LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Marner has already said he'll be talking to teams next week but a committed GM would just stare at his phone the entire week and ignore everything else. Bad look for Dubas.
Some of you are just unbearable. All we hear is how all the Leafs key young RFAs are getting offersheeted, and even when the Leafs sign two (or close to) to good deals they still get flak for the order in which it's done. It's impossible to win. Give it up.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
In a difficult off season for the Leafs, this should be considered a win for sure. 2 solid pieces, signed with term to very fair value. Either one could have tried to fish for an offer sheet and maybe received something in the $4.1 range, but they signed reasonable deals and will be very important parts of the Leafs as the need to maneuver around the cap over the next couple of seasons. They still have some cutting to do but these signings are very good for the Leafs. I guess we’ll have to find something else to hate on you for.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
damn. that's already a steal. johnsson easily has 60 point potential. both this and kapanen deals are going to steals.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Some of you are just unbearable. All we hear is how all the Leafs key young RFAs are getting offersheeted, and even when the Leafs sign two (or close to) to good deals they still get flak for the order in which it's done. It's impossible to win. Give it up.

Read it again m8 ;)

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Any chance the Leafs part with Johnsson on a sign and trade deal? I can’t imagine Toronto would be ok with the current state of their defense. No Hainsey or Gradiner would leave them with a barren defense core.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dude they have Milan Lucic. They're all set in that regard.
Oilers are still better off buying out Lucic vs the full 6m hit and watching him slug around the ice for 82 games a season.
lucic.png

DaBadGuy316

May 26, 2007
VanCity
Good signing by the leafs. Will they have to move anybody else before signing Marner? How much cap room do they have after this and the Kapanen signings?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Good signing by the leafs. Will they have to move anybody else before signing Marner? How much cap room do they have after this and the Kapanen signings?

Move Brown and they can make it fit. The defence would be Rielly, Z, Muzzin, Dermott, Rosen, and ? So not ideal but it can fit for 1 year. If they do move Z they can’t afford any more than his cap hit on a replacement so it’s not going to help much.

Reactions: SimR

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Jealous, I just got back to civilization from a week up on Lac Seul. Favorite week of the year!

Awesome. My best buddy guides on Lac Seoul. Actually I have a lot of buddies that have guided there, awesome fishery

I just got off the water fishing a bass tourney today. I’m burned to a crisp.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Wow great deals for these two. Johnsson slightly under EW projection and Kapanen slightly over...good value and Dubas managed to ship out Marleau's 6 mill +.

Good times for the Leafs...and here we were all wishing they would have cap problems and have to cough somebody good up :(

Reactions: bigbabybuda

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Oh so you mean the Leafs are NOT in "cap hell" and having to move a bunch of their young roster players to make room for Marner?

Just one trade of a super late 1st, and soon, the trading of Zaitsev, and all that "cap hell" disappears?

Hmmm.........but we were told otherwise.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad