Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Makes sense for him to wait and see whats out there. Might just pull a Stamkos and re-sign if there's nothing he likes. Probably can't work in Toronto now with the big 3 going to take up cap space. Would imagine Montreal would go all in.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If I'm the Blues management, I throw the farm at the Isles and try to land Tavares at the TDL, with the intention of selling him on the notion of staying long-term.

Tavares and St. Louis would be a match made in heaven.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Assuming the arena stuff is figured out and management shows that they are dedicated to build a winner, I think he stays.

If he hits the market looking for a new home, I think Columbus, Montreal and Nashville are great fits.

Artemi Panarin - John Tavares - Josh Anderson
Boone Jenner - Alex Wennberg - Cam Atkinson
PL Dubois - Brandon Dubinsky - Nick Foligno
??? - Lukas Sedlak - Oliver Bjokstrand

or

Max Pacioretty - John Tavares - Brendan Gallagher
Jonathan Drouin - Alex Galchneyuk - Arturri Lekhonen
Paul Byron - Phillip Danault - Andrew Shaw
Jacob De La Rose - Michael McCarron - ???

or

Filip Forsberg - Ryan Johansen - Pontus Aberg
Kevin Fiala - John Tavares - Victor Arvidsson
Calle Jarnkrok - Nick Bonino - Craig Smith
Miikka Salomaki - Colton Sissons - Austin Watson

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I would absolutely love to see him in MTL. I think there is a possibility since it would be a great fit. MTL has the money, the players to play him with, some strong links with Team Canada players (Price, Weber) and the window. Actually missing a piece like JT.

That said, it COULD only happen if he choses to hit the market. And then it's like a dice rolling, anything can happen depending on HIS impressions and desires.

Wish him the best of luck.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
I would absolutely love to see him in MTL. I think there is a possibility since it would be a great fit. MTL has the money, the players to play him with, some strong links with Team Canada players (Price, Weber) and the window. Actually missing a piece like JT.

That said, it COULD only happen if he choses to hit the market. And then it's like a dice rolling, anything can happen depending on HIS impressions and desires.

Wish him the best of luck.

Yea, he needs to view himself as the missing piece to a contender, which he would be on the Habs. We have a #1 at every position other than C. With him, Habs have as good a shot as any.

With that being said, he'd be the missing piece that put a couple teams over the top, as others have mentioned, NSH & CLB come to mind.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He'll take quite the discount to come home. So will Doughty too btw.

Look, Stamkos went off script, but Johnny T would never. And neither would Doughty.

:sarcasm:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Isles have a really good season and make the playoffs. Summer 2018 is then all about JT.

Seeing how the Bolts have dominated the Isles, i could see JT having some serious interest.

Yzerman is sick of Stammer getting hurt, so he goes balls to the wall and unloads Callahan's contract, let's Kunitz, Condra and Sustr walk. Bam 14.25M in cap space (not counting possible raise in cap).

Then he offers JT 8 yrs, 9.5M and JT takes it due to favorable taxes, and he doesn't want to be the highest paid player on the team by too much (Stamkos 8.5M)

18-19 Bolts

Killorn - Stamkos - Kucherov
Namestnikov - Tavares - Point
Palat - Johnson - Erne
Paquette - Gourde - J.T. Brown
Dumont

Hedman - Sergachev
Koekkoek - Stralman
Coburn - Girardi
Dotchin

Vasi
Budaj

= believe it or not, that's ~72M, and if the cap goes up by a few million, they'd still have around 5M to play with in FA...

GG bois.

Or he just stays in Long Island.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would love to see Carolina make a play. They have the cap space to add him without depleting their depth. His age fits right in with the team. They are on the upswing and provided Darling is at least average, they'd instantly become a contender. If it's as a UFA:

Skinner-Tavares-Williams
Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Teravainen-Rask-Gauthier
Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn
DiGuisseppe

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-TVR
Bean/McKeown

Darling
???

Necas, Kuokkanen, Roy, Wallmark, Saarela, Zykov, etc..still in the system to provide depth.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If he were to explore UFA, I think Nashville would be the front runner.

Tavares and Subban are close, they are a Cup Finals team that's window is closer to when it opened than it is closing, not a huge media market, and lots of high end talent on offense and defense.

Veteran, professional, GM with conscious cap structures.

I honestly would be shocked if he chose a place like Montreal, he likes to lay low off the ice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If the Isles let him walk via free agency they should just fold up the organization.

Trade him if you can't get a deal done.

Maybe a deal to St. Louis around Fabbri + Dunn + 2019 1st

If he does make it to UFA, Montreal will offer him a max deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad