Jokerit 16/17 - The Final Journey?

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
Lucky 3pst vs Traktor. Zapolski was excellent, got very lucky too few times :laugh:. A complete open door day both ends, defensing seemed pretty much non-existent. I personally enjoy watching this kind of hockey but without a goalie saving the day it can get tough in a long run :popcorn:

shots on goal 41 traktor - 30 jokerit
blocked shots 15 - 14

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Jokerit have a ridiculously difficult start to the season. Eight away games in a row, most of them against top teams of the league. First two games in Helsinki are also against strong parts of East, Avangard and Sibir. Then there is one game against Novokuznetsk only followed by CSKA in Moscow. If I was asked to give Jokerit toughest available schedule, I would most likely not be able to produce such a strong one.

Anyways, the team is looking quite fine (aside from letting too many shots on goal, which I think has something to do with playing away, so eh) for a traveler at the moment. If they don't mess up very badly in next one or two, I think it can be expected from them to climb top 4 in October. Currently, I won't blame Jokerit for anything really - as I said, their schedule is ridiculously tiring and rough.

Read with the voice of Commissar Letlev in Call of Duty 2: "Not bad, not bad!"

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
seems to be the worst team Jokerit has so far? Last year i think they were much stronger...

any ambitions from to return to Liiga? or what kind of contract to they have with the KHL ?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
seems to be the worst team Jokerit has so far? Last year i think they were much stronger...

any ambitions from to return to Liiga? or what kind of contract to they have with the KHL ?

Jokerit will continue in KHL. It was said a week before this season started, even Chernyshenko came to Helsinki. Photos of his visit here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Jokerit will continue in KHL. It was said a week before this season started, even Chernyshenko came to Helsinki. Photos of his visit here.

Nope. There was nothing official stated at that conference. Jokerit representatives said they hope to get a clearance for new funding from the KHL, because the current one ends after this season. However, pretty much everyone (the fans and media) got the impression from the presser that they were going to announce something (hence Chernyshenko's appearance) but things fell through and there was absolutely nothing put in paper. Based on the state of Russian economy, Rotenberg's apathy towards Jokerit and the seeming lack of interest by Russians to fund non-Russian clubs, everything seems to be up in the air.

Fans got increasingly fed up with the league last season and it seems the has carried over to this one. The fan stand Eteläpääty has become a joke from what I've gathered at Jatkoaika and it's leaders/board seem to be just enjoying free trips abroad and contrary to past years, they now have no say in how the club is run.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
dont you think so? I think they had a better team last year !? They only scored 17 goals so far! Might miss Kozun big time, also Aaltonen.

O'Neill, Hishon,Genoway didnt pick it up so far...

The team is underperforming. There is a difference between that and being bad. At the same time, Averin has 3 points so far and Apalkov has 2. Did Loko get bad because people you would expect 40 points each from are on pace for 15 and 12?

At the same time, I don't think O'Neill will finish the season with 0 goals and 6 assists or something. Jokerit's offesive depth is definitely there this season and yet the team struggles to score goals. That's not the personnel problem. Personnel problem is Ak Bars having kids on defense thus allowing loads of goals. Or Admiral not having a goalie. Or to an extent Loko signing Max Talbot and not scoring. Not the situation Jokerit is at.

Last edited:

coyotechrisz

Apr 21, 2004
At the same time, I don't think O'Neill will finish the season with 0 goals and 6 assists or something. Jokerit's offesive depth is definitely there this season and yet the team struggles to score goals. That's not the personnel problem. Personnel problem is Ak Bars having kids on defense thus allowing loads of goals. Or Admiral not having a goalie. Or to an extent Loko signing Max Talbot and not scoring. Not the situation Jokerit is at.

Well not sure about O'Neill, but let's see how things work out for them.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Fans got increasingly fed up with the league last season and it seems the has carried over to this one. The fan stand Eteläpääty has become a joke from what I've gathered at Jatkoaika and it's leaders/board seem to be just enjoying free trips abroad and contrary to past years, they now have no say in how the club is run.
Eteläpääty was still great 4-5 years ago. But the whole change in that department started already before KHL. Karalahti cases for example and older Ultras quit the job and let the young ones take over. Then came KHL and even then some fans left. It's definately whole lot smaller and younger section now but they are still the only ones making noise in Arena. You can still hear some chanting which is good. Hishon for example liked the noise in his first home game.

Though the honeymoon with KHL is now over so getting spectators is more difficult now especially when the team don't have flashy players like Omark, Moses, Aaltonen, Kozun, Larsen for example and the team is having difficult start to season with new coaching and bunch of new players who are still learning KHL game. Plus there are fans that are tired of the KHL and it's joke referees in some games. Plus Rotenberg.

Hishon is waking up a little bit but Keränen, O'Neill and Salminen should start producing more. Regin haven't been playing like last year either. Jaakola's game went worse when he cut his awesome beard. Etc.

Lauridsen was awesome, sadly now out for 4-6 weeks.
Jormakka was head hunted yesterday. He was the best forward so far.
Marjamäki hurt himself bad too. Out for long time. Great role player.
Joensuu still out. Come back somewhere next month.

Injuries starting to hit the team again...and Jokerit don't have farm team where to lift players up. K-Vantaa/Mestis isn't a farm system.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Liiga is expanding with one team next season. What are the odds of Jokerit returning?

look here

Lame press conference, basically they just said that Jokerit have done well in KHL and both parties are happy to continue their partnership. Right now they are negotiating a new deal for three years and it should ready by the end of this year.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I give you a few reasons why I hink that Jokerit will stay (if no vis maior)

- Chernyshenko is describing KHL as leading euro-asian hockey league. So KHL needs STRONG clubs from Europe and Jokerit is like this - strong brand.

- Chernyshenko visited Helsinki before season started (important because he did not visit other euro KHL clubs, but Helsinki - strong diplomatic signal how important Jokerit for KHL is), he presented KHL strategy of development to finnish partner of Jokerit.

- Kohonen or someone like this attended KHL marketing seminar this summer, he presented Jokerit´s strategy for next couple of years. I ask why would Jokerit make strategy for next couple of years (and presented it to KHL) when wants to come back to Liiga?

- Kurri was re-elected a member of KHL Board of Directors in september 2016, source. I ask - why to stay in KHL BoD when you want to leave the league soon?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Liiga is expanding with one team next season. What are the odds of Jokerit returning?

It's not confirmed. New Liiga boss denied the rumor the successor of Espoo Blues, Espoo United, returning next season.

Also, it's not a question of wanting to leave KHL on the Jokerit part, it's a question of having to, due to not getting funding from KHL/Russia anymore.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
1/3 of regular season played, 23pts, ninth in western. JJ's team is definitely not looking too sharp, both mentally and physically. The gameplay has been quite a mess for a while now

Also jj often brings up the difficulty of make use of scoring chances and "going to the net", but if we look at the statistics that's not the main issue. Jokerit are not even getting shots 5on5.

The team is currently 22th in the league by Shots on Goal / Games played.

I would just rest the team for 3-4 weeks as much as possible. Play the games and keep off as much as possible.

There is also the injury issue once again. When you always seem to struggle with the injuries from season to season it's starting to look something else than just bad luck. Maybe time to change fitness coach, coaching? Rest is the answer here too.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
They look horrible defensively. It's painful to watch when every opponent is able to cycle the puck for minutes in the Jokerit end, leading to a scoring chance almost every time. The players just don't seem to know what to do when defending.

Fix the D and start working with the offence after that.

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
I think that Jokerit are built like a typical playoff team. If they reach the playoffs, mark my words, they will reach at least the conference final:nod:.

P.S. Yes, I know that at this moment it sounds crazy, but we will talk again.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Posted by username Tshekki77 at Jatkoaika, today's Metro-magazine had an interview with Jokerit CEO Kohonen and when asked the future of Jokerit in KHL, he said: "We don't have a timetable for it. Continuation in KHL must be confirmed during the season, or should be. Owners and shareholders will probably meet in January."

Doesn't sound exactly promising. Or it sounds very promising if you want Jokerit to return to the Finnish league system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad