Jokerit Helsinki 2014/2015 season talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Jokerit have lost all their top prospects from '95-97 groups this off season except for Saari, Salminen and Sneck.

Kiviranta, Keskitalo, Mäkinen brothers, Turunen, Teräväinen, Lindell, Lindbohm, Ojantakainen, Palmu and Lankinen all gone.

At least younger guys like Juolevi, Somppi, Nyman and Moilanen still stay.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
That's the downside in this KHL move and expected but what can you do if the juniors feel it's better to make Liiga teams etc from other teams.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit have lost all their top prospects from '95-97 groups this off season except for Saari, Salminen and Sneck.

Kiviranta, Keskitalo, Mäkinen brothers, Turunen, Teräväinen, Lindell, Lindbohm, Ojantakainen, Palmu and Lankinen all gone.

At least younger guys like Juolevi, Somppi, Nyman and Moilanen still stay.

Considering Martikainen is still the headcoach, they might have been better off moving as well.

Last edited:

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Haven't been following this at all for the last couple of months, but how's it starting to shape up? Are the fans accepting it? Will they support the team next season (even though they "sold their soul" so to speak)?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Haven't been following this at all for the last couple of months, but how's it starting to shape up? Are the fans accepting it? Will they support the team next season (even though they "sold their soul" so to speak)?
Most of the fans seems to be ok with it and by fans I mean everybody not just the fan section. Though nobody knows how the fan section will look like next year. The first shock is over and now most important thing is that they could make competitive team.

Many can't wait for next signing news and would like to see some top level signings. Hopefully after the Worlds.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Most of the fans seems to be ok with it and by fans I mean everybody not just the fan section. Though nobody knows how the fan section will look like next year. The first shock is over and now most important thing is that they could make competitive team.

Many can't wait for next news and would like to see some top level signings.

My impression from Jatkoaika is that most of the fans have remained as fans of Jokerit and more and more of them have lately become more positive about the KHL.

Many of them seem to think that "Liiga on nähty" (fans have lost interest in Liiga) and they want to try something new. Many of the fans also appreciate the fact that now they get to see better players and better quality hockey than before.

There are also those fans who will probably quit following Jokerit or at least stop rooting for them. I guess the "Russian factor" was too big for them to overcome.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
My impression from Jatkoaika is that most of the fans have remained as fans of Jokerit and more and more of them have lately become more positive about the KHL.

Many of them seem to think that "Liiga on nähty" (fans have lost interest in Liiga) and they want to try something new. Many of the fans also appreciate the fact that now they get to see better players and better quality hockey than before.

There are also those fans who will probably quit following Jokerit or at least stop rooting for them. I guess the "Russian factor" was too big for them to overcome.

And there are fans like me, who liked Jokerit little a bit anyway, but now when they join KHL, it removes the conflict between them and their own / home town team and they can support them. I don't know how many there is that will support them, but I know there are people who are interested and not just negatively about Jokerit joinin KHL.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Majority of Jokerit fans that attend the games are not posters at jatkoaika.com though and the reactions from those (e.g. Facebook polls) were very negative.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Ok, thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see the demographics when the games start. I guess the "business people" are the most positive while the more "active" supporters (like Jatkoaika) are the most negative?
This whole thing is in intriguing to follow, seems like such a unfathomable situation to be in for a fan.

What would happen if the attendance dropped and Jokerit started struggling? Would they be able to re-enter Liiga?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok, thanks for the info. Will be interesting to see the demographics when the games start. I guess the "business people" are the most positive while the more "active" supporters (like Jatkoaika) are the most negative?
This whole thing is in intriguing to follow, seems like such a unfathomable situation to be in for a fan.

What would happen if the attendance dropped and Jokerit started struggling? Would they be able to re-enter Liiga?

Well if the team failed to qualify for the playoffs e.g. 3 years in a row, that would automatically show in attendance, considering how gloryhunterish/bandwagonish Finnish sports fans are. Heck, if Jokerit played badly and kept losing even in the Finnish league it didn't take many games for the attendance to drop. If the attendances dropped enough, then I could imagine there would be speculation whether KHL is the right league for the team.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Majority of Jokerit fans that attend the games are not posters at jatkoaika.com though and the reactions from those (e.g. Facebook polls) were very negative.
"Facebook polls" ain't majority of fans either plus they were made when people were still in shock after the announcement.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit will play their first pre-season game vs Lev on August 7th in Tikkurila. However, the game is available to only season ticket holders which is very unusual and not going down well with fans in Jatkoaika(I think several people are holding off on buying a season ticket before seeing some pre-season games). They also original announced it as "Jokerit will be opening the pre-season in front of only true fans" which they edited later into a more neutral version.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
what are you guys expecting of Harju and Omark?

I can see Omark get 30 points.

Harju something like 10 points (with no grit).

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Omark could go anywhere from 35 to 55 points IMO. He is an artist. Hopefully they won't plague him with the skills of Harju if it doesn't work like old times.

Harju anywhere from 5-20 points IMO.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Omark could go anywhere from 35 to 55 points IMO. He is an artist. Hopefully they won't plague him with the skills of Harju if it doesn't work like old times.

Harju anywhere from 5-20 points IMO.

Considering Jokerit will be playing more defensive hockey(it is Westerlund's MO on club level) and have a history of not being among the highest scoring teams, I have doubts he'll score above 50 points.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Harju has serious skills. If he gets motivated, I can see him going up to 30 points.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Harju has serious skills. If he gets motivated, I can see him going up to 30 points.

I also believe in Omark and Harju, just get a top 1st center now.

How ever, is there reason to doubt motivation for these too? I hope they aren't just cashing in and coasting in Jokerit.. because it woldn't really work as the salary isn't THAT good in Jokerit and taxing is pretty high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad