Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I made an edit to include more of a reason, so it doesn't come off as more of a hate post.

I was ready for the McDavid comparison and also you were ready for the UFA argument. I think it holds, all UFA years. Impact and all of that applies too. 34 when he ends.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Without a true #1 C in its prospect pool, Detroit would be one of the front runners if or when he becomes a UFA.

But I do suspect if things go sideways, NYI would trade him for a king's ransom come trade deadline day and then, Detroit doesn't have enough.

JT could always be that piece that piece acquired in hopes of putting a team over the top, but not a long-term fit. Shattenkirk like in my mind.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Well if NYI isn't good enough for John Tavares why would it be for Jonathan Toews who actually has won something. He's also been on a team deemed a contender damn near every year of his career. Guys with a guaranteed contract and a NMC just aren't going to make that move unless they are from the area or the team is really good.

Go back a read the articles I posted ... Tarvares isn't going anywhere... so this whole thread is moot IMO, but I enjoy reading some of the insanity. You've also completely missed the point. I wasn't saying playing for the Islanders is better than Chicago I was saying it's not as bad as that fella seems to believe.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
That's fine, you probably shouldn't be in these threads anyway. You obviously can't handle the thought of JT leaving when everyone outside of NYI is talking about it.

a large amount of people outside of the ny market tend to just ignore the islanders and assume we suck. a thread is created by a non islanders fan saying tavares is going to leave, we're clearly going to say no as we always do, and then we're told things about our team that are literally not even true. you can't seriously expect us to have a passive discussion.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
That's fine, you probably shouldn't be in these threads anyway. You obviously can't handle the thought of JT leaving when everyone outside of NYI is talking about it.

And you probably shouldn't be in these threads if you think that Shattenkirk is on Tavares' level as a player.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am surprised he stuck around as like as he did, the fact is he's been with them since 2009 and at no point have they made any effort to put a team around him, they play in New York it shouldn't be that hard to get guys to come play for you because again, it's New York guys will always want to play in New York

Even this season you could have had both Eberle and JVR this past off season and you would have had the start of a decent supporting cast for JT.

Instead you traded Hamonic for draft picks and got nothing back for him that can help today and if they want to keep JT they need help today Eberle is a start but it is not enough

they NYI haven't done enough since 2009

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I am surprised he stuck around as like as he did, the fact is he's been with them since 2009 and at no point have they made any effort to put a team around him, they play in New York it shouldn't be that hard to get guys to come play for you because again, it's New York guys will always want to play in New York

Even this season you could have had both Eberle and JVR this past off season and you would have had the start of a decent supporting cast for JT.

Instead you traded Hamonic for draft picks and got nothing back for him that can help today and if they want to keep JT they need help today Eberle is a start but it is not enough

JVR didn't waive for us.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Without a true #1 C in its prospect pool, Detroit would be one of the front runners if or when he becomes a UFA.

But I do suspect if things go sideways, NYI would trade him for a king's ransom come trade deadline day and then, Detroit doesn't have enough.
Why? Detroit has a bleak future. If he just wants money(all Detroit can offer) he'll just stay in New York.

And you probably shouldn't be in these threads if you think that Shattenkirk is on Tavares' level as a player.
I dont think you understand the context of that comparisson.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
a large amount of people outside of the ny market tend to just ignore the islanders and assume we suck. a thread is created by a non islanders fan saying tavares is going to leave, we're clearly going to say no as we always do, and then we're told things about our team that are literally not even true. you can't seriously expect us to have a passive discussion.

No one has really said they sucked though.

The key issues;

Team has no certainty of where they are going to be. Most players take that as a negative when looking at 7-8 year deal.

The team may not suck, but it missed the playoffs last year and JT has had 24 playoff games in 8 years. Again most players looking at a long-term contract probably want the team to be heading in the right direction. Yes they have Weight and things looked better, but that was for how many games?

Yes he could still sign, but if the Isles don't make the playoffs or are bounced in 4 or 5 games why would he stay?

Longislandsounds

Aug 17, 2017
No one has really said they sucked though.

The key issues;

Team has no certainty of where they are going to be. Most players take that as a negative when looking at 7-8 year deal.

The team may not suck, but it missed the playoffs last year and JT has had 24 playoff games in 8 years. Again most players looking at a long-term contract probably want the team to be heading in the right direction. Yes they have Weight and things looked better, but that was for how many games?

Yes he could still sign, but if the Isles don't make the playoffs or are bounced in 4 or 5 games why would he stay?

Seems like Tavares has some insider knowledge. Rumor has it he recently bought a 1.5-2 million dollar house somewhere in Nassau county. You don't drop that kind of bank when you're uncertain about your teams future, even if you're poised for a massive payday.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Seems like Tavares has some insider knowledge. Rumor has it he recently bought a 1.5-2 million dollar house somewhere in Nassau county. You don't drop that kind of bank when you're uncertain about your teams future, even if you're poised for a massive payday.

Link to the rumor?

Also, of course he would have some insider knowledge. He holds a good amount of managements fate in his hands depending on if he stays or goes.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I'm Bitter Calgary Got Hamonic Because My Team Needs RHD: The Post.

JVR didn't waive for us.

It was JVR wouldn't negotiate a "trade-and-sign" extension with us, not JVR wouldn't waive for us.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

Depending on which town, a 1.5 to 2 million dollar house in Nassau County is considered just an above average house.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm Bitter Calgary Got Hamonic Because My Team Needs RHD: The Post.

It was JVR wouldn't negotiate a "trade-and-sign" extension with us, not JVR wouldn't waive for us.

Not at all just calling it as I see it, truth is I was more annoyed with Hammer going to Arizona and Methot to Dallas because they both went for basically nothing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs cant get him cus they spent $6.25M on Marleau.

they have almost 30 million in cap space at the end of the season, that does not include the rise in the cap, which will happen with Vegas in the NHL, they could easily do it.

Will they? not likely but saying they can't? that just isn't true

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I know it's highly highly unlikely and would require a lot of pieces moving, but I'd like to see JT on the Rangers.

Just to see the social media ********* that would follow.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Your username definitely may explain this post.

Other than the obvious brain fart Yzerman/Shanahan switcheroo, how is he wrong?

The Isles were a joke before Tavares got there. They have had (by the tamest of measures) mild success since.

The situations for Stamkos then and Tavares now could not be more different. The only similarity really is that both are former 1st overall picks from the GTA.

I suppose anything is possible and he stays with NYI. If I were an Isles fan I would be more than a little worried he hasn't re-signed by mid August entering the final season of his contract.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Any 4 prospects, young players or picks from Boston that doesn't include the names Pastrnak or McAvoy - as you add JT to put you over the top - not create other holes in your line-up.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
I get Tavares being a team guy which he's shown but guys who want to stay long term with a franchise don't hold them hostage and often re-sign. Stamkos is the exception not the rule. If I'm the Isles I start making calls to see what the offers are. A full season of Tavares is worth a lot more on the trade market versus dealing him at the deadline. Those assets don't have to be held for the future they can be dealt at the draft or next off-season for immediate NHL help. If they play their cards right I think they can still remain a playoff team through smart asset management but letting him walk for nothing and that could set the franchise back a few years....see the Devils and Parise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->