Sportsnet: John Shannon "ROR's value is a 2nd round pick"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
But, even if that was true, shouldn’t common sense rear it’s head?

some talking heads just repeat what they are told and do not think about it or the context they were told the information

the conversation went

"Buffalo is asking a 1st a prospect for ROR--but he is only worth a 2nd"--Shannon reports the second part not the first

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
What don't you understand about this?

I didn't listen to the whole Shannon interview, but the WGR article puts it in a totally different context than you.

Here, once again, this is the context WGR puts it in -

"There have been reports that the Sabres could be looking for a similar return that the Philadelphia Flyers got when they traded forward Mike Richards to the Los Angeles Kings back in 2011. That trade saw Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a second round pick go from the Kings to the Flyers.

While the other assets that the Sabres may inquire about are not known, Shannon believes that a second round pick for O'Reilly is fair, partly given his high salary cap hit."

So Shannon is saying that he doesn't know what other pieces the Sabres will be looking to have included (in a Richards type trade), but the 2nd round pick part of that trade sounds fair to him (as opposed to a 1st plus all that other stuff).

Thats a lot different than him saying ROR is only worth a 2nd round pick in total.

Edit - I just listened to the actual interview. I see what you're saying now. He comes off different than the article frames it. Shannon does make it sound like he means just a 2nd round pick.

But then 1 minute later, while talking about Montreal, he mentions a swap of #3 overall for #32 and ROR if ROR were traded there. So, who tf knows what this guy is talking about... lol.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
ROR will definitely get more than a 2nd round pick. Seriously how does the writer believe this and expect others to believe this? Modern literature seems to be.

Anyways a lot of teams would love to have a big talented player like ROR on their roster. Ive seen him play a few times in person and he can be dominant when he wants to be. I see some similarities to Keith Primeau back in the day. If I was the Lightning I would kick the tires on him and offer Tyler Johnson as one of the bigger pieces. Obviously it would take more but I think TB needs some size at their Center position. They probably wont try to trade for him and I doubt even more that Buffalo would trade him to a division rival. Honestly if I was Buffalo I wouldnt move him. Think it would be a dumb move honestly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR will definitely get more than a 2nd round pick. Seriously how does the writer believe this and expect others to believe this? Modern literature seems to be.

Anyways a lot of teams would love to have a big talented player like ROR on their roster. Ive seen him play a few times in person and he can be dominant when he wants to be. I see some similarities to Keith Primeau back in the day. If I was the Lightning I would kick the tires on him and offer Tyler Johnson as one of the bigger pieces. Obviously it would take more but I think TB needs some size at their Center position. They probably wont try to trade for him and I doubt even more that Buffalo would trade him to a division rival. Honestly if I was Buffalo I wouldnt move him. Think it would be a dumb move honestly.

I'm a Sabres fan in Tampa, and have been a Lightning season ticket holder for many years.... so I'm very familiar with the Lightning roster, prospects, etc

I have zero interest in trading ROR, i think he's simply too valuable and has a rare combination of skills that are hard to find in one player.

I do, however, think he's exactly what Tampa needs to take that final step.

I'm curious... what does a "knock our socks off" offer look like from Tampa? Assuming Tyler Johnson is one of the primary pieces... what else does tampa add to make it so that Buffalo can't say no? Is Sergachev a part of that?

A package of Johnson, Sergachev, Cirelli would be hard to turn down....

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm a Sabres fan in Tampa, and have been a Lightning season ticket holder for many years.... so I'm very familiar with the Lightning roster, prospects, etc

I have zero interest in trading ROR, i think he's simply too valuable and has a rare combination of skills that are hard to find in one player.

I do, however, think he's exactly what Tampa needs to take that final step.

I'm curious... what does a "knock our socks off" offer look like from Tampa? Assuming Tyler Johnson is one of the primary pieces... what else does tampa add to make it so that Buffalo can't say no? Is Sergachev a part of that?

A package of Johnson, Sergachev, Cirelli would be hard to turn down....

Buffalo does that easily but TB doesnt. TB kicks the tires on him but if the price is that big I dont think SY does it. He wouldnt trade Sergachev for Karlsson. I dont think he would for ROR. I agree though that he is exactly what TB needs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Buffalo does that easily but TB doesnt. TB kicks the tires on him but if the price is that big I dont think SY does it. He wouldnt trade Sergachev for Karlsson. I dont think he would for ROR. I agree though that he is exactly what TB needs.

Agreed.

"Buffalo does that easily" is the type of deal I would hope Botterill is looking for. I hope he's not looking for a "best offer", or even a "fair value" deal...

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
How far off would the value be of a ROR for Skinner swap, assuming Skinner would resign with Buffalo? I should probably stick to the Flyers...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why is BUF shopping him? last 3 seasons paced at 64 points. Their best defensive forward, arguably one of the best in the league. Heavy Dzone starts, extremely strong on the dot. He's signed at 7.5M only until 32, so all throughout his prime and maybe 1 year into his decline (IMO He'd easily fetch 7.5M on the open market on July 1).

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Why is BUF shopping him? last 3 seasons paced at 64 points. Their best defensive forward, arguably one of the best in the league. Heavy Dzone starts, extremely strong on the dot. He's signed at 7.5M only until 32, so all throughout his prime and maybe 1 year into his decline (IMO He'd easily fetch 7.5M on the open market on July 1).
Because he's a vegan with a beard and would rather do yoga than play hockey.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
How far off would the value be of a ROR for Skinner swap, assuming Skinner would resign with Buffalo? I should probably stick to the Flyers...

What benefit for buffalo to acquire Skinner, a player with less production, and less skill at defense? To make it worse, they're roughly the same age so Buffalo would need to resign Skinner for more years past his prime.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Not to suggest Buffalo should trade RoR, but that team has a number of holes. About the only place they're strong is center, and the 2018 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad