LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Yeah these are fine contracts for Johnsson and Kap if they come to fruition. 2 guys who can play top 6 relatively serviceably. As long as Marner gets done the Leafs will have 8 forwards locked in that match up quite well against anyone else's top 8 league wide, fill out the other 4 spots as needed. The defence still looks problematic but I think for the most part cap armageddon has been a little overblown, they're just going to be tight. That Marleau trade sucked but if that's the worst it's not so bad.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i think we had 14ish mil (including Horton's LTIR) prior to the Marleau deal....so we still have 14ish mil.

To which Marner atleast takes 10M.

Why? Marleau's salary being moved covers both of these deals. Leaves them with over 12M of cap space without signing Marner.

& 5 D-men+ 11 forwards on the roster.

That's not enough and in your match the Horton LTIR has been used.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That's a great deal for a great player. The fourth year is really icing on the cake.

If Johnsson gets a full season riding with Matthews and PP time, he'll put up some big numbers. His shooting percentage was unsustainable this year, but increased ice time and opportunities will see him put up some good totals. He's a very, very smart player and it's great to have him locked in.

Your move, Mitch.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Love this deal. I thought it would take 4M+for this term. Good job, Dubas.

As for how we're going to afford Marner, we just traded Marleau lol and I can't see anyway Brown comes back. More than enough space unless he gets something stupid like 13M. We probably won't be able to add an impact d-man though, unless Kap, AJ or Kadri are traded.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
That's a great deal for a great player. The fourth year is really icing on the cake.

If Johnsson gets a full season riding with Matthews and PP time, he'll put up some big numbers. His shooting percentage was unsustainable this year, but increased ice time and opportunities will see him put up some good totals. He's a very, very smart player and it's great to have him locked in.

Your move, Mitch.
Agreed. 4 years too

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
To which Marner atleast takes 10M.

& 5 D-men+ 11 forwards on the roster.

That's not enough and in your match the Horton LTIR has been used.

Some Marlies will fill those roles. Maybe Brown goes and remaining cap + Browns cap signs a 2nd pairing D.

Maybe there is a big trade in the works that adds someone. Who knows. Point is, the Leafs shouldn't have that much worse of a roster than last year. Basically they lose Gardiner and Hainsey

Reactions: DanM

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
But that's exactly what they're worth right now. At one point Kapanen was on pace for 30 goals, which would make him too pricey, but his production seemed to slow when Nylander came back.
Ya Kapanen was stuck on 19 goals for a good stretch when he just wasn't getting any bounces on the goals and hit 20 at the end of the season keeping his money down a bit and perfect for the leafs situation this season

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Do all of these wait on Marner now lol?

Nope. If an offer was made to Marner, it was his choice to not take it. Dubas has to move on. These Guys would be taking less than market with the numbers we are seeing. Only so much $$. Hornton will go to LTIR. Still have to trade Brown.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Leafs did really good today. Love their picks and the RFA contracts. Only thing I’m not sold on is the Marleau trade, but they sort of had to do it.

Reactions: TheKrebsCycle

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Dubas is having a good day but I'm sure more than half of HF would tell you he's running the team into the ground.

Move Brown for the highest pick. Move Zaitsev for whatever. Even if you have to give up something. Then we'll cross the Marner bridge.

I feel 100% more confident in us keeping all the RFAs than I did yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad