Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
If I were the Leafs I'd approach him with a one year deal.

That's pretty well the only offer they could make, one year, $15 million.

Of course, he'd get a long term $10 million per from quite a few other teams, so it's highly unlikely he'd sign, but it would get his attention for a minute or two. If he didn't get injured, he'd still get the long term deal after that year from someone else, but is it worth the risk. No agent would say it was.

Regardless, players of his caliber never make it to July 1st, so I expect he'll re-sign with the Islanders. Familiarity, and that extra year, weigh heavy in this kind of decision.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
That's pretty well the only offer they could make, one year, $15 million.

Of course, he'd get a long term $10 million per from quite a few other teams, so it's highly unlikely he'd sign, but it would get his attention for a minute or two. If he didn't get injured, he'd still get the long term deal after that year from someone else, but is it worth the risk. No agent would say it was.

Regardless, players of his caliber never make it to July 1st, so I expect he'll re-sign with the Islanders. Familiarity, and that extra year, weigh heavy in this kind of decision.

I think playing in a semi decent rink and playing on a team that is much more closer to going all the way might sway him in another direction and having an extra year? I don't know how important that is ultimately

There is no way that he'd ever sign a one year deal instead of locking up a long term contract and getting a payday with no uncertainties of the chance presenting itself again

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Based on the quotes I've seen from Tavares himself he seems like a guy who wants to stay with the organization that drafted him.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Seems like Tavares has some insider knowledge. Rumor has it he recently bought a 1.5-2 million dollar house somewhere in Nassau county. You don't drop that kind of bank when you're uncertain about your teams future, even if you're poised for a massive payday.
That's literally just a standard house in a lot of areas for someone who makes/will make his coin.
That actually suggests to me that's he's at least thinking of leaving.

If he was committed to staying, that house would be 10 million+

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That's literally just a standard house in a lot of areas for someone who makes/will make his coin.
That actually suggests to me that's he's at least thinking of leaving.

If he was committed to staying, that house would be 10 million+

Wow, this post is simply amazing. For all the arguments to be made for Tavares wanting to bolt, this one takes the cake.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If I was sponsoring Tavares to use my company's equipment... I rather have him the big cheese of a team then playing 2nd fiddle, even in a large market like Toronto. I just wouldn't want my product being 2nd fiddle if my competition was endorsing Matthews.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
star players in the nhl have proven to be very loyal, he may switch teams but the odds of him staying are high imo

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
JT doesn't seem like the kind of person who would ditch the Islanders like that.

I think he knows the long-term ramifications of him leaving could potentially be dire for the franchise, especially if they loose him for nothing, and the team stinks for the next few years.

Over the past 8 years, I haven't seen a single thing that makes me think that JT is lying when he says he loves playing here, and wants to lead this team to the promised land........

Am I concerned that he might leave? Yea, of course I am, but I'd be more surprised if he didn't re-sign, than if he did.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
JT doesn't seem like the kind of person who would ditch the Islanders like that.

I think he knows the long-term ramifications of him leaving could potentially be dire for the franchise, especially if they loose him for nothing, and the team stinks for the next few years.

Over the past 8 years, I haven't seen a single thing that makes me think that JT is lying when he says he loves playing here, and wants to lead this team to the promised land........

Am I concerned that he might leave? Yea, of course I am, but I'd be more surprised if he didn't re-sign, than if he did.

LeBron said the same thing about Cleveland...and he was from there.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

He is entering his 9th season with the Islanders. In no world would it be fair to say that leaving after playing 8-9 seasons for the team that drafted you is "ditching" them. They haven't exactly gone all out to show him they want to compete with the big boys, either.

The amount of loyalty expected by some fans is mind boggling.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Logic says Tavares stays in Long Island.

It would be cool to see the Leafs somehow pick him up for a year at a big cap hit (in and around 10 million+.

It's nice to dream.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Logic says Tavares stays in Long Island.

It would be cool to see the Leafs somehow pick him up for a year at a big cap hit (in and around 10 million+.

It's nice to dream.

It would be a nice dream, however Tavares would have to be disabled to sign a one year deal. He's cashing out with or without the islanders

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Tavares isn't re-signing with the Islanders, there's a reasonably high chance he won't make it to July 1st. The Islanders and Tavares might work together to send him somewhere he wants to be with the implication being that an extension will get worked on with the new team. The Islanders will get a better return as a result, the new team will get Tavares as a long term piece, and Tavares will get the security of having his big contract signed and delivered without having to risk playing an entire season of hockey.

So all this talk about "oh the Leafs have this cap space next year", unless Tavares does what players rarely do and insists on hitting the open market on July 1st, acquiring Tavares will likely cost the Leafs something big.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It would be a nice dream, however Tavares would have to be disabled to sign a one year deal. He's cashing out with or without the islanders

I'm gonna say without, unless a deal gets done before the season.
different scenario with stamkos where they were willing to let him walk if he wanted too much, but stamkos had his heart set on staying.
tavares says the right things, but i think he is 50/50 on staying

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Based on the quotes I've seen from Tavares himself he seems like a guy who wants to stay with the organization that drafted him.

I dont doubt his intentions to stay in NY but every player says this. It's surprising when a player will publicly say they're looking at free agency, especially at his age. I think he pulls a Stamkos and signs at the last minute. Also, what Button has said is absurd. Tavares never came off as one to chase money but it makes zero sense to sign a one year deal anywhere at his age. Financial security is important no matter how greedy or sated you are.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
As a Leafs fan, I hope Tavares signs long term with the Islanders.

Leafs need to focus on getting Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to sign extensions and then find another quality D-man.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You're really going to compare the NBA to the NHL? :help:

No. I'm comparing two people with a desire to win. If Tavares doesn't think he can win in NYI in the next 5-8 years than he won't re-sign in NY.

What sport they play has nothing to do with it. If Tavares wants to take control of his career then he will, as did LeBron. Stars like Tavares NEVER hit the market. I'm not saying he will, but he could make this a HUGE spectacle if he wanted. And I'm sure his agent will be in his ear$

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
He is entering his 9th season with the Islanders. In no world would it be fair to say that leaving after playing 8-9 seasons for the team that drafted you is "ditching" them. They haven't exactly gone all out to show him they want to compete with the big boys, either.

The amount of loyalty expected by some fans is mind boggling.

In this case it's not fan speculation so much as it is comments made by Tavares himself inferring that he regards staying with the same team his entire career as a good thing.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
In this case it's not fan speculation so much as it is comments made by Tavares himself inferring that he regards staying with the same team his entire career as a good thing.

David Backes said the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad