LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just a quibble but I don't think it works that way. LTIR allows them to go over the cap. It doesn't keep them under it.
No, but you can be 10% over in the offseason...need to be compliant on day 1 of the regular season (which means the Leafs send a couple of players down on day 1), then Horton's LTIR kicks in allowing the Leafs to use that space.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Just a quibble but I don't think it works that way. LTIR allows them to go over the cap. It doesn't keep them under it.
right, my understanding on it is that you have to get cap compliant to start the season without the LTIR cap relief, but then you can go over by the amount of the LTIR contract. Last year the Leafs got the full $5.3M in extra space if it was required.

There is definitely some voodoo to that rule though

Reactions: TooManyHumans

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I just don’t really understand why Kap/Johnsson would agree to these deals. Idk maybe they’re really happy in TOR.

But fact of the matter is these guys could probably get $5-6m on an offer sheet, which would mean they’d basically get double what TOR is offering after taxes are factored in.

offer sheets would be looking for longer term.

Shorter term deals bring them closer to UFA faster.

And it's not all about the money. What if ottawa offers you $6M? would you want to go play there? Work your whole life to end up there? Not only would that be a miserable situation, but you know at the end of that contract you're going to get badgered by management to play for less. And for that matter, with a crappy team dragging you down, you may even be worth less.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Who would pay either player 5-6 million on an offer sheet? Let's toner down a bit.

If ppl are paying a 29yo Eberle $5.5m for 5 years, a 23yo Kapanen (who’s better than Eberle) would probably get about the same in an offer sheet.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If ppl are paying a 29yo Eberle $5.5m for 5 years, a 23yo Kapanen (who’s better than Eberle) would probably get about the same in an offer sheet.

I still think Sens should do this lol.. They need some good young players and my goodness would it ever cause controversy in Ontario!!

Offer up 5ish per! Haha

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Any offer sheet over 4.2 mils is worth a 1st and a 3rd. I highly doubt any GM would be willing to overpay those guys and part with a 1st and a 3rd.

I think you are overevaluating those.

Interestingly, there’s actual evidence that directly refutes this argument.

Dubas tried peddling Marleau’s contract all over. It was reported teams were willing to take Marleau as long as it included a good asset (Kapanen). Avs would’ve done it if it included Kapanen, but Dubas wouldn’t part with him. As a result, Marleau was moved to CAR for a 1st round pick.

Which means that Dubas and Sakic (at the very least), believed that Kapanen was more valuable than a 1st rounder.

Chungo2

Apr 22, 2018

Dubas tried peddling Marleau’s contract all over. It was reported teams were willing to take Marleau as long as it included a good asset (Kapanen). Avs would’ve done it if it included Kapanen, but Dubas wouldn’t part with him. As a result, Marleau was moved to CAR for a 1st round pick.

Which means that Dubas and Sakic (at the very least), believed that Kapanen was more valuable than a 1st rounder.
Paying the draft pick isn't the problem (I think). The issues are:
- fans love 1st round picks.
- the league has a fair bit of parity where you're not quite sure where you'll end up.
- it's a bit of an old boys club (Lowe and Burke feud lol) about offer sheeting someone

There have only been 8 offer sheets since it had begun and I think it's been for some higher tiered players mostly.

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Some people saying Vegas making a mistake with completing Karlssen signing before sorting out their cap issues

Some saying Toronto making a mistake moving slowly on Johnson and Kap

Teams against the cap just shuffling their chairs trying to get it done

Both teams will lose somebody that is important. Both teams will still be good and make adjustments in season

Of course there are wildcards, culture is changing everywhere, and an offer sheet will eventually happen some time, some year

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I still think Sens should do this lol.. They need some good young players and my goodness would it ever cause controversy in Ontario!!

Offer up 5ish per! Haha

If the Sens offer sheet Kapanen for $5.5M, I don't hesitate for one microsecond to let Kapanen go play for the Senators, and take back a pick that his a great chance at being first overall.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

And by actual evidence, you mean romours and tweets by some guys who are wrong more than right, don't you?

Also note that there is also big difference between valuing a guy more than a first, and being willing to give a first, a third for him AND overpaying him at the same time. Which is what my original comment is saying

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Offer up 5ish per! Haha
If the sens pay a 1 time unproven 40 point player 5 million, how would that affect all their future rfa negotiations?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Offer up 5ish per! Haha

I agree the Sens should do that, because they are the worst team in the NHL and it's not close.

So please offer sheet Kapy give the Leafs a guaranteed top 4 pick in the 2020 draft.

I love Kappy but please offer sheet Kapy for 5 million

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad