Jokerit 16/17 - The Final Journey?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Harkimo confirms that Jokerit will continue playing in KHL. New deal has been negotiated, signed by February.

PS: Just curious what will Jussi say us now ....

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
:laugh: He doesn't cofirm anything in it. The header is pure clickbait. If you knew Finnish, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself like that.

"Olemme vääntämässä uutta sopimusta hyvää vauhtia, ja uskon, että sopimus on valmis helmikuun aikana."

"We're working on a new contract and I think it should be finished during February."

What he also said:

Harkimo ei täysin poissulje seuran paluuta SM-liigaan joskus tulevaisuudessa, mutta ainakaan tällä hetkellä sellaisesta ei ole minkäänlaisia viitteitä näköpiirissä.

"He doesn't completely rule out a return to Finnish league but at the moment there are no signs of that."

As several Jatkoaika posters commented, when translated from what we Finns call "politician talk" (also suomi-Hjallis-suomi dictionary): He's negotiating with both KHL and Liiga. Sending a message that he's not spending a single euro on the team should they continue playing in KHL while also keeping the door open for a return to Finnish league.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I knew it! LOL

You have to differ what journalist wrote and what Harkimo said.

Btw Rotenberg said he wants Jokerit in KHL, Chernyshenko said KHL wants Jokerit to continue and now Harkimo. But yes, that all means that Jokerit is leaving :huh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Any Finnish Jokerit fan on this site can confirm that within the past 20 or so years what Harkimo says to press, can be the exact opposite of what is actually happening. There's so many examples of his saying e.g. Jokerit don't have palns of firing the head coach only for him to get sacked within a week or him denying Jokerit are getting new players with a new player playing in the next game. :laugh:

He's a politician these days as well so he's even less trusthworthy. ;) There's jatkoaika.com posters who've actually been in contact with him and talked to him several times and thus know what to expect, that is why they know what to expect.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
"He doesn't completely rule out a return to Finnish league but at the moment there are no signs of that."

The full translation would have been that "he doesn't completely rule out a return sometime in the future".

Also:
He's negotiating with both KHL and Liiga. Sending a message that he's not spending a single euro on the team should they continue playing in KHL while also keeping the door open for a return to Finnish league.

I haven't seen any talk about Harkimo negotiating with Liiga, so unless you have a source for that (other than some random gossip at Jatkoaika), that's not true.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The full translation would have been that "he doesn't completely rule out a return sometime in the future".

Also:

I haven't seen any talk about Harkimo negotiating with Liiga, so unless you have a source for that (other than some random gossip at Jatkoaika), that's not true.

Do you even read? That's how his words read to Jokerit fans.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jussi in suuuch a denial :laugh:

Of what? Also guess what, pal?

tumblr_oefj2rzAbR1shsq9jo1_500.gif

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Of Jokerit inevitably staying in the KHL, where The Darkest One's friends will breaks Finnish hearts by fixing games and bying refs. Have a hug.

AgH11La.jpg

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Do you even read? That's how his words read to Jokerit fans.

So? That doesn't mean anything in the real world and there are no signs which would indicate a return to Liiga.

Things might change somewhere around 2020 or after, but until then we are "stuck" with the high level of KHL hockey instead of the dying product of Liiga.

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
Any Finnish Jokerit fan on this site can confirm that within the past 20 or so years what Harkimo says to press, can be the exact opposite of what is actually happening. There's so many examples of his saying e.g. Jokerit don't have palns of firing the head coach only for him to get sacked within a week or him denying Jokerit are getting new players with a new player playing in the next game. :laugh:

Yes you are absolutely right.

I really hope that this khl journey will come to and end after this season.. People are losing interest and its a fact. It was a nice but pretty boring journey for me, two seasons was enough. Move Jokerit back to the Liiga, please Hjallis I beg you :cry:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Yes you are absolutely right.

I really hope that this khl journey will come to and end after this season.. People are losing interest and its a fact. It was a nice but pretty boring journey for me, two seasons was enough. Move Jokerit back to the Liiga, please Hjallis I beg you :cry:

E473812D2C1352847810483122176_5cfe0ade34d.21.0.jpg

Why do you want Jokerit to be back in Liiga? If you were a Medvescak fan, I wouldn't ask this... They have reasons to ask out for a more competitive league but Jokerit have been doing fine in KHL. Good attendance (compared to KHL standards, not Liiga) and relative success. Do you have any reason other than "I don't care about Vladivostok or Nizhniy Novgorod, we are a Finnish team and we need to play in Finnish league"?

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
E473812D2C1352847810483122176_5cfe0ade34d.21.0.jpg

Why do you want Jokerit to be back in Liiga? If you were a Medvescak fan, I wouldn't ask this... They have reasons to ask out for a more competitive league but Jokerit have been doing fine in KHL. Good attendance (compared to KHL standards, not Liiga) and relative success. Do you have any reason other than "I don't care about Vladivostok or Nizhniy Novgorod, we are a Finnish team and we need to play in Finnish league"?

People miss the old rivals and affordable travel to away matches. Some don't like the fact that persons close to Kreml are financing the team. I don't understand that last point though, I think it's better that oligarch money is given to a Finnish hockey team, instead of financing some shady business in Russia or somewhere else.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
People miss the old rivals and affordable travel to away matches. Some don't like the fact that persons close to Kreml are financing the team. I don't understand that last point though, I think it's better that oligarch money is given to a Finnish hockey team, instead of financing some shady business in Russia or somewhere else.

Fair enough. I was wondering if there is another motive behind it. By the way, has anyone else heard the overly enthusiastic Jokerit fan in stands today? :laugh: I was able to hear it clearly maybe because the stream had no commentator or he was positioned near a microphone but it was hilarious - I've watched tens of Jokerit games in recent years and this is the first time I listened to a guy chanting so loudly, overpowering everyone else. He chanted JOKERIT and, if I write it correctly, something like MEISTERA JOKERIT all the time.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I understand why some want Jokerit to move back to Liiga, considering that the attendance is on about the same level now as it was during the Liiga era. The quality of the referees and Rotenberg's influence has not made it easier either, and add to that this year's poor performance. It's also pretty sad to that the amount of Eteläpääty and other standing fans has dropped a lot during these three seasons

Hopefully it will be better in the upcoming 3 seasons.

Maybe it's time for a Nordic league? :sarcasm:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If I were Jokerit fan the reason I would want them back to Liiga (and I would, most likely) is that KHL is something they can't win, ever. At this point KHL feels like a league where you can't win, no matter what. And it sucks. Especially when you could be having deep playoff runs in the Liiga in the meantime.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
If I were Jokerit fan the reason I would want them back to Liiga (and I would, most likely) is that KHL is something they can't win, ever. At this point KHL feels like a league where you can't win, no matter what. And it sucks. Especially when you could be having deep playoff runs in the Liiga in the meantime.

I understand Finland is not Slovakia, and Liiga is a way better league than SK Extraliga. The money there, fans, level of hockey...minimum one level above the Slovak league. But I still don't understand going back would not mean a big decline in fan numbers. If somebody is used to seeing fast skating hockey, good skill level, interesting players...and boom you take it away, how can a mainstream fan like that?
If Slovan went back to Extraliga, I can imagine at least 75% decline in season ticket sales, sponsorship money, player interest, and individual ticket sales. Media interest in Slovan today is almost as big as the whole Extraliga together, same for attendance. Look at the Slovan locker room after every game, there are so many media reporters, that even NHL teams would compare.
How could Jokerit attract people for a lower level of hockey than the KHL? Because, hand on your heart, the KHL is way more competitive than any other league in Europe even with their horrible Russian referees. Even the lower level Russian teams have good players, and time-to-time they beat big name teams.
The only difference I can sense is the big anti-Russian sentiment in Finland, Slovakia is still in many cases like a pro-Russian trojan horse in the EU. Hell, when Slovan needed money, our Prime Minister :)amazed:) Fico flew to Moscow, met with Putin and Putin picked up a phone and found Slovan a Russian sponsor. Fico came back to Bratislava and voila, Slovan was preparing for the KHL season. There were rumors in the city, that if Slovan did not play in the KHL, they would rather not play for a season and try to play in for example Czech Extraliga.
Does Jokerit really have such faithful fan base, that they would keep coming? You know it's like a girlfriend that you give LV bags, italian shoes, nice watches...and all of a sudden you take her for dinners at KFC and buy her H&M clothes. It does not take a genius to figure, that many "regular" girls would leave you. Is that not the case with Jokerit fans? Because I can guarantee you if Slovan came back to our league, the attendance would be cut in half even at 50% of the ticket cost. They would have to give people free beer or something, just so they come and sit down.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, Liiga isn't that bad and it doesn't even go in the same sentence with Slovakian Extraliga. Other thing is, higher level hockey isn't always closer to people's hearts. CHL is higher level than local competitions and yet in most cases clubs have better attendance for local league matches. It has been said before by Finnish posters that most Finns don't follow KHL extensively and can hardly tell the difference between Ak Bars and Kuznya coming to town (exaggerating a bit but point is solid). Sure once in a while team like SKA comes to town with all their stars but if you lose to their stars 6-0 that's not so fun.

Long story short, you look at it this way because Slovakian Extraliga is a joke. Finnish Liiga is not.

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Well, Liiga isn't that bad and it doesn't even go in the same sentence with Slovakian Extraliga. Other thing is, higher level hockey isn't always closer to people's hearts. CHL is higher level than local competitions and yet in most cases clubs have better attendance for local league matches. It has been said before by Finnish posters that most Finns don't follow KHL extensively and can hardly tell the difference between Ak Bars and Kuznya coming to town (exaggerating a bit but point is solid). Sure once in a while team like SKA comes to town with all their stars but if you lose to their stars 6-0 that's not so fun.

Long story short, you look at it this way because Slovakian Extraliga is a joke. Finnish Liiga is not.

I agree, but...but compared to the KHL even Liiga is a joke (when looking only what happens on the ice). I have watched Liiga, specifically HIFK. I have no idea what is the hockey knowledge of an average person in Helsinki, but in Bratislava people understand hockey. And that's exactly why they like playing even against Kuznya which 99.99% people do not know where it is on the map, and that one hard fought over time win against "some" unknown Russian team makes people leave with a smile and drink all night talking about the game with friends.
Mark my words, if Jokerit goes back to Liiga the people will say "oh man, remember those times when every game our players worked 120% against teams we didn't know and the game could have been equally 6-0 as 0-6." :naughty:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Jokerit going back to Liiga woud be like going Arizona (because they can not win SC) to ECHL. Do you really want it?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well Arizona has played in conference finals. And Arizona is obviously a growing market (or is supposed to be one, at least) unlike Helsinki which I think is safe to say has fulfilled its potential.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree, but...but compared to the KHL even Liiga is a joke (when looking only what happens on the ice). I have watched Liiga, specifically HIFK. I have no idea what is the hockey knowledge of an average person in Helsinki, but in Bratislava people understand hockey. And that's exactly why they like playing even against Kuznya which 99.99% people do not know where it is on the map, and that one hard fought over time win against "some" unknown Russian team makes people leave with a smile and drink all night talking about the game with friends.
Mark my words, if Jokerit goes back to Liiga the people will say "oh man, remember those times when every game our players worked 120% against teams we didn't know and the game could have been equally 6-0 as 0-6." :naughty:

Thing is, many Jokerit fans have been saying for example on the biggest Finnish hockey site that they no longer care how the team does. It's irrelevant if they win or lose. The emotional attachment has been decreased immensely. In SM-Liiga days, if Jokerit lost to HIFK, the disappointment would linger for days and the expectation for chance toget back at them would keep growing. The lack of home grown young players doesn't help either, most players feel like mercenaries to them.

Jokerit coming back home would mean own juniors would get to play again for the team and fans would get to see the team live more. Plus instead of fighting for a palyoff spot in KHL, they'd be fighting for the Finnish championships. There are still many fans who have actually seen the team win a title and want to experience that again. They know that isn't going to happen in the KHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad