LeBrun: Johnsson and Leafs closing in on extension (4 years, $3.4M AAV)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Some Marlies will fill those roles. Maybe Brown goes and remaining cap + Browns cap signs a 2nd pairing D.

Maybe there is a big trade in the works that adds someone. Who knows. Point is, the Leafs shouldn't have that much worse of a roster than last year. Basically they lose Gardiner and Hainsey

From that defense Gardinaer is a clear loss, and Marleau just went, and looks like another depth player with cap needs to go out.

None of them are core players but depth is pretty important and the East looks to be strong again next year.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think they are forcing Marner’s hand. There’s only so much $ to go around. Smart actually. Business is business.
Or taking up space and he signs an offer sheet and they can't match? I guess in the end they could match and just have to move Johnsson or Kap anyway so might as well sign them now.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Or taking up space and he signs an offer sheet and they can't match? I guess in the end they could match and just have to move Johnsson or Kap anyway so might as well sign them now.

Why couldn't the Leafs match? They have the space, not to mention they can exceed the cap by 10% (another 8+ million).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Now sign marner and make other upgrades to the team and find some dmen with the rest of the limited amount of cash.

Id assume a couple big trades needs to be made.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
From that defense Gardinaer is a clear loss, and Marleau just went, and looks like another depth player with cap needs to go out.

None of them are core players but depth is pretty important and the East looks to be strong again next year.

Marleau made the team worse. He is not a loss. Gardiner is a loss for sure, but he was on the third pair for us last year so was more of a luxury. And who knows, it's possible he still comes back if he'll take a discount. It's being discussed but he wants to see other offers first.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So matleaus cap basically pays for aj and kk? What's left for marner + other roster spots?
Its possible that they may need to do some silly stuff like maybe have one of the RFA's wait until the very first day of the season to sign the contract so that they can use hortons LTIR space

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Marleau made the team worse. He is not a loss. Gardiner is a loss for sure, but he was on the third pair for us last year so was more of a luxury. And who knows, it's possible he still comes back if he'll take a discount. It's being discussed but he wants to see other offers first.
Gards aint coming back.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
This is truth... dubas is showing marner other guys are falling in line and that mitch doesnt make or break the world

Whether or not it works.. point should be noted

I see, he is giving Marner the Nylander approach.... That worked very well, just for curiosity how would you had liked the Leafs chances against the big bad Bruins this year had Nylander been in full form?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Did you read the second half of my post? I said they could match and have to move some players to fit the cap.

Then what's the point of the first part of your post?

They can't match. Well, I guess they can match. Makes sense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Well those are 2 valuable and cheap depth players locked up for a few years to give TOR some breathing room.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Then what's the point of the first part of your post?

They can't match. Well, I guess they can match. Makes sense.
You're attacking my post about nothing. It makes sense. They can't match without moving out salary. Thats the point. You know this I am sure, so why are you just nitpicking. I'm not writing a college admission essay and proofreading my post. I am just typing thoughts are they come.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I see, he is giving Marner the Nylander approach.... That worked very well, just for curiosity how would you had liked the Leafs chances against the big bad Bruins this year had Nylander been in full form?

personally i would have let nylander sit

my thoughts on nylander as a player thus far i don't think it would have made a big difference if he was full form or not

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
You're attacking my post about nothing. It makes sense. They can't match without moving out salary. Thats the point. You know this I am sure, so why are you just nitpicking. I'm not writing a college admission essay and proofreading my post. I am just typing thoughts are they come.

They dont need to move out salary to match. That's false.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Seems odd to focus on lesser deal when marner isn’t done yet
I'm not sure it is that strange. I mean yeah Marner is #1 priority but if he is not signing until July 1 or after you cannot just hold everything. You pick a number in your head like 10-11mil and you act as if that is what you are spending and act accordingly. If we believe the 2 rumors floating right now we get both our other RFA's in at 6.6ish. That leaves us 7.4 plus Horton's 5.3 = 12.7 to sign Marner, upgrade Sparks and Holl and add a D.

Now if you don't think you can make that work you have the option of trading them signed or you look to make money elsewhere like Zaitsev and though I don't agree Kadri. With Dermott and Brown both RFA's next year I can see why Dub may already be thinking of moving Brown.

Conversely you let Marner walk you know you have Nylander, Kap, Brown to build a RW around.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
They dont need to move out salary to match. That's false.
They need to move out salary to match a 11 million dollar contract+ and still ice a team by day 1. That is true. Why are you being so thick headed. Its not a secret they can go over the cap in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad