Speculation: John Tavares Mega Thread

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
He will stay with islanders. Same thing as Stamkos, it's just media talk for contracts

Stamkos GM is Shanahan, Tavares GM is Snow - which one seems to know what they are doing?

Stamkos team has arena stability - Tavares team has a car parked in prime seating area.

Stamkos home state has zero income tax - Tavares team is in one of the most taxed locales in the United States.

Stamkos team has demonstrated the ability to advance deep in the playoffs - Tavares team?.....well..you know.

Stamkos goes to his office wearing sunglasses - Tavares goes wearing mittens and lip balm.

There are probably more things I could identify, but I'm going to stop at 5. Those are just 5 reason why I disagree that it is absolutely not "same thing as Stamkos".

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Stamkos GM is Shanahan, Tavares GM is Snow - which one seems to know what they are doing?

Stamkos team has arena stability - Tavares team has a car parked in prime seating area.

Stamkos home state has zero income tax - Tavares team is in one of the most taxed locales in the United States.

Stamkos team has demonstrated the ability to advance deep in the playoffs - Tavares team?.....well..you know.

Stamkos goes to his office wearing sunglasses - Tavares goes wearing mittens and lip balm.

There are probably more things I could identify, but I'm going to stop at 5. Those are just 5 reason why I disagree that it is absolutely not "same thing as Stamkos".

:help:

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island

This is probably where you should have stopped :help:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He comes home to TO on a One year @ cap max then extend after January 1st for max term at a front loaded/signing bonus laden deal that gets him upwards of $90m total.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Landing a player that big via UFA isn't in Yzerman's style. Unless Tavares plays for what we tell him to he's not gonna go to the Lightning. If he does then that means Tavares really, really.... re-he-he-heeeeellllllyyyyyy wants to play here.

I'll believe Tavares to Tampa when it happens

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stamkos GM is Shanahan

giphy.gif

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Honestly if he won't sign a new deal with the Islanders Chicago should be all over it.

A one for one swap for Toews right now, assuming Tavares signs a new deal with Chicago.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honestly if he won't sign a new deal with the Islanders Chicago should be all over it.

A one for one swap for Toews right now, assuming Tavares signs a new deal with Chicago.

I'm sure Jonathan Toews would love to waive his NMC to go play for the New York Islanders.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Your username definitely may explain this post.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If management makes it clear they want to move on do you really see Toews being a baby and going "NO! I wanna play in chicagoooooooo"

Probably. And if not he sure as hell wont be choosing the Islanders. NMC's give players security. He likely left money on the table to get that NMC. He has every right to use it.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
It is worth a shot if you are Stan.

Though I imagine John might come in and try to stop it as to not to hurt all the 16 year olds with their "Marry me Tazer!" signs :laugh:

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Probably. And if not he sure as hell wont be choosing the Islanders. NMC's give players security. He likely left money on the table to get that NMC. He has every right to use it.

Your Sh!tter is full ... make it seem like playing for the Islanders is worse than death. C'mon.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Can sign a 70M+ deal the next year.

Doesn't usually happen in hockey but it does in the NBA frequently. Toronto would be potentially be a contender next year without him, but would also have the ability to free up space to get him on a one year deal. If he really wanted to go win somewhere that'd be a decent 'bet' he could make.

In the NBA a team only needs 3 superstars to win a title. They play like 40/48 minutes of a game anyways. They are only benched when the score is out of hand. In hockey you need 23 + men (injuries will happen) in order to have a chance to compete at the cup.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Your Sh!tter is full ... make it seem like playing for the Islanders is worse than death. C'mon.

Well if NYI isn't good enough for John Tavares why would it be for Jonathan Toews who actually has won something. He's also been on a team deemed a contender damn near every year of his career. Guys with a guaranteed contract and a NMC just aren't going to make that move unless they are from the area or the team is really good.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Without a true #1 C in its prospect pool, Detroit would be one of the front runners if or when he becomes a UFA.

But I do suspect if things go sideways, NYI would trade him for a king's ransom come trade deadline day and then, Detroit doesn't have enough.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If management makes it clear they want to move on do you really see Toews being a baby and going "NO! I wanna play in chicagoooooooo"

I could see him thinking about a move, but not to a team who's current franchise player has issues that Toews would have as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->