Sportsnet: John Shannon "ROR's value is a 2nd round pick"

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If he was a leaf you would be demanding a top 5 pick, prospect and a player your post history is incredibly consistent. You see everything through blue and white glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
no he definitely meant ROR is worth a 2nd round pick not even a mid 1st rounder. he also said this about Auston Mathews and Mike Babcock

The sad thing is, some of the posters dismissing ROR being valued at a 2nd are the same ones over that the Matthews/Babcock thread claiming his word is gospel.

Reactions: Drew311

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
no he definitely meant ROR is worth a 2nd round pick not even a mid 1st rounder. he also said this about Auston Mathews and Mike Babcock

Of course not . He an American kid why would he want the cold weather of Canada and the abuse of media and fans of the TML . He will be back in the USA playing hockey sooner or later .

Reason I hate drafting American kids as they are most likely to want to play in their own country sooner or later . I see it happen with Yamamoto .

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If he was a leaf you would be demanding a top 5 pick, prospect and a player your post history is incredibly consistent. You see everything through blue and white glasses.
So your argument is just a bunch of bundled up hate and incorrect glasses colours...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hacked account? Drunk?

I don't think his value is what Sabres fan feel, but it's a lot closer to that than a 2nd round pick.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Of course not . He an American kid why would he want the cold weather of Canada and the abuse of media and fans of the TML . He will be back in the USA playing hockey sooner or later .

Reason I hate drafting American kids as they are most likely to want to play in their own country sooner or later . I see it happen with Yamamoto .

There are examples of Canadian players that prefer playing in the USA as well; e.g. Rick Nash.

I assume the bolded is complete speculation? I don't have anything bad to say about the kid so far, or have any reason to believe he is a flight risk.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
While I don't think he is worth just a second, I have to question why people feel he is worth so much. He is effectively a 50 to 60 point 2nd line center who is making 7.5 a year. Not only that this will be his 3rd NHL team.

Granted you could say he is a 1st line center on a team with poor scoring down the middle but Ideally you want him behind your top center taking on other teams top lines.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If Jason Botterill trades ROR for a 2nd round pick, he should be immediately fired on the spot.

That would make Buffalo so insanely worse as a team it's not even funny.

You strip away ROR and all the responsibilities he has on the Sabres, and replace him with basically nothing... yikes.

Honestly though, why are we even discussing what Shannon said? The guys an idiot.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ok..so we established ROR is worth more than a 2nd round pick.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just shows the quality of Sportsnet. Guy should be fired for such a dumb comment.
There is a policy against firing for stupid comments on Sportsnet.
last November via Kypreos
....Marner will never be a top 6 forward on the leafs
....Marner should be traded immediately for Darnell Nurse

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
While I don't think he is worth just a second, I have to question why people feel he is worth so much. He is effectively a 50 to 60 point 2nd line center who is making 7.5 a year. Not only that this will be his 3rd NHL team.

Granted you could say he is a 1st line center on a team with poor scoring down the middle but Ideally you want him behind your top center taking on other teams top lines.
I don't know? Could it be he is the top face off artist in a league where puck possession is everything and this player just broke the most face off wins in an NHL season record?
Or could it be his 2 way play is described by all of the big hockey analysts as one of the top 5 in the league?
Or maybe they combine those skills with his 55 to 65 points a season average on a current roster that has been in full on rebuild mode over the first couple of seasons he's been in Buffalo all while performing the above mentioned skills/abilities while going through said situation?
Or, maybe, just maybe, that front end loaded contract, given the aforementioned skills, is appetizing to more than just a handful of teams when reviewing the last 4 years of that contract at 6 mil a season in actual salary.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and...….just spiff-balling here...….but I'm going to say Ryan O'Reilly, currently in his prime which this current contract runs through, is a significant asset that many teams would consider paying a price to get given, once again, the above mentioned attributes.

Reactions: truthbluth

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There are examples of Canadian players that prefer playing in the USA as well; e.g. Rick Nash.

I assume the bolded is complete speculation? I don't have anything bad to say about the kid so far, or have any reason to believe he is a flight risk.
If I were a kid entering the NHL, I would prefer to be with a Canadian team so I can drink a beer after most of my games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad