Confirmed with Link: John MacLean and Scott Allen to join Coyotes Coaching Staff

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have the PP solution, Yandle and an impact first line forward. That will cure our PP and 5 on 5 woes, and make whoever is the coach look good. Its about the talent not the coaching.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have the PP solution, Yandle and an impact first line forward. That will cure our PP and 5 on 5 woes, and make whoever is the coach look good. Its about the talent not the coaching.
We aren't getting Yandle and I think Chayka's and RT's idea of a first line forward is different than your's or mine. Who is fast, small, soft, with no scoring ability? That's who we will zero in on, and oh, around 28 years old.

Reactions: RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We aren't getting Yandle and I think Chayka's and RT's idea of a first line forward is different than your's or mine. Who is fast, small, soft, with no scoring ability? That's who we will zero in on, and oh, around 28 years old.
My point was its not the coach that makes a difference. I agree, no Yandle, any sniper forward might help.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My point was its not the coach that makes a difference. I agree, no Yandle, any sniper forward might help.
I think a coach can make a big difference, watch Florida this year, but you are right, it's the players that play the game. It's up to Chayka to deliver the players to RT. I just hope RT doesn't have any or much power on who we go after.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Except adding Yandle or a Yandle type, while curing some PP woes, would open up new problems with our defense.

I'd prefer to find an OEL type, with a scoring touch AND defensive responsibility.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yandle would probably help the powerplay, but he's not going to overhaul it single-handedly.

In five of his seven years here full time, our power play was worse than it is now (14.5%, 14.6, 15.9, 13.5, 14.8 vs 16.2, 16.9 under Tocchet). His last two years here we were at 19.9% and 20.0 on the PP. That is when Newell Brown came to town. Jumped from 14.8% to 19.9 overnight.

So I'm pretty sure a good coach will make more of a difference than Yandle. At least when it comes to the PP.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yandle would probably help the powerplay, but he's not going to overhaul it single-handedly.

In five of his seven years here full time, our power play was worse than it is now (14.5%, 14.6, 15.9, 13.5, 14.8 vs 16.2, 16.9 under Tocchet). His last two years here we were at 19.9% and 20.0 on the PP. That is when Newell Brown came to town. Jumped from 14.8% to 19.9 overnight.

So I'm pretty sure a good coach will make more of a difference than Yandle. At least when it comes to the PP.

Yandle would bring some personality to this team though. A guy to root for. Not only do we have zero stars and only one young player with the potential to develop (if he's traded to Chicago) into a star, we really have very little personality. I look at the whole organization right now and just see blah. Another reason to get Doan back into the fold in some capacity.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They need more people who give a #. If that's Yandle, great. If it's just more third liners who can replace the guys here who don't give a #, that's fine with me now, too.
It's a two-way street, too, I realize. Hard to give a # when you know in November that the season is over, so it'd be nice if ownership/management decided to get these guys some help.
If that's not possible, start on the moose-plan and start dumping futures for guys who give a #. It's not sustainable, but it'd at least help right the culture.
Regardless, I don't know how Keller and co can look themself in the eye at the mirror when Bradley #ing Richardson finished the season with more goals. If that doesn't shame you into putting in a little effort, I'd like you to gtfo.
Our "leadership" core is made of some of the worst offenders in the coasting group.

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They need more people who give a #. If that's Yandle, great. If it's just more third liners who can replace the guys here who don't give a #, that's fine with me now, too.
It's a two-way street, too, I realize. Hard to give a # when you know in November that the season is over, so it'd be nice if ownership/management decided to get these guys some help.
If that's not possible, start on the moose-plan and start dumping futures for guys who give a #. It's not sustainable, but it'd at least help right the culture.
Regardless, I don't know how Keller and co can look themself in the eye at the mirror when Bradley #ing Richardson finished the season with more goals. If that doesn't shame you into putting in a little effort, I'd like you to gtfo.
Our "leadership" core is made of some of the worst offenders in the coasting group.
Over reacting or what. What this team did this year was almost like a miracle on ice. I think almost every player give it their all. Kuemper, of course was the back bone and is mainly the reason we were in it until the end, but we are still very short on high end talent. We are still a team by committee. The effort was definitely there for the most part, talent wasn't.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Jakes said:
. I think almost every player give it their all.

Then we should definitely burn it to the ground, because that was nothing like good enough.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then we should definitely burn it to the ground, because that was nothing like good enough.
We don't have the talent. Cousins, Archibald and Kempe flying around is fun to watch but you don't get much more. Archibald had a career year, but in the big scope of things, it does not move the needle. I think that is one of the reasons we would go on a tear and then go into the tank. When things were hitting on all cylinders it did not look too bad, but when not, we crumbled.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have some talent. It just rarely shows up to play. Who are our most talented players? How often did you say to yourself, "wow, OEL really came to play tonight. He's changing this game!" You can do the same for Keller, Stepan, etc. Then divide by 82.
How can you say they were giving it their all this season with a straight face? Richardson shared the team lead in goals with a number smaller than 20! We had a five game losing streak against teams including Vancouver, Edmonton, and New Jersey in "the most important game of the season"-mode where they didn't even look like they were trying.

This ship will never be raised from the shoals by the tide of AHL and fourth-line players trying. They've relied on that for nine years. Still hasn't worked.

Our best players have to be our best players. The guys with talent. The guys collecting the few large checks written by our broke owners. When I say the core is disinterested and doesn't show up to play, rest assured I'm not considering Kempe, Archibald, Cousins, Richardson, et al as core players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have some talent. It just rarely shows up to play. Who are our most talented players? How often did you say to yourself, "wow, OEL really came to play tonight. He's changing this game!" You can do the same for Keller, Stepan, etc. Then divide by 82.
How can you say they were giving it their all this season with a straight face? Richardson shared the team lead in goals with a number smaller than 20! We had a five game losing streak against teams including Vancouver, Edmonton, and New Jersey in "the most important game of the season"-mode where they didn't even look like they were trying.

This ship will never be raised from the shoals by the tide of AHL and fourth-line players trying. They've relied on that for nine years. Still hasn't worked.

Our best players have to be our best players. The guys with talent. The guys collecting the few large checks written by our broke owners. When I say the core is disinterested and doesn't show up to play, rest assured I'm not considering Kempe, Archibald, Cousins, Richardson, et al as core players.
OEL aside, our most talented players are second and third liners. We don't have a McDavid, Eichel, Stamkos, etc. etc. etc. With our budget we can be competitive, but over the long haul, it's hard to win consistently. Richardson had a career year, it happens, good for him. Keller had a terrible year, and he would be the first to admit it, but you forget he is only a kid in uncharted waters. Must have patience with him.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Flyers have fired assistant coach Kris Knoblauch.

He was pretty highly regarding coming out of Erie. I wonder if he can coach a semi-decent powerplay.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think the Oilers need a vet coach who plays offense. Someone like Lindy Ruff fits that description. He's from Edmonton too so living there again shouldn't be too awful. He's current an assistant with NYR.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
KHL star Nigel Dawes it is!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The Allen hire I can understand and appreciate.

The MacLean hire I am extremely skeptical of. I hate to be the Debbie Downer but...

PP% NHL Rank:

02/03 NJD: (First NHL AC Job)
03/04 NJD: 30th out of 30
04/05 NJD: (Lock Out)
05/06 NJD: 18th out of 30
06/07 NJD: 15th out of 30
07/08 NJD: 21th out of 30
08/09 NJD: 16th out of 30
09/10 NJD: (Hired as AHL HC)
10/11 NJD: 29th out of 30 (Promoted to NHL HC and fired mid season)
11/12 CAR: 20th out of 30 (mid season replacement as NHL AC)
12/13 CAR: 29th out of 30
13/14 CAR: 28th out of 30

...this is EXTREMELY damning stuff. I know that I said the "fit is more important than the sum of past accomplishments" but this is REALLY terrible. That's his entire NHL coaching career right there. He's been the Forwards/PP coach every years he's been an NHL AC and he's had a consistently ineffective to terrible PP every single year. All of them are bad. Not one season with an effective PP.

The average PP% Rank of his 8 NHL AC seasons is 22nd out of 30.

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

...it's no wonder he was out of coaching. I'd say he probably should've stayed out of coaching. This is truly unacceptable.
Yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad