheit.

I mean, it's one thing to be down about a loss. It's another to go down into a depressed rabbit hole.

But, cap space had an impact on the Avs winning goal when you had more men on the ice than the Avs?

I've seen some wrenching loser speechifying before. But seriously have never seen so many connected dots that masterfully and successfully unravel a career than this. That is unless one counts Trump's endless big lie which I trust will get me kicked out of this area for awhile. No politics I know.

But that is how cluster fvcky Cooper's entire post game was. Not the least of which was spinning his version up, then walking out before his punch line. It is one of the more dismal, depressing post game wraps in any sport, ever.

Hopefully for them, his people will be able to spin this away from the players because good lord... no way would I want any player, ever, to own that spiel from a coach.

That was as messy as it gets. Cap space? Seriously Copper? Seriously?

Note to Avalanche media... pose this as much as you can to any Cooper Q&A. Make him 'splain his logic.
:laugh: *when hate becomes delusion* (or did I misread a joke? Please?)

Ever hear of coping? Maybe Cooper is a genuinely emotional, invested man (seriously, listen to his big-picture interviews, and watch any of this or the last two years behind the scenes playoff shows.. whether he’s happy or sad, he’s just that kind of guy.) and was genuinely emotional and hadn’t accepted the loss yet. Yea gamesmanship happens too, but not on some grand mastermind level you’re making it out to be.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I can't speak for other teams, but the Lightning have been called for like 5 Too Many Men penalties so far this postseason.

Let's not act like there's suddenly zero precedent for making this call.

The reality is the refs simply missed it or refused to call anything at a certain point of the game. Neither is acceptable.

Would you have rather the game be decided by special teams? This game wouldn't have made it to OT with all the non-calls that went on in the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad