Jokerit 16/17 - The Final Journey?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
At which line(s) would you roll these dudes? Asking because I have no idea at all. Anyways, some tough guys were definitely needed for Jokerit. Now it's time to whisper Skudra's ear, "Come here, we will try something."

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
At which line(s) would you roll these dudes? Asking because I have no idea at all. Anyways, some tough guys were definitely needed for Jokerit. Now it's time to whisper Skudra's ear, "Come here, we will try something."
Bottom-6 but looks like both could fill top-6 positions if needed due to injuries.

Marjamäki has injury history and hopefully those days are gone for him.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Our ice "palace" can hold only around 900 people so I hope not many ice hockey fans in Turkey know about this. :laugh:

At the moment I am not in İstanbul, but if I knew I'd be able to get a few photographs and signatures, I would go back for this game. However, I think this will not be the case because I am sure the place will be overcrowded - before me, there are many "authorized" people to "reach" players, meh.

Jokerit just posted a picture of the place, I must say that's quite the ice palace you have there in Istanbul:

13076568_10153642005402775_8076488110688675479_n.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Jokerit just posted a picture of the place, I must say that's quite the ice palace you have there in Istanbul:

It may be difficult to judge from this angle but in case you thought otherwise, the building is behind the walls - a modern complex where you can do many other sports as well. Though as you can see, it's just besides walls. What makes me sad and concerned about this photo is the condition of walls. They were built like 1600 years ago by the Byzantines. I mean, this is some real stuff. While on the way to this ice palace, you walk by them for a loooong time. Feels like a trip to past. It stretches through more than two districts in İstanbul... Yet it's in a horrible shape. Stones are stolen, junkies everywhere, gypsies put their clothes on walls to dry them... LOL. I remember the times when I skated there - especially after evening sessions, we used to leave the place in groups in case some junkies try stabbing us or so. Not very safe.

I hope the Jokerit squad enjoyed the trip and saw good part of the city - which is being torn apart day by day. When you are governed by people who refer to historical artifacts as "bunch of valueless potteries" and these get half of the votes, there is not much left to do but get the **** out of the country.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It may be difficult to judge from this angle but in case you thought otherwise, the building is behind the walls - a modern complex where you can do many other sports as well. Though as you can see, it's just besides walls. What makes me sad and concerned about this photo is the condition of walls. They were built like 1600 years ago by the Byzantines. I mean, this is some real stuff. While on the way to this ice palace, you walk by them for a loooong time. Feels like a trip to past. It stretches through more than two districts in İstanbul... Yet it's in a horrible shape. Stones are stolen, junkies everywhere, gypsies put their clothes on walls to dry them... LOL. I remember the times when I skated there - especially after evening sessions, we used to leave the place in groups in case some junkies try stabbing us or so. Not very safe.

I hope the Jokerit squad enjoyed the trip and saw good part of the city - which is being torn apart day by day. When you are governed by people who refer to historical artifacts as "bunch of valueless potteries" and these get half of the votes, there is not much left to do but get the **** out of the country.
Maybe the Jokerit guys will love it so much they'll decide to stay. Then in a few years they could suit up and promote Turkey to the elite level lol

It's great that they're doing these exhibition tours though, often times teams (especially American teams) refuse to do exhibitions that might help develop sports in other countries because...plane tickets...hotel rooms...

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Nice promotion stuff especially when Turkey is one of the team's sponsors. Though looking at the pics there were only two players from the current roster: Lajunen and Kautto. Others were team staff (for example Kurri and CEO Kohonen), retired former Jokerit players (Oskari Korpikari, Sami Helenius and Sami Wahlsten), sports commentators, musician/punkster who is Jokerit fan etc. (he scored btw).

Jokerit won 3-2

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

I was wondering if the walls were historical. Shame that they aren't maintained adequately though. I noticed they were hanging a giant picture of Atatürk, is this a standard in sports facilities in Turkey?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I was wondering if the walls were historical. Shame that they aren't maintained adequately though. I noticed they were hanging a giant picture of Atatürk, is this a standard in sports facilities in Turkey?

The walls are absolutely fantastic especially for people who are fond of history. It feels weird to know the wall you walk by with an ice skate in your bag while listening to music on your electronic device was built by dudes who did not even know what tomato is. Anyways, they did not lose much by not knowing what tomato is. It's not tasty anymore.

Hanging pictures of Atatürk here and there is a common practice and yes, you can see pictures of him looking at you like, "It feels so good to be founder of a republic mate, what's up?" not only in sports facilities but almost everywhere, with many many many statues as well. However, I'd call this Atatürk madness a reaction to past and rightly so. I am never a fan of worshipping a political & historical figure and defending him at all costs, and I cannot do the same for Atatürk - he did mistakes, too. But the things he gave to Turkey, or helped earn, are just beyond imaginable. He was the man to stand up against this religious-based corrupted system and to found a secular Turkish republic, putting our nation before the religion of Islam which originally has no ties to Turkish beliefs. We were forcibly "Islamized" in around 700, with Battle of Talas to be precise.

It's a tricky thing and let alone anyone else, even we Turks can't understand... Long story short, half of the country hates Atatürk because they consider him to be an infidel and destroyer of Ottoman Empire - if you ask me, this is a steamy pile of horse ****. On the contrary, he was the man who turned Ottoman Empire on the brink of collapsing into a secular Turkish republic after a very painful process, during which many battles were fought. For the other half of the country, Atatürk is godlike - savior and leader of Turkish identity. Even though he sometimes went too far, he was a secular, modern dude who wanted Turkish Republic to have better relations with western world to improve life standards and level of education.

Anyways, our current government hates Atatürk and wants to remove his name from everywhere. You know why - they are Islamists and they hate everything peaceful and modern. So, while I do not support the idea of having one guy's photos everywhere, I totally understand why people are so fiery with their love for Atatürk.

Sorry for kinda derailing with such long posts that has nothing to do with hockey but that's a painful issue for me and I just wanted to tell people what I know & think about it. It feels really sad when your country turns into a Middle East state slowly and there is nothing you can do against it.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The walls are absolutely fantastic especially for people who are fond of history. It feels weird to know the wall you walk by with an ice skate in your bag while listening to music on your electronic device was built by dudes who did not even know what tomato is. Anyways, they did not lose much by not knowing what tomato is. It's not tasty anymore.

Hanging pictures of Atatürk here and there is a common practice and yes, you can see pictures of him looking at you like, "It feels so good to be founder of a republic mate, what's up?" not only in sports facilities but almost everywhere, with many many many statues as well. However, I'd call this Atatürk madness a reaction to past and rightly so. I am never a fan of worshipping a political & historical figure and defending him at all costs, and I cannot do the same for Atatürk - he did mistakes, too. But the things he gave to Turkey, or helped earn, are just beyond imaginable. He was the man to stand up against this religious-based corrupted system and to found a secular Turkish republic, putting our nation before the religion of Islam which originally has no ties to Turkish beliefs. We were forcibly "Islamized" in around 700, with Battle of Talas to be precise.

It's a tricky thing and let alone anyone else, even we Turks can't understand... Long story short, half of the country hates Atatürk because they consider him to be an infidel and destroyer of Ottoman Empire - if you ask me, this is a steamy pile of horse ****. On the contrary, he was the man who turned Ottoman Empire on the brink of collapsing into a secular Turkish republic after a very painful process, during which many battles were fought. For the other half of the country, Atatürk is godlike - savior and leader of Turkish identity. Even though he sometimes went too far, he was a secular, modern dude who wanted Turkish Republic to have better relations with western world to improve life standards and level of education.

Anyways, our current government hates Atatürk and wants to remove his name from everywhere. You know why - they are Islamists and they hate everything peaceful and modern. So, while I do not support the idea of having one guy's photos everywhere, I totally understand why people are so fiery with their love for Atatürk.

Sorry for kinda derailing with such long posts that has nothing to do with hockey but that's a painful issue for me and I just wanted to tell people what I know & think about it. It feels really sad when your country turns into a Middle East state slowly and there is nothing you can do against it.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... thats an amusing, amazing & inspiring story hansomreiste. good on you & your hockey playing mates. :thumbu:

Hanging pictures of Atatürk here and there is a common practice and yes, you can see pictures of him looking at you like, "It feels so good to be founder of a republic mate, what's up?" not only in sports facilities but almost everywhere, with many many many statues as well.....

Cool stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, very cool.... and while the second post is entirely political in nature & something we frown upon here on the KHL Board..... in this case Im gunna allow it... fascinating glimpse into past, present & possible future, what that might mean for sport & in particular for hockey in Turkey.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Keränen was awesome in Ilves before he left to NA. That trip didn't go well but his AHL team was very bad. KHL rinks might suite very well for him. He has speed and skills and ok size, 185cm.

Salminen have been in the rumors before. Little guy with skills, experience from the KHL and producing there. He hated flying there? well now he could fly with Finnair charter.

Some rumored players: Niemi (Kärpät), Lauridsen (Frölunda).

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
Keränen was awesome in Ilves before he left to NA. That trip didn't go well but his AHL team was very bad. KHL rinks might suite very well for him. He has speed and skills and ok size, 185cm.

Salminen have been in the rumors before. Little guy with skills, experience from the KHL and producing there. He hated flying there? well now he could fly with Finnair charter.

Some rumored players: Niemi (Kärpät), Lauridsen (Frölunda).

Lauridsen is confirmed aswell.

http://www.jokerit.com/tanskalaisjatti-saapuu-ruotsista

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Lauridsen has 37 career fights. Most of them in AHL. Like him already. Win some. Lose some.

Physical D man and should bring some pain in front of the net. Likes to hit a lot and blocks shots.

Melart gets loss

Bissonnette is a very tough cookie and he handles himself well there:

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Lauridsen is big and yes he can fight but his greatest assets is his reach, his strength and above all his brain...The kid just knows how to play within his limits, makes VERY few mistakes and stupid passes. And he is very committed and loyal.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Lauridsen is not the greatest skater in the world, to put it mildly, but he is aware of his strengths and weaknesses. Huge guy that you will hurt yourself on if you happens to be in front of Jokerits goal.

Great signing.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Great to hear all that stuff from Oliver. In KHL and in SHL you need playing skills too.

Though Jokerit is definately getting little bit bigger and meaner. Torpedo and Skudra, let's meet again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad