Sportsnet: John Shannon "ROR's value is a 2nd round pick"

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This is pretty clearly his opinion though, rumours from guys like LeBrun is that the price is significantly higher.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He can not be serious or he is being played

While some might call him over paid at 7.5 it is not that much of an overpayment--he can be counted on for between 55 to 60 pts and he plays a strong two way game

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
This is pretty clearly his opinion though, rumours from guys like LeBrun is that the price is significantly higher.
Agreed. Although I will say, as a Sabres fan, his value in any trade will almost assuredly be dictated by the team trading for him, not the Sabres. I.E. slightly inflated.
It's merely my opinion but honestly, GM Botterill has no real reason to move him unless the deal works for the Sabres.

I guess we'll see this off season, if anything happens. Personally, my money is on next off season, when his actual salary for the remaining 4 years past this coming season is 6 mil.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Agreed. Although I will say, as a Sabres fan, his value in any trade will almost assuredly be dictated by the team trading for him, not the Sabres. I.E. slightly inflated.
It's merely my opinion but honestly, GM Botterill has no real reason to move him unless the deal works for the Sabres.

I guess we'll see this off season, if anything happens. Personally, my money is on next off season, when his actual salary for the remaining 4 years past this coming season is 6 mil.

All prices are set by demand, but they can be deflated too. If its deflated, it depends on if Buffalo thinks the offer still helps their plan moving forward more than keeping ROR.

Reactions: Yatzhee

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
These insiders often say what they are told to say. They pay for their sources by doing favors.

It makes you wonder if another team wanted him to throw that out there trying to get Botterill to flinch, or if Botterill is throwing that out to temper expectations, so if he gets more he looks like a hero.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
These insiders often say what they are told to say. They pay for their sources by doing favors.

It makes you wonder if another team wanted him to throw that out there trying to get Botterill to flinch, or if Botterill is throwing that out to temper expectations, so if he gets more he looks like a hero.

Shannon is more of a broadcaster and "pundit" than an insider.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Maybe Buffalo gets a mid prospect added to the 2nd round pick to complete a trade

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lol who is this guy?

If ROR value was a 2nd round pick you would have 30 teams offering a 2nd round pick and then the price would go up from there.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
John Shannan is a reporter dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

He said OReillys worth a 2nd dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I just don’t get his point about his contract.
If Buffalo waits till July 1st, he only costs $1M in actual money this year. The last 4yrs he’s making around $6M in actual cash, which is less then his cap hit.

Also, regarding his cap hit, I just don’t understand how $7.5 is overpayment for a good #2? And O’Reilly is really a mid-#1 C. I’d say if you lined up all the centers in the league he’s in the 17-22 range, depending on what you want out of your guy.

But if you look at McDavid/Eichel/Matthews (when it’s done) contracts, along with Toews & Kopitar that are a couple years old, $7.5M for a player like O’Reilly is definitely fair, if not a bit of a bargain.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Well there goes my hope of hockey never having its own Skip Bayless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad