Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
david backes is not the level of player john tavares is.

What in the blue **** does that have to do with what I said?

Backes played his entire career in Stl, deep ties to the community, and team captain. He took absolute ownership of the captaincy and he left a better team over 1yr and 6 million dollars.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow so I guess Lebron, Parise, and Backes all left so let's just call that the norm and ignore 95% of franchise players who eventually sign with their own team.

Keep arguing the outliers.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Wow so I guess Lebron, Parise, and Backes all left so let's just call that the norm and ignore 95% of franchise players who eventually sign with their own team.

Do 95% of franchise players at teams that look to be in a really bad state and haven't gone anywhere for years sign with their team though?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
In this case it's not fan speculation so much as it is comments made by Tavares himself inferring that he regards staying with the same team his entire career as a good thing.

We must be reading different quotes or have wildly different opinions on the same ones. What I have seen is the "saying the right thing" type stuff while being very non-committal.

I would be worried if I were an Islanders fan.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think Tavares stays with the Isles, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as some think

I would not be shocked to see him leave. My guess is Isles management will do everything possible to try to keep him

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Do 95% of franchise players at teams that look to be in a really bad state and haven't gone anywhere for years sign with their team though?

16-17: 41-29-12: 94 points
15-16: 45-27-10: 100 points
14-15: 47-28-7: 101 points

What a really bad state to be in. Might as well demote us to the AHL like they do in soccer with these pathetic records.

He's gotta be looking at a team like Toronto who put up a 95-point season last year and go "boy I can't wait to get off this 94 point tire fire and join a 95 point cup contender. I'd even sign for super cheap just to finally land on a real NHL team and not these amateur, 94 point hacks."

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

What a really bad state to be in. Might as well demote us to the AHL like they do in soccer with these pathetic records.

He's gotta be looking at a team like Toronto who put up a 95-point season last year and go "boy I can't wait to get off this 94 point tire fire and join a 95 point cup contender. I'd even sign for super cheap just to finally land on a real NHL team and not these amateur, 94 point hacks."

The islanders have won one playoff series since tavares has been on the team. Also they are on part with last this year if not arguably worse, and you just signed de Haan to a one year extension that brings him to UFA.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

My god you guys are fragile. The POINT is words are just that, words. Until he signs his name to an extention with the Islanders, his future with the team is uncertian. My point with Backes was he had just as deep of ties to the team and city, yet he still ended up moving on. Im not guarenteeing that Tavares is leaving. I too would be suprised if he did actually wind up in a different jersey. But for conversations sake....There's nothing wrong with speculating his future.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
David Backes said the same thing.

The important distinction to make there is the Blues had a # they weren't going to exceed with Backes so others were going to easily beat their offer. With Tavares the Isles will give him huge money because they pretty much have to. Who knows what Tavares is thinking, all we have are quotes from him to go on and our gut instinct. Maybe he is genuinely considering leaving, but based on the quotes I've seen I would bet he re-signs with the Isles.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The islanders have won one playoff series since tavares has been on the team. Also they are on part with last this year if not arguably worse, and you just signed de Haan to a one year extension that brings him to UFA.

I can't quite understand what you said, but you're not really suggesting the Islanders are "on par" with Vegas & Colorado competing for last in the league right? Because a Habs fan whose team desperately needs a #1C and has no viable trade chips to acquire one says so?

My god you guys are fragile. The POINT is words are just that, words. Until he signs his name to an extention with the Islanders, his future with the team is uncertian. My point with Backes was he had just as deep of ties to the team and city, yet he still ended up moving on. Im not guarenteeing that Tavares is leaving. I too would be suprised if he did actually wind up in a different jersey. But for conversations sake....There's nothing wrong with speculating his future.

Seems you're the fragile one. Backes and Shattenkirk wouldn't resign therefore Tavares won't either.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Seems you're the fragile one. Backes and Shattenkirk wouldn't resign therefore Tavares won't either.

It's like you aren't even reading the words DBrownss is saying. It's tough to have a conversation with somebody like this. Fact is DBrownss is 100% accurate. Tavares will probably re-sign with NYI after much back and forth, however until it's a done deal you must consider the possibility that despite the fact that he has stated he wants to stay with the Islanders, he could conceivably go elsewhere. You're gettin pretty uppity about people pointing out this simple reality

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The important distinction to make there is the Blues had a # they weren't going to exceed with Backes so others were going to easily beat their offer. With Tavares the Isles will give him huge money because they pretty much have to. Who knows what Tavares is thinking, all we have are quotes from him to go on and our gut instinct. Maybe he is genuinely considering leaving, but based on the quotes I've seen I would bet he re-signs with the Isles.
money wasnt the issue, it was term.

What kind childish argument is this? Do you not understand the argument? What does Shattenkirk have to do with anything? Why would he sign an extention, knowing the second he does, Armstrong notifies him he is being traded.

Backes would have re-signed if the Blues bumped up the term 1yr. So.....again, you don't get it. He should have been just as fiercely loyal as Tavares, but decided that extra year of security was worth more. He said all the right words to the media for Blues fans to not doubt his commitment to the franchise. He was the teams identity, but in the end, he did what he felt was best for him. There is zero resentment between the fanbase and David Backes.

It's like you aren't even reading the words DBrownss is saying. It's tough to have a conversation with somebody like this. Fact is DBrownss is 100% accurate. Tavares will probably re-sign with NYI after much back and forth, however until it's a done deal you must consider the possibility that despite the fact that he has stated he wants to stay with the Islanders, he could conceivably go elsewhere. You're gettin pretty uppity about people pointing out this simple reality
LOL I even said I would be suprised if he didn't re-sign with the Islanders.

If he doesn't re-sign, its not about the money. I dont think anyone has made an argument that they can't afford him.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, if I'm Tavares I leave there on July 1, the team is going nowhere fast. Tavares is way to good a player to be on a losing team for all his career.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
I see him leaving for sure. Snow really F'd up that nice contract he signed. He should go somewhere else instead of wasting the rest of his career.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island

thank you!

the way I hear the islanders described by non fans--and even some fans--it makes you think that they've been as bad as the Avs for the past 5 years.

this narrative of the "why should he stay with the islanders? They're a joke" is completely false. This is a talented group of guys, that had the same amount of points as last years WC champs, despite the fact that they lost three of their key players, had cappy holding them back, and dealt with the distraction of the 3 goaltender circus etc.

This team is going to a lot better than people expect them to be.

I love when this team proves he naysayers wrong, but it doesn't really matter, because it seems people are only able to remember 1 season at at time. Before last season, CLB wasn't a great team; they have one good year, and all the sudden they're contenders now? I like their team, but come on.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Yeah, if I'm Tavares I leave there on July 1, the team is going nowhere fast. Tavares is way to good a player to be on a losing team for all his career.

-team develops first line power forward who finishes tied 10th in goals in anders lee
-team has promising prospects, three of which are expected to be nhl caliber players this coming season in ryan pulock, josh ho-sang, and mathew barzal
-team upgrades offense by acquiring jordan eberle

"going nowhere"

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
-team develops first line power forward who finishes tied 10th in goals in anders lee
-team has promising prospects, three of which are expected to be nhl caliber players this coming season in ryan pulock, josh ho-sang, and mathew barzal
-team upgrades offense by acquiring jordan eberle

"going nowhere"

These are the same people that will say "wow Isles overpaid Tavares by a ton, good luck resigning Ho Sang, Barzal, Lee, and Pulock when their contracts are up!"

We all know it's coming. :laugh:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What in the blue **** does that have to do with what I said?

Backes played his entire career in Stl, deep ties to the community, and team captain. He took absolute ownership of the captaincy and he left a better team over 1yr and 6 million dollars.

Backes' contract with Boston was his last legitimate chance to cash in. He was 32 when he signed that deal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I do think there's a middle ground between the hyperbolic extremes. The Isles aren't "going nowhere" or a horrible team like some are making them out to be, but at the same time they've never been contenders during JT's time in the league, and are still a couple of pieces away from reaching that level.

So while I think Isles fans have a right to be upset at dismissing them outright as though they're basically Vegas or Colorado, I do think the fact the Isles still aren't a Cup contender could factor into Tavares' decision. He wants to win a Cup, not just make the playoffs every year but flame out in round one. So whether or not he sees this team as ever reaching that elite status could play a big part in his decision to re-sign.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can't quite understand what you said, but you're not really suggesting the Islanders are "on par" with Vegas & Colorado competing for last in the league right? Because a Habs fan whose team desperately needs a #1C and has no viable trade chips to acquire one says so?

Can't bold on phone, I am replyi nh to the not sure what you are saying part i'll break it down,

1. The islanders traded a very good defesnive dman for picks (that screams we want to win now).

2. Yes Eberle was acquired for strome, so you gain 5-10 goals. (Not enough to offset loss of Hamonic).

3. Calvin De Haan, arguably your second best Dman was signed to a one year extension and not protected in expansion draft. He is now an UFA at seasons end.

So you lost a big core piece gained futures, slightly upgraded your top 6, and could very possibly lose another top 4 Dman in a year's time, None of that says we are going to win now. Also what does me being a habs fan have to do with some basic observations.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Backes' contract with Boston was his last legitimate chance to cash in. He was 32 when he signed that deal.

What does this have to do with anything? We're talking about what "loyal" players say to the media.

Doug Armstrong was comfortable with the 6m cap hit, he was only comfortable with a 4yr deal then 1yr deals till retirement. Backes signed the guaranteed 5yr deal from Boston. He went against all of his media talk over a 1yr guarentee. He left a team that just went to the WCFs for the first time in over a decade that he captianed.

I fail to see why Tavares has any more reason to be loyal then Backes. Im not going to argue with Islander fans as to how their team is trending, I watch them 2x a year. I will however argue that there are teams he may look at that have a much better chance of winning a championship with while getting his payday.

St. Louis(walks into a golden situation)
Nashville(walks into a golden situation)
Montreal(eh.....not as golden)
Etc.....

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think Tavares is staying with the isles. They have to find a way to keep him. But if management feels like theyre not, then they should trade him for as many prospects and picks they can get. They already have alot of picks they will find a some diamonds in the next 2 or 3 drafts

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Can't bold on phone, I am replyi nh to the not sure what you are saying part i'll break it down,

1. The islanders traded a very good defesnive dman for picks (that screams we want to win now).

2. Yes Eberle was acquired for strome, so you gain 5-10 goals. (Not enough to offset loss of Hamonic).

3. Calvin De Haan, arguably your second best Dman was signed to a one year extension and not protected in expansion draft. He is now an UFA at seasons end.

So you lost a big core piece gained futures, slightly upgraded your top 6, and could very possibly lose another top 4 Dman in a year's time, None of that says we are going to win now. Also what does me being a habs fan have to do with some basic observations.

hamonic was terrible last season

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
that's the thing tho, Lebron seems like somewhat of good guy, but there's no way in hell he has the integrity of John Tavares.

also, I'm sure cleveland has its nice areas, but its nowhere near as good as NYC/LI

Why doesn't he have integrity of John Tavares? He's the greatest player of his generation if not all time. You know how much scrutiny he's been under his entire career? He can't be the greatest because he doesn't have any rings. That's all you ever heard. And now there's not much you can say against him.

If Gretzky never won anything cups and stayed in Edmonton his whole career would he be remembered the same? What about Crosby, if he hadn't won any cups how would his legacy hold up over time?

LeBron was given a chance to take his career to the next level, one that he couldn't have had in Cleveland at the time. Obviously the NHL and NBA are way different, but if Tavares wants to leave he's not going to come out and say before the season starts that he doesn't wanna be in NYI unless there's a serious problem. Nothing is guaranteed.

That being said I expect him to stay in NY as long as they figure out the arena situation.

And when it comes to Cleveland and LeBron, when you make the money he makes, where you live doesn't matter.

And Tavares in Columbus, obviously can't be compared to NY. But for maturing hockey players who are starting a family, Columbus is a VERY attractive City. Tavares walks in and would instantly be the face of franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad