Confirmed with Link: John MacLean and Scott Allen to join Coyotes Coaching Staff

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How were those Devils forwards at defense? Chayka mentioned they'd be looking for coaches to complement Tocchet, guys who were good at what Tocchet was bad at. Tocchet has a reputation for getting the most out of forwards offensively, so perhaps MacLean's main selling point is something else. Still not the most encouraging sign given he'll be running the powerplay, but there's likely more to this story.

I don't know how to show that statistically among forwards but I'd guess...good? I mean it was the Devils. When they were good, it was total team buy-in on D.

But I would guess that he's really not good at coaching power plays. That's a big ****ing problem.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Morgan said there was discontent last year. That means he either saw it himself firsthand and kept quiet for fear of losing access (the Coyotes PR office is notoriously oversensitive to negative coverage) or he just heard it now and reported it unsourced. Either way, that doesn't speak to independence, integrity or talent as a journalist.
*ding, ding*
Have yourself a chicken dinner.

Even the asst. coach stuff was broken elsewhere. Morgan just "confirmed" the names afterward. He only prints exactly what the team wants out there and when.he either doesn't get it before then, or he colludes to sit on it. Either way, it's embarrassing that he's the best of the two reporters who cover them with regularity.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
or not reporting the loss of two of the top marketing people both of whom didn't last a year.
I don't know anyone in a leadership or business position that can't see what a cluster that is.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don't know how to show that statistically among forwards but I'd guess...good? I mean it was the Devils. When they were good, it was total team buy-in on D.

But I would guess that he's really not good at coaching power plays. That's a big ****ing problem.

I mean, the data from his past teams doesn't lie, obviously. But I wouldn't say it's a big problem at this point until we get into the season a little bit and see how things are going. Chayka and Tocchet wouldn't have made the decision to bring him on if they were genuinely concerned about it, right? I'm not sure what kind of talent he was working with on his other teams but I'd wager he didnt' have an OEL running point on the PP - or some of the incredible playmakers that we have like Domi, Strome, Keller who can make precise passes with virtually no room. I think I'm just going to stay in cautiously optimistic mode for a while until we get at least a quarter of the way through the season and see how the PP is doing...

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :13-14 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 28/30 : GF Rank- 22/30
2. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :12-13 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 29/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
3. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :11-12 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 20/30 : GF Rank- 16/30
4. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :08-09 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 16/30 : GF Rank- 15/30
5. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :07-08 :NJD: 4th Seed in East : PP% Rank- 24/30 : GF Rank- 27/30
6. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :06-07 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 15/30 : GF Rank- 27/30
7. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :05-06 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 18/30 : GF Rank- 22/30
8. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :03-04 :NJD: 6th Seed in East : PP% Rank- 14/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
9. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :02-03 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 30/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
Avg PP% Rank - 22/30
Avg GF Rank - 19/30

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
2 out of 3 on those CAR teams right smack in the middle of the pack being outside the playoffs...not terrible.

rt

May 13, 2004
2 out of 3 on those CAR teams right smack in the middle of the pack being outside the playoffs...not terrible.

The Jersey teams were just great defensively and were very defensively oriented in general. They won games because of it.

Carolina was just not all that good. Mediocre. That 12/13 season where they ranked 14th in GF but 28th in PP% is concerning.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
1. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :13-14 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 28/30 : GF Rank- 22/30
2. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :12-13 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 29/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
3. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :11-12 :CAR: Outside Playoffs : PP% Rank- 20/30 : GF Rank- 16/30
4. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :08-09 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 16/30 : GF Rank- 15/30
5. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :07-08 :NJD: 4th Seed in East : PP% Rank- 24/30 : GF Rank- 27/30
6. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :06-07 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 15/30 : GF Rank- 27/30
7. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :05-06 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 18/30 : GF Rank- 22/30
8. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :03-04 :NJD: 6th Seed in East : PP% Rank- 14/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
9. Assistant Coach (Forwards & PP) :02-03 :NJD: Division Winners : PP% Rank- 30/30 : GF Rank- 14/30
Avg PP% Rank - 22/30
Avg GF Rank - 19/30

Thanks for pulling up the numbers. Glad to see the GF is a little better than the PP numbers. Not world beating by any stretch, but as mentioned, the Devils have never been known as an offensive powerhouse. Even when they were winning Cups.

MacLean was interviewed on NHL Network tonight. Hope they post it soon. Curious to see what he has to say.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The Jersey teams were just great defensively and were very defensively oriented in general. They won games because of it.

Carolina was just not all that good. Mediocre. That 12/13 season where they ranked 14th in GF but 28th in PP% is concerning.

A little maybe, yeah. But it's also Carolina. What talent have they ever had there other than the Staals, and Skinner more recently? Some decent players, but nothing even close to the level of potential offensive talent that we're sporting right now...and nothing even remotely close to an OEL on the back end.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What talent have they ever had there other than the Staals, and Skinner more recently? Some decent players, but nothing even close to the level of potential offensive talent that we're sporting right now...and nothing even remotely close to an OEL on the back end.

Of course, OEL (like Duclair) has quite a bit to prove this season. We know there were other factors hindering him throughout the season (which was not really the case for Duclair), but he needs to be much better this season than last, which should be doable with the addition of Hjalms

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
The Allen hire I can understand and appreciate.

The MacLean hire I am extremely skeptical of. I hate to be the Debbie Downer but...

PP% NHL Rank:

02/03 NJD: (First NHL AC Job)
03/04 NJD: 30th out of 30
04/05 NJD: (Lock Out)
05/06 NJD: 18th out of 30
06/07 NJD: 15th out of 30
07/08 NJD: 21th out of 30
08/09 NJD: 16th out of 30
09/10 NJD: (Hired as AHL HC)
10/11 NJD: 29th out of 30 (Promoted to NHL HC and fired mid season)
11/12 CAR: 20th out of 30 (mid season replacement as NHL AC)
12/13 CAR: 29th out of 30
13/14 CAR: 28th out of 30

...this is EXTREMELY damning stuff. I know that I said the "fit is more important than the sum of past accomplishments" but this is REALLY terrible. That's his entire NHL coaching career right there. He's been the Forwards/PP coach every years he's been an NHL AC and he's had a consistently ineffective to terrible PP every single year. All of them are bad. Not one season with an effective PP.

The average PP% Rank of his 8 NHL AC seasons is 22nd out of 30.

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

03/04 NJD: 30th out of 30
04/05 NJD: (Lock Out)
05/06 NJD: 18th out of 30
06/07 NJD: 15th out of 30
07/08 NJD: 21th out of 30
08/09 NJD: 16th out of 30

I think Tocchett will be having alot to say how the PP goes.. I am hoping anyways.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Sullivan took over PP duties because Tocchet wasn't good at it.

Are you certain?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...uffalo-Sabres-head-coach/stories/201706140060

Check 10th paragraph:

"Tocchet, 53, is in a good spot. He wants to be a head coach again but, if he has to remain with the Penguins and continue to work on Sullivan’s staff, it hardly would be the end of the world. Sullivan is big on delegating and gives Tocchet plenty of say about the team’s forwards and power play. There also are worse things than going for a third consecutive Cup."

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Are you certain?

Yes, I'm certain. You're welcome to go ask Penguins fans here on HF. They were ranked 26th before Johnston was fired.

Despite those concerns, when Sullivan took over behind the bench he made it clear that he was going to handle power play duties instead of maligned assistant coach Rick Tocchet. This was a big gamble by the new coach, as a failure to ignite the man advantage for the Pittsburgh Penguins – a unit laden with four superstars – would fall directly on his head.

http://penslabyrinth.com/2016/01/04...mike-sullivans-impact-felt-on-the-power-play/

Tocchet also survived the coaching staff purge in 2015. Johnston and assistant Gary Agnew were canned, but Tocchet remained as Mike Sullivan took over. However, Sullivan did take over the Penguins struggling power play, which limited Tocchet’s duties.

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/rick-tocchet-hunting-coyotes-head-coach-gig/

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yes, I'm certain. You're welcome to go ask Penguins fans here on HF. They were ranked 26th before Johnston was fired.

http://penslabyrinth.com/2016/01/04...mike-sullivans-impact-felt-on-the-power-play/

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/rick-tocchet-hunting-coyotes-head-coach-gig/

Wonder which it is:

http://www.isportsweb.com/2017/07/1...occhet-out-marc-recchi-in-as-assistant-coach/

The powerplay

"Rick Tocchet has been the general of the powerplay since he joined the Penguins’ coaching staff."

I guess if we're not in the room it's all speculation.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The most important thing to come out of this conversation is that there's a pens site called Pen's Labyrinth. That's amazing.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Morgan said there was discontent last year. That means he either saw it himself firsthand and kept quiet for fear of losing access (the Coyotes PR office is notoriously oversensitive to negative coverage) or he just heard it now and reported it unsourced. Either way, that doesn't speak to independence, integrity or talent as a journalist.

Of course they've been sensitive to negative press. Most likely the idea being that, in a market with few followers, only good press is good press. However, I would assume Morgan just now heard of it and I don't know how that shows a lack of talent, or integrity.

or not reporting the loss of two of the top marketing people both of whom didn't last a year.
I don't know anyone in a leadership or business position that can't see what a cluster that is.

You either confuse me, or are confused yourself. Are you saying that the teams "leadership" should make certain all of its internal workings are exposed?

You kept derailing what was otherwise productive conversation, in this springs focus group, despite others within the group trying to explain that the team doesn't have anything to do with what is reported, outside Dave Vest etc.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Of course they've been sensitive to negative press. Most likely the idea being that, in a market with few followers, only good press is good press. However, I would assume Morgan just now heard of it and I don't know how that shows a lack of talent, or integrity.

The sensitivity is counterintuitive. If you threaten to strip outlets of their press credentials in response to mild criticism, those outlets will be less interested in writing about you at all. Burning bridges with the media is not what a good PR office should be doing.

As for Morgan, if there was discontent last year and he's just learning about it now, he hasn't been doing his job. I understand the team would not issue a press release saying they're unhappy with the coaching staff, but Morgan should be talking to sources throughout the organization, even if mostly off the record.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm pretty happy with the Allen hire, still a little mixed on Maclean. At least if the team ever gets into some sort of hostage situation in a skyscraper on Christmas, he'll be able to help out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad