Jon Cooper says Kadri goal shouldn’t have counted, but wouldn’t say why

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Maybe Cooper can take his broken heart home to petition the league to give last year’s cup to the isles since they lost on a similar play
The Isles 'lost' the cup on that play? That was the cup-deciding play?

I know my memory isn't what it once was but...

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Nothing embarrassing about making it to a 3rd straight final. (still playing btw)

Now if you want embarrassment look no further than the leafs. I'd have figured you'd be familiar with that feeling by now.
I'd rather play the right way with ones dignity intact and lose. I can't say the same for TB.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Seems like a pretty egregious missed call, but thems the breaks. Not like there weren't another dozen egregious missed calls earlier in the game. Pretty poorly reffed game overall IMO. Surprising considering this is supposed to be the best refs still skating at this point in the season...

Reactions: Tryamw

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I thought I couldn't think of a worse rule than offsides review but too many men on the ice review would be even worse.
Players are gonna wear shock collars. If there are more than 5 skaters (not including goalies) on the ice for more than 5 sec then they all get a shock. ez pz.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Mackinnon is not in the Ozone. If he was Cooper could challenge.

The gate that MacKinnon went of the ice with is in the attacking zone, and Kadri was in the attacking zone. Id argue that it could be challenged under 38.2 b
(b) Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone Leading to a Goal – A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of any play occurring in the offensive zone that should have resulted in a play stoppage caused by the attacking team but did not

Although all challenges in the last min of the 3rd and in OT are initiated by the league.

38.3 League Initiated Challenge – In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), the NHL Situation Room will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge. The NHL Situation Room will continue to be responsible for the review of all goals subject to Video Review under Rule 37. Where a Coach’s Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving “Off-Side,” a “Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone” or “Interference on the Goalkeeper,” Hockey Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net legally before the play will be subject to further review by means of a Coach’s Challenge (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review initiated by Hockey Operations).

So the league should have initiated a review in my opinion.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Seems like a pretty egregious missed call, but thems the breaks. Not like there weren't another dozen egregious missed calls earlier in the game. Pretty poorly reffed game overall IMO. Surprising considering this is supposed to be the best refs still skating at this point in the season...
Considering no one complained about it during the play at full speed, a screenshot 20 minutes after the game ended isn’t exactly egregious.

Reactions: MD93

hockeyfanplayer

Dec 14, 2021
Maybe Cooper can take his broken heart home to petition the league to give last year’s cup to the isles since they lost on a similar play
I distinctly remember many TBL fans defending that play as "oh, that's just how the puck bounces" and other tripe. Just desert, wouldn't you say?

A team with a player diving more than Louganis at the olympics (kucherov) - amazing how quickly he "recovered" from that 'devastating' Toews "cross-check" only 2 days ago, what a miracle!, another who cries like a 6 year old any time someone comes near him (Hedman), and interferes/stick grabs more than any other team I've seen in over 50 years of watching NHL hockey, well - I just can't find it in my heart to offer much sympathy for Mr. Cooper.

How about this: I'll let a too many-men penalty be considered there IF Cooper agrees to have penalties called on:

- Hedman for hooking the COL player's hands on a 3rd period breakaway
- TBL for the trip on Kadri when he was in the slot about to turn and shoot on goal
- TBL for its interference on almost every forecheck, along with TBL forwards "protecting" Hedman high in the zone so he can get an open look to get the puck through traffic

Anyone think he'd agree? I won't hold my breath.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'd be more surprised if he didn't have a whiney comment after losing a game.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The refs put their whistles away midway through the 2nd period. They were basically there to blow plays dead and start faceoffs.

Barring someone getting a limb ripped off, they weren’t calling anything.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Seriously gents and ladies, and 'other'....

Go track this from A to Zed, like follow his initial presser. He first presents a morose affect (good words, look them up if...). Like presents a shocked and wants the world to be shocked with him... posture.

So we are immediately supposed to be drawn into his shocked-ed-ness. Lots of dramatic, tempestuous pauses. Then meanders around some half sentences, half phrases, and eventually lands on, brace yourselves.... cap space. I am not kidding. I'd explain it if I could. But best just visit on that couple of minutes of... you have got to be kidding me sheit.

I mean, it's one thing to be down about a loss. It's another to go down into a depressed rabbit hole.

But, cap space had an impact on the Avs winning goal when you had more men on the ice than the Avs?

I've seen some wrenching loser speechifying before. But seriously have never seen so many connected dots that masterfully and successfully unravel a career than this. That is unless one counts Trump's endless big lie which I trust will get me kicked out of this area for awhile. No politics I know.

But that is how cluster fvcky Cooper's entire post game was. Not the least of which was spinning his version up, then walking out before his punch line. It is one of the more dismal, depressing post game wraps in any sport, ever.

Hopefully for them, his people will be able to spin this away from the players because good lord... no way would I want any player, ever, to own that spiel from a coach.

That was as messy as it gets. Cap space? Seriously Copper? Seriously?

Note to Avalanche media... pose this as much as you can to any Cooper Q&A. Make him 'splain his logic.

Reactions: Phil Raitt

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Maybe the refs missed it because they were too wrapped up watching the absolute clinic the Avalanche were putting on throughout the entire OT.

Cooper’s comment is hilarious in its righteous certainty given how many times non-calls like this happen in every single game.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
1. Emotional coach got his hopes up with one of the most competitive groups of guys in the game for a dynasty just lost. It’s similar to coaches who see a hit with a bad result almost always say it’s dirty after the game regardless, which

2. Coach is gonna gamesmanship. Definitely a poor attempt at it because #1 and he was upset, but whatever. Kinda amusing, kinda nothing at the same time. People just like to hate on the Bolts

Cooper is one of my favorite coaches I’ve seen in the game as a fan of another team. They way he talks in interviews, and how he is on those behind the scenes shows, just how he is, seems like a guy who oozes enthusiasm and faith in himself and bleeds for his team.
Can understand how they really believed they were gonna do it a third time and they got hit hard by a reality check just now that the odds are seriously stacked against them. The Avs deserved this one, but remember that last second in the period chance like they got game 2 against the Panthers, and a fortunate bounce for an Avs goal (happens with all winners) they were so close to tying the series too.

Idk I love both teams as a neutral fan. I was hoping for 7 games; I mostly followed the Avs as my second team this year and I’ll be happy when the Avs get their deserved cup, but if any other west team makes it and I think the Bolts have a more serious chance. Nothing but respect for Bolts and I was kinda rooting for the three peat, I’ll be amazed if they come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad