Sportsnet: John Shannon "ROR's value is a 2nd round pick"

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No one in their right mind thinks ROR is worth only a 2nd. Or a 2nd with some parsley. These are jokes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
If it was, one would imagine there would have been a press conference by some team welcoming ROR to the team.

Assuming his value is a draft pick, Buff would have limited partners based on the 7.5mil cap hit. So you'd have to assume a player would be going back as well.

Being an Oilers fan, desired trade value and actual value mean nothing to me anymore.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton can't afford to pay him but they'll happily give 10th overall before pawning him or Drai off to another team for something worth a helluva lot more.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Assuming his value is a draft pick, Buff would have limited partners based on the 7.5mil cap hit. So you'd have to assume a player would be going back as well.

Being an Oilers fan, desired trade value and actual value mean nothing to me anymore.
As a Leafs fan, i have learned that no matter who the player is, it will at least cost Nylander....and more often than not, with hefty add ons. That, and that every Dman....no matter who, would be the Leafs best Dman AINEC.

Also, Leafs could fit him in...so a 2nd?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wow... that is insulting to the Sabres and ROR. Can't believe this is true?
What one clueless person says about RORs value shouldn't be insulting to the fans.
What would be insulting is if that's what the Sabres took.
Nobody here (other than an attention seeking reporter) thinks that's the true value.
Still going to make fun of it though.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know who John Shannon is and apparently I should keep it that way.
He's good for a laugh once in awhile, but nobody takes him seriously.
No, you're not missing much at all.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
There are examples of Canadian players that prefer playing in the USA as well; e.g. Rick Nash.

I assume the bolded is complete speculation? I don't have anything bad to say about the kid so far, or have any reason to believe he is a flight risk.

Of course it is just my own opinion . Yamamoto comes across as a good kid . I hope he turns out and wants to stay but lets face it Hockey get a lot of attention in Canada if I was a professional player I would not want fans approaching me if I am out for dinner with my wife . In the USA a lot of the time people wouldn't even know a star player if he was sitting beside them

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
So Paul Gaustad was more valuable than ROR is? Interesting. Everything I thought I knew about hockey has just been destroyed by Shannon. I guess we should just buy him out or place him on waivers. Although that 2nd round pick could definitely hasten our rebuild in 4 years..hmm decisions, decisions......

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
If that were true that' his value is a second round draft pick then

To buf
Lucic for cap reasons
2nd 2019

To edm
Ror

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If that were true that' his value is a second round draft pick then

To buf
Lucic for cap reasons
2nd 2019

To edm
Ror
So you're saying ROR's value is about a 4th Rd pick.....

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
John Shannon has to come across as the least knowledgeable "insider" on television. His analysis always seems out to lunch.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Seriously, he just said on Buffalo radio that Ryan O'Reilly is worth a 2nd round draft pick in a trade. His senile reasoning, slow foot speed which in itself is bull****, he's not fast but the guy plays on the big ice internationally A LOT and is never behind the play, and his contract is almost all bonus that gets paid out each year on July 1st. To a team in financial trouble that matters but very few NHL teams right now are in that kind of financial bind.

Man is an idiot.
John Shannon is also the second coming of Bubbles, with those 3 inch thick glasses. He obviously can't actually see O'Reilly when he plays.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
"What kind of value would he have around the league - what would Botteril be trying to get"

Shannon - "...It'd be difficult to sit here and say that they should get a first round pick for him because the value of a first round draft pick might be a lot higher than what Ryan O'Reilly is. One would suspect that it's a second round draft pick for me."

This guy is an idiot and should not be allowed to present his opinion to the masses

Shannon: O'Reilly trade rumors are real

Reactions: normaliswear

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
why is he deemed available in the first place ; does he want out ?
He made a comment in his exit interview effectively saying that there were times this year where he didn't feel as passionate about hockey as he normally would (ie. "lost his love for the game"). IMO, it's honest and understandable given how bad the team was and how frustrating it must've been to be basically out of the playoffs by Thanksgiving.

But people have extrapolated that snipit in all directions, from him wanting out of Buffalo, to Buffalo needing to move him to send a message, etc, etc. Despite no one ever actually saying anything like that.

Though he is in his prime, and the Sabres aren't quite contending yet... and he's a great talent in a valuable position... and we could probably get a really good haul if we traded him... and the team did suck this past year and is probably in need of a shake up (regardless of whether trading ROR is the right "shake up" move). So the trade talk makes some kind of sense, even if most people want to attribute it solely to the comment.

Reactions: Isles72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad